Straw Prices

Back on the subject of straw, all other things being equal, how many round bales would normally be in an 8x4x3 bale? Both at normal density. I realize rounds can vary in diameter.
2, i didn,t think there would be but used both last year in a straw blower and i square did the same as 2 rounds out of a welger

Straw must be getting scarce. Brother had a lad ring him this morning looking had we straw for sale . He bought 20 bales off him last spring. He only sold it as had no use for it .

Straw must be getting scarce. Brother had a lad ring him this morning looking had we straw for sale . He bought 20 bales off him last spring. He only sold it as had no use for it .

It’ll have to get desperately scarce. Considering what’s still on the ground and how early animals are going in.

There should be 400-450kgs in 8x4x3 but its usually closer to 350kgs as everyone sells by the bale. Rounds 160-220kgs same principle applied. Farmers and merchants love hauling light loads. Idiots
I sell 8X4X3 as two rounds, 330-360kgs depending on if they're for bedding or chopped for feeding, they are baled with an XD baler which could put 500kg in them, I've offered to sell by the kg which would mean I'd have less bales per ac and could store more with less haulage but a lot of farmers just want cheap bales not big ones.

Essentially the same as a combines straw chopper @CORK . Straight blades slicing through 2 sets of stationary straight blades. Does a very good job, but as she has no pickup reel, she needs the straw fluffed up or else you risk either missing some or hitting the ground if you try and go low.

That's doing an excellent job Skimmer considering you had that cut when I was down the last day which must have been late July/early August.

Down just over 2 months when I chopped it @nashmach . Quite rotten underneath.

I'm not surprised. I've done a fair bit of driving on the tractor today and There's a lot of straw out there now with grass, weeds and bits thrown out growing up through it which is going to be next thing to impossible to get dry in my book.

Getting back to the OP. Would anyone be prepared to say how much I should be charging for 4X4 bales of barley straw loaded out of a shed in east Cork? They are tied with twine,not net and although not "saved without rain " they still have a golden colour to them .PM if preferred. I don't want to screw anyone but I don't want to be screwed either! Many thanks.

Last edited:
Getting back to the OP. Would anyone be prepared to say how much I should be charging for 4X4 bales of barley straw loaded out of a shed in east Cork? They are tied with twine,not net and although not "saved without rain " they still have a golden colour to them .PM if preferred. I don't want to screw anyone but I don't want to be screwed either! Many thanks.

You should get €16 provided they are dry straw and they look like nicely made bales.

I wouldn't under sell it, it is in your shed now and wouldn't cost you much to keep it till Christmas/New Year, straw is very scarce.

Straw is straw, twine or net, that's just the packaging.

Straw is straw, twine or net, that's just the packaging.
Agreed. But I've had lads turn up to buy straw and say "you never said it was twine. I'll never be able to get rid of that,no one wants to be pulling twine off bales now!" Needless to say they were looking for a discount but didn't get it.

You should get €16 provided they are dry straw and they look like nicely made bales.
Good straw was 15 off the field here when we collected it . Alright we're not in a big tillage area . Good straw in a shed is surely worth more than 16 a bale out of a shed . I'd be looking for 18 if it was mine . Barley straw is making 23/ 25 delivered I believe at the minute. Net or twine is irrelevant when it's scarce.

Agreed. But I've had lads turn up to buy straw and say "you never said it was twine. I'll never be able to get rid of that,no one wants to be pulling twine off bales now!" Needless to say they were looking for a discount but didn't get it.

It's nonsense, particularly when straw is scarce. I'd argue that twine is more useful, easier to dispose of and a little more environmentally friendly due to the amounts of plastic involved but when did farmers ever think about the environment when it didn't suit them.

15 or 16 quid is a great price for straw in any year. I think you would be doing well out of it at that price without crucifying the next lad. Maybe the same lad would come back and buy off you again some year it's harder to shift if he was treated well now.

15 or 16quid is a great price for straw in any year. I think you would be doing well out of it at that price without crucifying the next lad. Maybe the same lad would come back and buy off you again some year it's harder to shift if he was treated well now.
The next lad will probably be the first man to kick you in the arse next year when straw is making €8 a bale, unless they are regular customers. Charge the market rate for god sake!!
I dont see the sector of farming currently on top giving too much back to the rest of us.

Back