Swapping farm yard manure/dung for straw.

i ploughed a lea field last spring and sowed spring barley in it, i ploughed it again in october for winter wheat and the old sod ploghed back up having broken down very little due to the dry conditions and i,d say its the same with your dung
How deep did you plough and what is your ground type?

Any deeper than 6 inch here and you out of the rotting zone,ie too anaerobic

Used to work ground years ago,was 12 inch of (could be very heavy)loam
They always wanted it ploughed 8 to 10 inch and you would always have last years crop stubble back up

How deep did you plough and what is your ground type?

Any deeper than 6 inch here and you out of the rotting zone,ie too anaerobic

Used to work ground years ago,was 12 inch of (could be very heavy)loam
They always wanted it ploughed 8 to 10 inch and you would always have last years crop stubble back up
around 7 or 8 ins usually, its free draining soil but plough any deeper than 9 ins and you turn up sand or marl in heavy parts. i.d plough a lea field every year and never saw the old sod plough back up but it got virtually no rain after it was sown and it hadn,t enough moisture to rot the old grass i reckon

Theres an organic farmer near me has or had 1 i seen it run a couple of times seemed to do a good job amd easy enough ran
He had his foot on the clutch a few times to let the Deere catch it’s breath. Ideal job for a Vario . I think he said he could turn it fifteen times before all the heat was gone out of it . The compost is rocket fuel for soil biology.

He had his foot on the clutch a few times to let the Deere catch it’s breath. Ideal job for a Vario . I think he said he could turn it fifteen times before all the heat was gone out of it . The compost is rocket fuel for soil biology.

Its unreal stuff i seen a couple crops of organic oats and they were smashing looking. My grandfather always told my father that a load of dung was worth a lot more than a couple of bags

Back