Straw Prices

Forget about piling it up to rot, just spread behind the combine and work it in. Saves the cost of muck spreading.

Forget about piling it up to rot, just spread behind the combine and work it in. Saves the cost of muck spreading.
In an ideal world with straw choppers thats the right way to do it.
Piling it up to rot and going out to spread it next year isn't ideal but for me anyway I'd do that before I'd sell it for 8 euro a bale to ungrateful feckers who I looked after last year when straw was making big money. And if you'd to draw the straw off the land and stack it into a shed only to sell it for 8 euro then by the time costs are subtracted you'll have about 2 - 2.50 euro for yourself.

Piling it up to rot and going out to spread it next year isn't ideal but for me anyway I'd do that before I'd sell it for 8 euro a bale to ungrateful feckers who I looked after last year when straw was making big money. And if you'd to draw the straw off the land and stack it into a shed only to sell it for 8 euro then by the time costs are subtracted you'll have about 2 - 2.50 euro for yourself.
How about trying to do a deal with someone to take the straw and bring it back as dung next year like some do in the UK

If it's in the swath once over with a tedder and plough it down.

Just to rebalance things a bit, I’ve heard of €20/bale for 4x4 bales of barley straw collected out of a shed.
I know for sure that oat straw has been sold recently collected from the field at €14.

€35/bale for round bales in 2018 was too much in my view, we farm here in an area where straw is scarce, €22/bale was what we sold for in 2018.
€10 or €12/bale in the field is no good to the seller, €35 is no good to anybody in the long term.
The market will find its own level somewhere in the middle.

Imv there was a back lash this harvest against straw prices, not helped by the mood of many beef farmers who were and are struggling, many didn’t buy much at harvest, it’ll be bought later and it will cost more.
Straw deals should be done farmer to farmer at harvest time if possible, if a dealer has to get a cut out of it, then the buyer or seller is loosing money, as farmers we should be sticking together and helping each other out as best we can when we can.

Just to rebalance things a bit, I’ve heard of €20/bale for 4x4 bales of barley straw collected out of a shed.
I know for sure that oat straw has been sold recently collected from the field at €14.

€35/bale for round bales in 2018 was too much in my view, we farm here in an area where straw is scarce, €22/bale was what we sold for in 2018.
€10 or €12/bale in the field is no good to the seller, €35 is no good to anybody in the long term.
The market will find its own level somewhere in the middle.

Imv there was a back lash this harvest against straw prices, not helped by the mood of many beef farmers who were and are struggling, many didn’t buy much at harvest, it’ll be bought later and it will cost more.
Straw deals should be done farmer to farmer at harvest time if possible, if a dealer has to get a cut out of it, then the buyer or seller is loosing money, as farmers we should be sticking together and helping each other out as best we can when we can.
The only solution going forward is to adopt a system like the UK where straw, hay and silage is traded by the tonne. At least that way everyone knows what they're getting, there's too much f*cking around in this country with loose bales and codology. If anyone is dealing they should have a proper weighbridge and set their prices accordingly, I wouldn't begrudge anyone making a few pound out of it if they were doing it right and it would take a lot of messers out of the equation on both sides.

Any one from wexford on here, maybe verify it, a lad told me perfect dry barley straw in sheds in wexford, available at 5-6euro, if that's true, they'd be be better chopping it at harvest time. The 4e lad has no expense only the baling of it.

Any one from wexford on here, maybe verify it, a lad told me perfect dry barley straw in sheds in wexford, available at 5-6euro, if that's true, they'd be be better chopping it at harvest time. The 4e lad has no expense only the baling of it.
It's making at least double that at the moment around here. At least 11 to 12 euro and I'd be surprised if not a bit more.

What you said and another €3 to bring it to Kilkenny or Waterford is what I see lads charging.

a lot of herds are indoors one month earlier than normal.

bales in fields will be badly damaged but straw in sheds will only be going one way in value.....

One large dairy herd was already getting concerned about their silage stocks today....

Any year bales are left in fields, there’s usually a panic the following spring when the hunger bites.

Back