straw price???

James

whats the going rate for rounnd bales of barley straw atm ? have a few extra to sell

Neighbour gave £20 for 4x4's a month ago.

Just looking at the Gazette right now and someone has 4x4's of Barley straw for £10! must be middling stuff :001_unsure:

About €15 a bale loaded at the minute is what we are getting, but no big loads going.
It's been a pretty bad year for selling hay and straw!

About €15 a bale loaded at the minute is what we are getting, but no big loads going.

Forage is plentiful this year, I bought a stack of 120 bales last week for €17, double wrapped dry chopped second cut that I baled for him last August. With fertilizer, diesel and plastic gone up, they are cheaper than anything I could make this year.

Forage is plentiful this year, I bought a stack of 120 bales last week for €17, double wrapped dry chopped second cut that I baled for him last August. With fertilizer, diesel and plastic gone up, they are cheaper than anything I could make this year.

Last year was a pretty good year for us with grass growth and getting possibly the best first cut of silage we have ever made.Anyway we have 140 bales of well made second cut with 6 layers left over with everything out now:thumbup1:

Oh, the county paper is packed with silage and straw for sale......most of it is poor though.

Straw is making around £15 here...same as harvest time.

Seen silage in the paper today for......£9 a bale :ohmy:, he'll be making a fortune at that.

€12/3 we have been told but no sign of him coming to collect it yet. To be honest not too worried yet as it is a nuisance taking harrows and ploughs off to load straw.

Second year in a row though that you'd be better off selling it off the field.

how true indeed.
i have bales in the yard standing me approx €27 euro each from last yr.

Been gettin €13 out of the shed for straw and all gone now.
Also have good and ok hay for sale but no sign of it going anywhere :sad:

how true indeed.
i have bales in the yard standing me approx €27 euro each from last yr.

I bet that is excellent quality 72% DMD + material though.

Any musings on wrap price up there yet? Asked about buying rolls now (ie last years wrap) and was told it was sold out.

Going to chop our bales this year to cut down on plastic as the 4610 should be able to manage them chopped.

I bet that is excellent quality 72% DMD + material though.

Any musings on wrap price up there yet? Asked about buying rolls now (ie last years wrap) and was told it was sold out.

Going to chop our bales this year to cut down on plastic as the 4610 should be able to manage them chopped.
it is yes.
no prices yet, normally they dont have prices til ya near need the feckin stuff, its like the fert up here.
all old stock sold out in jan when i asked about it.
dry it out til its near hay i say, it ill feed the same really but last way longer.

430 for 10-10-20 here, haven't enquired about nitrogen yet as I think it is going to slip back in price - heard a figure around 320. All in euro of course!
bought 24t of 27,2.5,5 compound at the end of jan there for €395 a tonne so it looks like it didnt get any cheaper then so.

it is yes.
no prices yet, normally they dont have prices til ya near need the feckin stuff, its like the fert up here.
all old stock sold out in jan when i asked about it.
dry it out til its near hay i say, it ill feed the same really but last way longer.

been told it'll be at least £5-6 more per roll :scared:

been told it'll be at least £5-6 more per roll :scared:
any excuse eh!.
its got a rise every year now for a right while.
anyways, i dont supply it to the farmer, he gets his own, only bit i have to buy is for myself which is only about 25 odd rolls so thats not too bad.
altho id say the net will follow suit.

sorry we went a bit off track there james, from straw to fert to wrap.

any excuse eh!.
anyways, i dont supply it to the farmer, he gets his own, only bit i have to buy is for myself which is only about 25 odd rolls so thats not too bad.

Do you not get trouble with rolls being kept poorly?

Do you not get trouble with rolls being kept poorly?
rarely to be fair, once or twice in the last 3-4 yrs.
we would have them well primed about keeping them good, also they know how many they need from the previous yr roughly.
to be honest i thought it wouldnt work, but it did, when i started not supplying it originally we had to carry a spare roll just in case, quit that the following yr.
but then id be sharp too, ive left fields where the (new customer/messer) didnt bother to get wrap even tho he had 3-4 days notice, id bale them up at some stage, but he goes to the bottom of the list again, if that happens you, the next time you will have wrap in the field, and if there aint no next time, well thats fine by me too.
put it this way, if they cant afford to buy the wrap, sure as hell they will struggle to pay me for the baling.

any excuse eh!.

That never caught on here....my worry would have been that the farmer gets the cheapest stuff he can find, then if it goes bad it's the balerman's fault...as it always is :001_rolleyes:...

That never caught on here....my worry would have been that the farmer gets the cheapest stuff he can find, then if it goes bad it's the balerman's fault...as it always is :001_rolleyes:...
that was my worry too, but in reality, if it goes bad then it really can only be the wrap or the nitrogen, simple to test the n in the grass, ive only ever had to do it once and turned out the grass was at fault.
now, if the bales are like an egg on the field then as you know it ill lead to all kinds of problems.
since i started baling ive had a guarantee that if the bales are bad, and its my fault, then ill replace every bale for any man i bale for, never had to avail of it yet.

Work the same here with the guarantee, we get the plastic rep to check out the bales & if he finds anything wrong with our work we will buy the silage....never bought any yet...had him out a couple of times....once for haylege made in October for horses, was on the ground for 9 days & that was after the horses had grazed any decent grass out of it :whistling:..

Back