Straw Prices

Any decent straw will be the tenner plus delivery.
Any of the Small money stuff, you could build a house with. Baled damp .

Exactly. I have a 120 odd bales in the shed. If no one takes them I will leave them there till next year. Who knows what next year will hold. Won’t be giving them away

Are the flywheel type better than the drum type foragers for chopping straw. Good idea to have one when the combine doesn’t.
I’m not sure of that, the precision chop one seems to do a good job. I saw a double chop at straw years ago and it was good. I’ll have to modify the spout a bit for spreading the straw, at least I’ll have a few days option to bale or not before I chop. If the combine had a chopper then there’d be no second chance to bale it up.

Will we ring OPEC before you start :laugh:
No harm having them on speed dial! It’ll be the most cost effective way to return the straw even if I only end up doing headlands. When the noise starts up at harvest the buyers might have to up their bids in a hurry.

As good a place as any to ask this .(Possibly a stupid question) Had a load of oaten straw land here today 8x4x4 bales . Bales did`nt look overly tight /well packed so thought weight would be poor . Weighed one to see and it was 395kg . Question is oaten straw heavier type of straw then say wheat or barley . Have wheaten here that look like savage tight hard bale and only 320kg .

As good a place as any to ask this .(Possibly a stupid question) Had a load of oaten straw land here today 8x4x4 bales . Bales did`nt look overly tight /well packed so thought weight would be poor . Weighed one to see and it was 395kg . Question is oaten straw heavier type of straw then say wheat or barley . Have wheaten here that look like savage tight hard bale and only 320kg .
Oat straw generally holds more moisture or can be greener at combining, very often need to leave it days before baling. So many variables to bale weight with a square baler, number of flake's per bale, swath shape/ combine your following, moisture content.............. although 320kg in a 8x4x4 is quite low.

Next question how many spike`s / width should you have on bale spikes for moving 8x4x4 bales . Only 2 spikes on the handler here for round bale`s . Have a tendancy to move up through the bale .
Oat straw generally holds more moisture or can be greener at combining, very often need to leave it days before baling. So many variables to bale weight with a square baler, number of flake's per bale, swath shape/ combine your following, moisture content.............. although 320kg in a 8x4x4 is quite low.

Next question how many spike`s / width should you have on bale spikes for moving 8x4x4 bales . Only 2 spikes on the handler here for round bale`s . Have a tendancy to move up through the bale .
Only ever used bale handler here and that's what most use, would be moving two 128x80's this way here with rarely a problem. You do see the odd one using a muck grab but then they can't get in a bale and when they do it gets stuck on!

Oatin straw can bale up funny , bale might look soft but be a good bale , it sits on the ground longer to dry out. Never weighed oatin bales but it can be hard to pack ,395 would seem a little light but then it depends on how much you paid for them ....Wheatin straw bales will always look better as the straw is shorter and breaks easier in the baling process and can leave a nice tight looking bale. Two long spikes will lift one bale at a time but really need 4 if going to lift 2 or more , two 42 inch(I think,don’t use the 48inch) ones and two shorter ones work

those bale weights are way off for 8x4x4, should be close to 500kgs in wheat. 8x4x3 are most dense

This isn’t dear straw . Compared to what round bales cost off the field here @120kg a bale . They were sold as 400kg bales . Its just there appearance made you question it .
Oatin straw can bale up funny , bale might look soft but be a good bale , it sits on the ground longer to dry out. Never weighed oatin bales but it can be hard to pack ,395 would seem a little light but then it depends on how much you paid for them ....Wheatin straw bales will always look better as the straw is shorter and breaks easier in the baling process and can leave a nice tight looking bale. Two long spikes will lift one bale at a time but really need 4 if going to lift 2 or more , two 42 inch(I think,don’t use the 48inch) ones and two shorter ones work

This isn’t dear straw . Compared to what round bales cost off the field here @120kg a bale . They were sold as 400kg bales . Its just there appearance made you question it .
120kgs ffs

any shagged out old baler over here will put at least 180kgs in a round,norm is around the 200

Weighed barley straw for the craic in the winter. Rounds were 160 and squares 320. Baled in serious order 10% moisture.

You will lift those big squares with two spikes. I use the Fleming handler with the pipes off. The bales would be well packed if they are loose bales then they might be a lot harder managed

I bought oaten straw in rounds 2 years ago when straw was dear. They looked awful spongy and light the centre would pull out of them when using the bale spike. Was very surprised when I weighed a full load and they were 180kg. Was baled with a claas 46.
So must be something to do with oaten straw

Back