Straw Prices

Does this person have animals?
As far as I know he has. The only other information I have on the buyer is his son is a contracts manager with a local business so they are not know raving lunatics. If the end of the world as we know it is coming straw would be the least of my worries.

As far as I know he has. The only other information I have on the buyer is his son is a contracts manager with a local business so they are not know raving lunatics. If the end of the world as we know it is coming straw would be the least of my worries.

To have sufficient supplies of Caviar and Bolinger on board the Bogman 1 , to while away the days and nights of your retirement, is of a far more worrying nature.

What's the requirements for the mushroom crowds and wheaten straw, fella I buy some barley straw off asked if I'd take his wheaten straw, wouldn't have a customer for it unless I put it in the shed for the winter, only 30 acres but don't want to have to store it.

What's the requirements for the mushroom crowds and wheaten straw, fella I buy some barley straw off asked if I'd take his wheaten straw, wouldn't have a customer for it unless I put it in the shed for the winter, only 30 acres but don't want to have to store it.

No Terpal allowed on wheat

We have sold some to a local man for mushrooms in the past. No Terpal as Iggy says. Also, I think they bale the bales to a higher density than normal- probably to cut down on baling & transport costs.
With the greatly reduced wheat area, the straw should be in demand.

No Terpal allowed on wheat

no terpal or any shortener containing mepiquat as an active as it follows through and is traceable in the mushrooms, you have to sign a form to say it hasn’t been treated. We don’t supply directly but they take used straw from a stables and we still have to sign the forms etc before they’ll take it

Warning: these figures are largely based on my estimates of straw yields.

I have had a glimpse of the BPS planted areas for harvest 2020, these figures may get some slight adjustments in time.

The following figures are based on my assumptions below for straw yields, they might be too high, or they might be too low, I just took a stab at average bale yields nationally for 2019 & 2020. I have not taken into account the carryover of straw from 2019.

Straw yields in parts of the south look like they will be normal whereas yields in other parts of the country look like they will be well back.

Assumed bale yields (round 4 x 4 equivalents per acre).
  • Winter barley 2019 - 12
  • Winter barley 2020 - 10

• Spring barley 2019 - 9.5
  • Spring barley 2020 - 7

• Winter Wheat 2019 - 12
  • Winter Wheat 2020 - 11

• Spring Wheat 2019 - 9
  • Spring Wheat 2020 - 8

• Winter Oats 2019 - 13
  • Winter Oats 2020 - 11

• Spring Oats 2019 - 12
  • Spring Oats 2020 - 10

Based on the sown areas, not allowing for carryover, there would be a 20% reduction in the production of barley straw, a 35% reduction in the production of wheaten straw & a 13% reduction in the production of oaten straw. Or, a total reduction of the equivalent of 2728659 round bales.

After a good walk round crops this evening. I doubt I'll produce half the straw that I did last year.
Not trying to talk up the market just very much the reality in this area.
I half regret selling a few hundred bales in the last week or so, still I got what I wanted for it so no point in hoping it’d make more next winter. Will WB straw be €20 off the fields for a 4x4 this year? Hard to tell but it should be by the looks of things.

Looking like silage crops are going to be back too. And people will be feeding it some if growth doesn't improve.
In 2018 the second cut was a very light crop of bales. But there were some very good cuts taken in late September which saved the day. Unlike 2018 a lot of people have some left over from last year.

In 2018 the second cut was a very light crop of bales. But there were some very good cuts taken in late September which saved the day. Unlike 2018 a lot of people have some left over from last year.

I know but I think first cuts were good that year . Theres is a good bit left over I suppose alright. Long way to go yet.

And the level of carry over straw wouldn’t want to be underestimated.
That said, unless significant rainfall occurs in the next few weeks, things will get a lot tighter I’d imagine.

And the level of carry over straw wouldn’t want to be underestimated.
That said, unless significant rainfall occurs in the next few weeks, things will get a lot tighter I’d imagine.
Without a doubt, having to replace grass or silage with meal in 2018 cost an open fortune. The upside of that was all the stores were cleaned out which helped the grain price by creating immediate demand. Straw around here that year was down as low as 2 bales an acre.
Thankful of cutting the silage early here. I'd always try have the P+K on in Feb and the N the first week in March.

Winter crops are ok here, the trouble is there's not many of them.
Looking around sb is in two camps, badly established crops - not much straw, and super crops that needed pgr that the drought has now limited.
I'm not sure how much they'll grow up if we get decent rain on Saturday.

Warning: these figures are largely based on my estimates of straw yields.

I have had a glimpse of the BPS planted areas for harvest 2020, these figures may get some slight adjustments in time.

The following figures are based on my assumptions below for straw yields, they might be too high, or they might be too low, I just took a stab at average bale yields nationally for 2019 & 2020. I have not taken into account the carryover of straw from 2019.

Straw yields in parts of the south look like they will be normal whereas yields in other parts of the country look like they will be well back.

Assumed bale yields (round 4 x 4 equivalents per acre).
  • Winter barley 2019 - 12
  • Winter barley 2020 - 10

• Spring barley 2019 - 9.5
  • Spring barley 2020 - 7

• Winter Wheat 2019 - 12
  • Winter Wheat 2020 - 11

• Spring Wheat 2019 - 9
  • Spring Wheat 2020 - 8

• Winter Oats 2019 - 13
  • Winter Oats 2020 - 11

• Spring Oats 2019 - 12
  • Spring Oats 2020 - 10

Based on the sown areas, not allowing for carryover, there would be a 20% reduction in the production of barley straw, a 35% reduction in the production of wheaten straw & a 13% reduction in the production of oaten straw. Or, a total reduction of the equivalent of 2728659 round bales.
I'd say your national averages are a lot too high, I would think you can reduce your forecast by a further 25%

Bookings for straw starting early this year . Winter barley straw might be back a bit but not much , spring barley straw will halve at least , wheat will be back a bit ,oats will halve also If not even less. Had some oatin Straw and it’s now gone so shed is empty. First cuts around here were half what they normally are , have had a few enquiring about wholecrop but some winter barley is nearly gone to far and most of it is for malt and seed so have contracts , the same with spring barley but with the yield being so bad looking that lads are not really looking for spring barley for whole crop. The feed wheat I have I sell to two local farmers every year so not going to pull that out for wholecrop as they are there every year and wheat is looking promising enough.

Bookings for straw starting early this year . Winter barley straw might be back a bit but not much , spring barley straw will halve at least , wheat will be back a bit ,oats will halve also If not even less. Had some oatin Straw and it’s now gone so shed is empty. First cuts around here were half what they normally are , have had a few enquiring about wholecrop but some winter barley is nearly gone to far and most of it is for malt and seed so have contracts , the same with spring barley but with the yield being so bad looking that lads are not really looking for spring barley for whole crop. The feed wheat I have I sell to two local farmers every year so not going to pull that out for wholecrop as they are there every year and wheat is looking promising enough.
Any estimates at the price of a 2020 WB 4x4 bale of straw? Phone has been melted this week with lads local and far away buying 2019 straw here, demand has far outweighed supply.

Back