Straw Prices

The ideal way is weight at an average moisture but can understand it takes a lot to change current perceptions.

The next lad will probably be the first man to kick you in the arse next year when straw is making €8 a bale, unless they are regular customers. Charge the market rate for god sake!!
I dont see the sector of farming currently on top giving too much back to the rest of us.
I find this funny because so many people on here are constantly saying that the factories should pay a fair price and creamery should pay a fair price regardless of the market level prevailing at a given time.
Then the first opportunity that comes to screw a soft touch... another Farmer lads jump up and ride him to town.
Our co-operative nature seems to be diminishing.

All that is fine if you are fully accepting of the vagaries of the open market but it is also a demonstration of why farmers find it so hard to take on the processors and buyers in the industry.

I find this funny because so many people on here are constantly saying that the factories should pay a fair price and creamery should pay a fair price regardless of the market level prevailing at a given time.
Then the first opportunity that comes to screw a soft touch... another Farmer lads jump up and ride him to town.

All that is fine if you are fully accepting of the vagaries of the open market but it is also a demonstration of why farmers find it so hard to take on the processors and buyers in the industry.
I have no problem paying the going rate and been paid the going rate, I cant see any problem with that. I fully accept market prices, market manipulation is another thing completely and that's what we have to fight in or industry.

I have no problem paying the going rate and been paid the going rate, I cant see any problem with that. I fully accept market prices, market manipulation is another thing completely and that's what we have to fight in or industry.
Tillage farmers keeping straw in their sheds and releasing it only when pressure on stock farmers causes prices to rise is market manipulation too. And it's possible because sfp Will keep them going for a few months so no immediate need for cash.

Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander I know and not blaming tillage men, I sell straw too. Just pointing out that if we had the same stomach for a real fight with the bullies as we do for beating up the weakling we could have a different industry

I have tried that up and down and have mostly had to walk away. Tillage farms are on their knees and going out of business left right and centre, if you can get good money for straw this year it may be a sizable portion of the profits for a good few tillage farmers this year.
I am only sowing Winter Barley this year for the extra value of the straw, it is terrible that tillage has come to that but here we are. I don't see a clamber to use Irish grain and to pay a sustainable price for it, if tillage is to survive in this country it needs prices to rise, if we were getting sustainable prices for our grain I would agree with you, but unfortunately we are not.

I have tried that up and down and have mostly had to walk away. Tillage farms are on their knees and going out of business left right and centre, if you can get good money for straw this year it may be a sizable portion of the profits for a good few tillage farmers this year.
I am only sowing Winter Barley this year for the extra value of the straw, it is terrible that tillage has come to that but here we are. I don't see a clamber to use Irish grain and to pay a sustainable price for it, if tillage is to survive in this country it needs prices to rise, if we were getting sustainable prices for our grain I would agree with you, but unfortunately we are not.
Understood but they're not going out of business because of the average price of straw over the past 10 years and the price of straw won't save them either

Tillage farmers keeping straw in their sheds and releasing it only when pressure on stock farmers causes prices to rise is market manipulation too. And it's possible because sfp Will keep them going for a few months so no immediate need for cash.

Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander I know and not blaming tillage men, I sell straw too. Just pointing out that if we had the same stomach for a real fight with the bullies as we do for beating up the weakling we could have a different industry
I dont think any cereal farmer holding onto a few hundred bales is market manipulation as there are thousands of cereal farmers (thousands might be a bit far fetched soon). If there were only 3 tillage farmers holding all the straw it would be a different kettle of fish.

Getting back to the OP. Would anyone be prepared to say how much I should be charging for 4X4 bales of barley straw loaded out of a shed in east Cork? They are tied with twine,not net and although not "saved without rain " they still have a golden colour to them .PM if preferred. I don't want to screw anyone but I don't want to be screwed either! Many thanks.
Rang a man over near stradbally in big straw country looking for a bit of golden straw , he always has some in the shed , not really selling yet but it will be at least €20 , would be nice straw but nothing big about the bales !!! Can’t blame him really and he has loads if shed space.
Talking to another man over the weekend and a lot of straw in Wexford wasn’t got and won’t be either and big sheds that are normally full during the winter are empty as straw is moving very quickly.

I used to think that it would be fair to keep the price roughly the same from year to year but it doesn’t work that way.

Dog eat dog, the going rate is the going rate. End of.
Exactly, if you let it off cheap your only screwing yourself.

For the bolloxing that goes with straw you would wonder is it half dear enough-for example
Back in July at the winter barley straw there was a good day and we got a round and big square baler in, a dickhead farmer wanted 600 small squares so we said bale them yourself but make sure to be there by 10.30 am as the other 2 balers were coming at 11.30 and they would bale the rest, he was late and the other 2 were flaking through straw when mr dickhead rings and says there won't be enough swaths left so I told the other 2 go to another place and bale away, mr dickhead makes his small bales and draws them, never taught of ringing to say that there was 3 swarths left that he did not need, they broke 45 small bales and left them there never bothered to re-bale or takes the twines out so all got nicely wet.
Had a lad drawing straw yesterday then and he broke 3 rounds of spring barley straw and never taught to inform me until I went spraying the field this eve and boom 3 broken bales after loading with a bloody silage grab, other field I phoned a lad numerous times to take his 30 bales so presumed they were gone with 10 days, not at all still in the field so I had to spray over them-jaysus some lads would really test your patience. It should be dearer for some lads. Sorry I'm hormonal this evening.....

