Swapping farm yard manure/dung for straw.

Maybe I’m being too simplistic here but personally I don’t agree with swapping straw for FYM in any arrangement. Lots of heavily stocked farmers need to export FYM for nitrate purposes to tillage farmers. I’m happy with this arrangement as I get FYM and stock farmer solves his/her nitrate issues. Win win on both sides. Why would I even consider giving my straw for free into the bargain???

well if you can get a stockfarmer to part with it for nothing so best, but they are few and far between maybe thats different depending on location. Straw is worth 20 a bale, FYM 10 a ton and slurry 15 per 1000gls all ex works.

about €30 per 1000gls spread, and thats only taking into account NPK.

well if you can get a stockfarmer to part with it for nothing so best, but they are few and far between maybe thats different depending on location. Straw is worth 20 a bale, FYM 10 a ton and slurry 15 per 1000gls all ex works.
If I collect it it is worth €15 and delivered it is worth €30 . It is 12 km away and bad roads . How many loads a 10 hour day landed in my place.
3000 gal tankers

If I collect it it is worth €15 and delivered it is worth €30 . It is 12 km away and bad roads . How many loads a 10 hour day landed in my place.
3000 gal tankers
24 km round trip on bad roads be busy at a load an hour including filling and spreading.

What is the value of cattle slurry/ 1000 gals . They are being fed sugar beet and maize and are fattening big cattle. Export paper work would be done.[/
3000 gal tankers
The value on slurry is the NPK value and is a spread value as it’s versus bagged fert and the spreading cost of that is very small so a like for like is needed

i could get straw for the price of baling it if i give it back as fym and they spread it but no way would i do it, the best fertiliser and soil conditioner out there bar none, its costing 300 euroes per artic load for chicken manure and its a 1 yr wonder according to the lads using it

Maybe I’m being too simplistic here but personally I don’t agree with swapping straw for FYM in any arrangement. Lots of heavily stocked farmers need to export FYM for nitrate purposes to tillage farmers. I’m happy with this arrangement as I get FYM and stock farmer solves his/her nitrate issues. Win win on both sides. Why would I even consider giving my straw for free into the bargain???
Agreed. I have an arrangement with a dairy farmer who buys a good bit of straw off me every year where I take his FYM and spread it myself. He pays the going rate for straw and I get the dung. It suits us both but him more then me for his nitrates and I would do without it in a heartbeat if I had to pay for it. Now I'm not heartless and I do allow a bit off the straw bill as I appreciate getting the dung.

Agreed. I have an arrangement with a dairy farmer who buys a good bit of straw off me every year where I take his FYM and spread it myself. He pays the going rate for straw and I get the dung. It suits us both but him more then me for his nitrates and I would do without it in a heartbeat if I had to pay for it. Now I'm not heartless and I do allow a bit off the straw bill as I appreciate getting the dung.
jaysus dp mother theresa wasn,t your sister by any chance :smile:

3000 gal tankers

a contractor would surely want €60 an hour for full time haulage with 3000gls tanker, I couldnt see him doing a load an hour at 24km round trip. 10mins filling, 10 min spreading. 40 mins for 24kms ??? I would forget about it.

I think all the paper values for p+k are fine when applying any organic manure on "fresh" land but we have land in tillage 100 years and straw removed every year except when sugar beet was grown. In this type of land organics bring much more to the table than p+k imo.

Resurrecting this thread!!! I have a neighbour about 2.5 miles from me who buys all his oat and barley straw off of us. He is going to be clearing out the sheds shortly, not entirely sure how much dung he has at the moment. We talked about possibly exchanging dung for straw, and I was wondering what would be a fair way for both parties to complete this arrangement? As in, do I haul it and pay for it to be spread, or does he haul it etc. He would normally buy about 300 welger made round bales off of us if that is any use. Thanks!!!!

