Subsoiling

C

Cork

Did a bit of subsoiling today.

Soil nice and dry at depth so thought it would be a good opportunity to loosen up some rutted tramlines and compacted field edges.

Also been doing some land drainage so some trafficked headlands needed a bit of loosening.

Have this old Blench subsoiler, older than myself but does a good job.

Worked at 13-14".

To my surprise, the rutted tramlines didn't need a whole pile of pull where as some of the field entrances etc really had the Deere scrambling for grip.

Also chopped up the rape straw after the rape trials with the old Kidd straw chopper pictured below (trials combine doesn't have a chopper).

Attachments

• WP_20140809_001.jpg
    WP_20140809_001.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 214
  • WP_20140809_002.jpg
    WP_20140809_002.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 201
  • WP_20140809_003.jpg
    WP_20140809_003.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 197
  • WP_20140809_004.jpg
    WP_20140809_004.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 191
Hi lads i don't do much subsoiling but i.m wondering if it would be worth doing some oon the fields that would be going into spring barley next year or would it be counter productive? Used to do it before when the spring barley was being prepped for but the last few years didn't suit so i left it.

Hi lads i don't do much subsoiling but i.m wondering if it would be worth doing some oon the fields that would be going into spring barley next year or would it be counter productive? Used to do it before when the spring barley was being prepped for but the last few years didn't suit so i left it.

I’ve done some tramlines and one or two hammered headlands. Down to 16”.
Great conditions for the job - no smearing and lots of shatter.
The weather has done a lot of natural subsoiling this year but no harm to give it a hand.
I’ve sorted out a few bad headlands over the years with the subsoiler.

I’ve done some tramlines and one or two hammered headlands. Down to 16”.
Great conditions for the job - no smearing and lots of shatter.
The weather has done a lot of natural subsoiling this year but no harm to give it a hand.
I’ve sorted out a few bad headlands over the years with the subsoiler.
Thanks that's what I'm thinking just wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread but in June I stitched some cover crop into a bit of a headland of wheat that failed due to wet. Fairly impressive

Attachments

• FBA34A2D-80F9-40F4-99D1-71F9FB9FBA46.jpeg
    FBA34A2D-80F9-40F4-99D1-71F9FB9FBA46.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 5BAEAAA3-7DE2-4907-97E6-4BF7EAAB1623.jpeg
    5BAEAAA3-7DE2-4907-97E6-4BF7EAAB1623.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 108
My 2 ps worth n subs oiling,

I don't think you'll get a better year to sort out any compaction issue you may have, , admittedly the land is bloody dry, hoe ever in a damper year you may struggle to pull the implement and a depth sufficient enough to remove the deep compaction,

I have been su soiling some fields for OSR, they were spuds 2017 , Wheat 17-18. The fields where sumoed prior to the wheat being drilled but as ground conditions weren't perfect we had to lift the legs a bit, have sumoed at her ground that was barley last year and it's no where near as tight,

Back to my pont as the ground is dry I could basically have the legs right down you can feel it dong the work, I started using our old shakerator but it has no crumbled or owt and I was pulling up horses heads,,,

As cork said though I've got 180 donkies in front a 2.5 m trio and at times its on its knees,, you really want 100hp a m IMO to get the disc system working at a fast enough speed to work the ground, had a NH 7080 on it when we worked up the ground for spuds that was the kiddie, big heavy lugging tractor that had had the pumped opened,

Not just down there. We have only seen 10mm of rain since paddy's day

Seriously? You must have had more than that in over 2 months?
Much the same here, i think there’s only been one decent days since, and I’d say a lot of what we’re forecast to get will burn off before it gets anywhere near us tomorrow.. if only I could organise it to rain on the barley and stay good on the silage ground for the weekend:lol::lol:

Well if burning has already set in, the last thing you want is less than 5mm of water, as this will start a growth and if you remain in drought post the damp squib, you will burn up much worse. Hard to believe Im green here and west of country is brown.

Well if burning has already set in, the last thing you want is less than 5mm of water, as this will start a growth and if you remain in drought post the damp squib, you will burn up much worse. Hard to believe Im green here and west of country is brown.
Not a drop here in weeks and you're right, a few hours and then drought again will be worse than no rain.

Seriously? You must have had more than that in over 2 months?

We had a small bit of rain around Easter Sunday but no more than 10mm. It has been fantastic. We got every drop of slurry spread and covered ground that wouldn't always be the easiest to get to.

There were wet days down south that some lads posted about here 2 or 3 weeks ago and it was scorching here. I'm not complaining mind. Grass growth is perfect with us. Heavy soil retains a lot of moisture.

We had a small bit of rain around Easter Sunday but no more than 10mm. It has been fantastic. We got every drop of slurry spread and covered ground that wouldn't always be the easiest to get to.

There were wet days down south that some lads posted about here 2 or 3 weeks ago and it was scorching here. I'm not complaining mind. Grass growth is perfect with us. Heavy soil retains a lot of moisture.

I think what we escaped was actual nice warm weather, we havent had allot of water but its been a cold dry few months. Silage crops are way back as I can only remember 2 days when you could say they were growthy. Hope to soon pick up a weather station as it was allow me record data and match it against decisions I took that season and wether they were right or wrong and spot a future trend earlier

I think what we escaped was actual nice warm weather, we havent had allot of water but its been a cold dry few months. Silage crops are way back as I can only remember 2 days when you could say they were growthy. Hope to soon pick up a weather station as it was allow me record data and match it against decisions I took that season and wether they were right or wrong and spot a future trend earlier

Warm weather has been hit and miss with us too. We are a good bit ahead of ourselves with grass growth, but again comparing what lads post on here about temps to what we are actually receiving on specific days, there have been many t shirt days here where lads further south have posted about putting on 2 coats

We are very lucky. It's upside down. We usually get the bulk of the wetter and colder weather compared to the southern half of the country.

That could be the issue that will hit here although hopefully won’t be too bad just yet, it’s easy find where the rock is close to the surface atm in a few spots but it would be a south facing hill with rock close enough to or actually just on the surface In spots5EC94723-A061-40E0-AF0F-8FB183CFA9AC.jpeg52AAF26E-26E1-4FF9-9C42-F750F5C8D307.jpeg

Back