Straw Prices

IMV maybe not politically correct to say but the biggest pup tillage farmers were sold was last summer when a smallish carrot was dangled and we were all encouraged to help our fellow farmers by growing cover crops for cattle to poach our land during the winter instead of being housed. The result being sheds of Barley and straw carried over and the same stock farmers wouldn't look sideways at you now incase they felt compelled to buy straw :ban:

How true. I said at the time that I wouldn’t bother my ass doing such a caper for the few bob that was on offer.

I’m sure it worked out for some lads but I certainly wasn’t going there.

Did Samco have something for taking the cobs off and making ground ear silage I think they were calling it. I think I seen it at a ploughing match or somewhere.

Done correctly there are benefits for both farmers. But everyone has to be on same wave length

I’d agree, only problem is that a lot of guys I see strip grazing crops are so far away from my wavelength that it’s not funny.

Round feeder looking like an island in a sea of scutter.

IMV maybe not politically correct to say but the biggest pup tillage farmers were sold was last summer when a smallish carrot was dangled and we were all encouraged to help our fellow farmers by growing cover crops for cattle to poach our land during the winter instead of being housed. The result being sheds of Barley and straw carried over and the same stock farmers wouldn't look sideways at you now incase they felt compelled to buy straw :ban:

It's well noted also that the demand for wheat for wholecropping is well down too....

Crazy High prices for last year have killed that game.
As @Barrowsider said, the only time a lot of wholecrop gets cut in Ireland is when silage is scarce, it’s an easy get out as you can just approach a tillage farmer and secure your fodder without any previous agreement. I doubt anyone who is in the system of using it every year didn’t cut it this year from what I’ve seen around here anyway, the price last year was high because grain price was high simple as, you can’t blame tillage farmers for that.

Did Samco have something for taking the cobs off and making ground ear silage I think they were calling it. I think I seen it at a ploughing match or somewhere.

Yea they did. We borrowed it in 2010 or 11 I think it was. A waste of a day really. Took so long to set it all up on the harvester and to get it cutting it right. Believe they feed was good though but we never done it again for anyone

AADED796-90C9-4ACF-9659-B3EB6D34DCF2.png

It's the abundance of silage this year that has killed it. Last years purchase of wholecrop was always going to be a "once off" for the majority.

Not sure, I used to buy wholecrop wheat yr on yr of the same lad. Usually 4 ton crop and straw when grain was similar to currently. Last year he was offered a thousand an acre, which it wasn't worth but the demand was their for that price. I obvs couldn't compete at that money so no Wholecrop last year, and once you get out of doing something that was a habit, you often change your ways, so this year I haven't bought either, not due to price or silage volume, just got used to working without it last season.

It wasnt the tillage farmers fault, but wholecrop was never worth 1000-1200 in a field standing even in last years grain market.

Does anyone know if a tractor operated straw chopper can be hired anywhere in Cork as i am thinking of chopping the spring barley straw? (dont have one on the combine)
At the stage now of supplying the bare minimum to long term customers and chop the rest if i could hire one of these rather than giving it away cheap or feeling under compliment to guys for taking it.

Does anyone know if a tractor operated straw chopper can be hired anywhere in Cork as i am thinking of chopping the spring barley straw? (dont have one on the combine)
At the stage now of supplying the bare minimum to long term customers and chop the rest if i could hire one of these rather than giving it away cheap or feeling under compliment to guys for taking it.

I have one but it’s not great so wouldn’t hire it out.

Atkins did have one years ago.

I assume you don’t have storage space for bales? I think they could be valuable yet.

Would a trailed silage harvester work? Just blow it across the rows rather than straight behind you?

I have one but it’s not great so wouldn’t hire it out.

Atkins did have one years ago.

I assume you don’t have storage space for bales? I think they could be valuable yet.

Thats fair enough, i was thinking if there was a dealer who might hire one to help against its depreciation. Out of interest what make is yours?

I haven't seen any in Atkins earlier this year when i had a good look around there.

No storage space on my own farm, barely able to fit the machinery in the sheds i have. (too much machinery my wife says!!!)

I have a good straw customer and friend 17 miles from me who has agreed to store some if i wish, but it becomes a pain in the butt then trying to sell to guys wanting a few at the time, travelling 17 miles each way with the tractor and loader. I do not like inconveniencing my friend borrowing their tractor and loader.
Trailed double chops are very scarce now also, but not a bad idea, I know a spud man who used to have one for removing tops so might try him.

I'm of the same thinking myself. Would a flail topper do the same do I wonder?.

Not ideal but it worked in autumn 2017 when there was straw everywhere still to be baled. We had a few headlands that still had straw on them and no sign of weather to bale it and I wanted to get ploughing for winter barley. I put all the knives in the baler, removed the bar to stop the bale rolling back into the door and opened the door and chopped away. Most of the straw was as it fell out of the combine so no stones. Scattered the rows of chopped straw with the lely lotus after. Not ideal but needs must.

Hire in a silage harvester? Or collect it and make compost out of it

Back