Skimmer, does he o ly get straw from you or from other sources?
If he's only using 300 round bales of bedding a year it won't be a massive heap o shyte but it good organic matter for the land,
Will it be spread on bare arable land or grass??
I'd be inclined for him to haul it all to yours park it in a heap let it brew for a "season " then wack it on in the autumn, when it rotted a bit ??
As for payment, depends on the value you put on your straw, if he's gonna have the bedding for "free" then him hauling n spreading sounds like the way ahead, if he paying full wack for straw, and you want the shyte you do the work and have the dung for nowt,

It all come down to how you value the working relation ship you have with your neighbour , last thing you want is to be having dung that has all manner of weed seeds from another supply of bedding, if it's only your won straw then work away

Unfortunately Vern, we are not allowed to store dung on land out of season over here to let it compost like you suggest.

300 bales should give quite a heavy coat for 30 acres I would think.

Unfortunately Vern, we are not allowed to store dung on land out of season over here to let it compost like you suggest.

300 bales should give quite a heavy coat for 30 acres I would think.

If you'll pardon the pun that's a bit shyte,,,, how are you supposed to let your shyte rot down then,, no one wants to b spreading strawy FYM,, hard on the spreader even harder than plough in ??? And the grass won't like it,,

If you'll pardon the pun that's a bit shyte,,,, how are you supposed to let your shyte rot down then,, no one wants to b spreading strawy FYM,, hard on the spreader even harder than plough in ??? And the grass won't like it,,
You are supposed to have a concrete storage area with channelling to collect any effluent run off, it can be stored on the fields in the open season for spreading.

Thanks for the input lads!!!! The plan was to tip it in the corner of the field now, and leave it there til practically the closed season before spreading. He only gets straw from us, so there wouldn't be a massive amount of dung. We have one very hungry field that I think would benefit from it, but I think it might be simpler to keep the current arrangement at least for this year anyway.
Thanks again!!!!:Thumbp2:

Swapped some of my mothers apple tarts for a trailer load of Fym a couple of years ago.
It has turned into pure gold in the meantime.

The climbing roses are really getting established and had a great summer. I pruned them back well and coated them in the gold.

It was like shoveling worms!!

9AA154A2-21A5-41C4-B87C-0FCDD08E75BC.jpeg C6340D3B-2605-464F-B45A-018CC8306569.jpeg 3AD8274C-3DC0-44C5-B962-1866969DF7CB.jpeg DB591AF1-5477-4FD7-8FE4-5F23092E15A8.jpeg

How many 1000 gallons of strong Cattle slurry would you chance ahead of Beans . Would it cause them to lodge or cause other problems .

Had an older gentleman in with us when we were loading the drill two weeks ago.

He was commenting on the seedbed and also the bits of dung still coming up. He mentioned I'd only see the benefit in the second year.

Now I thought I got a great benefit last year, but is there any truth to his statement?

He was commenting on the seedbed and also the bits of dung still coming up. He mentioned I'd only see the benefit in the second year.

Now I thought I got a great benefit last year, but is there any truth to his statement?

Depends how rotten the dung was I guess.

It’ll have broken down more by year 2 and should release fully

Depends how rotten the dung was I guess.

It’ll have broken down more by year 2 and should release fully

Fresh enough out of sheds but some was ex dungsted. I'd always thought the OM was low in this field anyway.

I don't want to flatten it, if it hasn't been washed away!!

i ploughed a lea field last spring and sowed spring barley in it, i ploughed it again in october for winter wheat and the old sod ploghed back up having broken down very little due to the dry conditions and i,d say its the same with your dung

i ploughed a lea field last spring and sowed spring barley in it, i ploughed it again in october for winter wheat and the old sod ploghed back up having broken down very little due to the dry conditions and i,d say its the same with your dung

You are spot on there humungus, you'd even see it plastered on the stones that were picked!!

the difference between fresh fym spread and composted FYM is night and day. I would say composted has twice the kick as its ready for the ground when it hits it, whereas fresh has to change its C:N first, will need allot of N to decay, and doesnt have any of the magic biology composting brings

Back