Stock Pictures

Have you sold or killed anything off him yet? Any few we ever had killed poorly compared to how they looked. Very framey cattle though, they typically make nice square looking cows I think
We have sold both weanlings and stores off him. Found that they sold as well as any comparable limousin. Have a good few of them that we hope to kill next summer. They have done very well and never seen meal only grass.

Have found that the best ones are off full continental cows (LM preferably, but also off CH and bb). Breed off anything with any % of Friesan and you have a lot of bone. I'll tell you more when the time comes but I can't see why, bred off a good cow, they won't do as well as any other breed off the same cow. I don't know how they will kill out but time will tell .

Last edited:
20181029_161249_zpsrfih2woe.jpg

Final paddock for this bunch before housing next weekend.

I've been feeding these in the evening with my workboots, moved the feed troughs with the 3600 from our wettest field, something you'd struggle to do in September usually.

I'll be delighted if we get this eaten off this week with little to no damage.

We have our weanlings on slats and more to bring from Leitrim next week. They are very contented. We have good quality silage for them this year and will be aiming to feed them about 2kg per day of meal.

Screenshot_20181106-102003.png

We also have a pen of cull cows. I had intended to have them gone to the factory by now but thankfully silage is plentyful and I will keep them beyond Christmas if I need to - whenever we see a price rise.
We have only a handful of suckler cows left in galway. They calved themselves in July and August so will suck calves until April and the calves will have access to the back pen and the feeder.

Screenshot_20181106-102057.png

Still have the stores out on grass. I have 2 pens of them. One will go into this shed and get approx 2kg per day of meal from the lick feeder. They will go to grass early to hopefully be fit for slaughter in mid may. The second group are going to another shed which has a single pen of slats and a shallow tank. They will move back to this shed when the cows are slaughtered. They will not get much meal but will go to grass early and hopefully he slaughtered in July.

Final walk as a free man. For 4 months anyway. At least its 8 weeks later than last year. Pushing 8 years old now. Very fertile, good feet (he bulls cows on slats), easy calving, (we use him on heifers). Produces great calves. It would be hard to find another bull like him.

IMG_20181110_101605.jpg IMG_20181110_101607.jpg IMG_20181110_101731.jpg

These few were happy to pose for the camera. I wish they were all like the last lad, be interesting to see which of these pays the best but I won't know for a few months yet, I'll come back to it.View attachment 57365 View attachment 57366 View attachment 57367
Back eventually, so the FR was bought at 315kg for €660, a bit too much paid for him, killed out 384kg O+3+ and made €1458 leaving €798, the CHX was bought at 270kg for €770, killed out 420kg R=2+ and made €1646 leaving €876, the LMX was bought at 270kg for €755, killed out 459kg U=4= and made €1859 leaving €1104, it has to be said the LMX was an exceptional animal born 5th May '16, never saw a grain of meal since I bought him 1st April '17 and was killed at 28 months.

Back eventually, so the FR was bought at 315kg for €660, a bit too much paid for him, killed out 384kg O+3+ and made €1458 leaving €798, the CHX was bought at 270kg for €770, killed out 420kg R=2+ and made €1646 leaving €876, the LMX was bought at 270kg for €755, killed out 459kg U=4= and made €1859 leaving €1104, it has to be said the LMX was an exceptional animal born 5th May '16, never saw a grain of meal since I bought him 1st April '17 and was killed at 28 months.

Great performance there Arthur, well done :Thumbp2:

Did the factory kick up about the weights?

Holy cow!!!!!
Capture343-750x450.png

Back