For the bolloxing that goes with straw you would wonder is it half dear enough-for example
Back in July at the winter barley straw there was a good day and we got a round and big square baler in, a dickhead farmer wanted 600 small squares so we said bale them yourself but make sure to be there by 10.30 am as the other 2 balers were coming at 11.30 and they would bale the rest, he was late and the other 2 were flaking through straw when mr dickhead rings and says there won't be enough swaths left so I told the other 2 go to another place and bale away, mr dickhead makes his small bales and draws them, never taught of ringing to say that there was 3 swarths left that he did not need, they broke 45 small bales and left them there never bothered to re-bale or takes the twines out so all got nicely wet.
Had a lad drawing straw yesterday then and he broke 3 rounds of spring barley straw and never taught to inform me until I went spraying the field this eve and boom 3 broken bales after loading with a bloody silage grab, other field I phoned a lad numerous times to take his 30 bales so presumed they were gone with 10 days, not at all still in the field so I had to spray over them-jaysus some lads would really test your patience. It should be dearer for some lads. Sorry I'm hormonal this evening.....

I’d chop it in future rather than deal with any of them again. Don’t say a word until you have been paid and the combine is actually in the field next year, at least then you’ll get the satisfaction of telling them to politely fcuk off. That’s what I’d do anyway.

Your not the only one it happens to that sort of stuff goes on here I had one guy begging me to make 200 smalls bales for him and I'll be on tomorrow 6 week later there still sitting in the field

Used to have that Boloxing going on to, not anymore. Farmer is rang told straw is baled and if not cleared in the week will be sold else where. It only took one season for them to realise if they don’t come for it will be gone, might have lost a customer or two but gained one or two more valuable ones.

Well I have always been paid for straw and never had a problem . There was a man used to bale about 600 small squares off a farm we used to rent and he would come in and pay us when he saw us in ploughing it for the next crop . We went in and ploughed and sowed it and there was no sign of him so we moved on to the next place . I was heading into town late one Friday night and he rang me and said he was in hospital so had not seen us and how much did he owe and he would get one of his sons to drop us over a cheque . On the Sunday morning I was suffering from Diesel Powers ailment so I turned on the radio to listen to the death notices in case I might hear my own name mentioned and who was the first name called out only the man that owed me for the straw .
The week after the funeral his son came over and paid for the straw and said that when his father realised that he was dying he looked for his phone and rang me to see what he owed for the straw and left strict instructions that I was to be paid .
I cannot understand why the rest of you end up selling your straw to Raperees and Tories and I end up dealing with Gentlemen that their dying wish is that I be paid .

Well I have always been paid for straw and never had a problem . There was a man used to bale about 600 small squares off a farm we used to rent and he would come in and pay us when he saw us in ploughing it for the next crop . We went in and ploughed and sowed it and there was no sign of him so we moved on to the next place . I was heading into town late one Friday night and he rang me and said he was in hospital so had not seen us and how much did he owe and he would get one of his sons to drop us over a cheque . On the Sunday morning I was suffering from Diesel Powers ailment so I turned on the radio to listen to the death notices in case I might hear my own name mentioned and who was the first name called out only the man that owed me for the straw .
The week after the funeral his son came over and paid for the straw and said that when his father realised that he was dying he looked for his phone and rang me to see what he owed for the straw and left strict instructions that I was to be paid .
I cannot understand why the rest of you end up selling your straw to Raperees and Tories and I end up dealing with Gentlemen that their dying wish is that I be paid .
It also helps that you turn on the straw chopper sometimes!!

Isn't that a fair sign of a man that his name and reputation meant that much to him that he was that concerned about paying his debts before he died :smile: others would die smiling knowing they caught someone out. We have 95% good customers who take it during the harvest, small few messers that my father put up with but I don't, fill the shed most years good and bad to have some few beer tokens in the winter, There are very few customer who bought it during the winter and become repeat lads, most or them however come once no matter how dear or cheap I sell it to them they are only coming because they're stuck or I'm the cheapest, no turn in them I find. I can remember well the father having to sell Wheaten straw for €5 when there was poor demand, we didn't have a chopper so it barely covered the baling/loading and I can't remember one farmer saying hold up I'll give you a bit extra when they eventually produced the cheque book, they were only too delighted to pay nothing. Same always went for selling fodder beet, lads very quickly forget you selling it to them at a reasonable price when it was scarce on a tough winter, the next time it's plentiful they won't want it after telling you the previous year that they would definitely take it again because now they're able to get it cheaper off someone who is more stuck than you are :drunk:

Great story, I know a lad that was of the opposite view, and one day a man that was owed allot of money from him arrived. The lovely gentleman turned to a son that was with him and said "if anything was ever to happen to me, this is the first man to be paid"

Exactly, if you let it off cheap your only screwing yourself.

Ya and in the "cheap" years they still want to beat us down in price, and we have to sell it
Oh ya and they wouldn't need to be dying either to smile if they caught someone, know of plenty of crooks around the place who are very much alive

Last edited by a moderator:
That is because gentlemen deal with gentlemen john. And well you know it.

All I will say reading the above is thankfully I've only got a small bit of tillage that the straw is sold from at some stage.....

I'm very much in agreement with Claas Grass about selling out of the shed.

Last edited:

We will have to get you a column in the Journal or VIP magazine........

Back