Swivel head bandsaw

Here you go [MENTION=2658]massey 6480[/MENTION]
Nothing overly fancy, but works well. Forgot to mention that I joined the tables on top with angle also.:thumbup:

Attachments

• IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 147
I should also add that I do intend to build a proper workshop in the next few years, hence the need for the adjustable frame underneath it all. The floor is really unlevel in this shed:yes:

Here you go [MENTION=2658]massey 6480[/MENTION]

Nothing overly fancy, but works well. Forgot to mention that I joined the tables on top with angle also.:thumbup:

Cheers for that . That is s very tasty setup you've got there . Must make it a pleasure to cut steel . Was mulling over getting a bandsaw there today again but seeing your pic there now has but the idea out of my head again .
Would love one mind but shed space is limited and having to be working between a couple of different sheds depending on what I'm making and the permanent (workshop ) been tiny it ain't going to work . [emoji17]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lisnalty-Holsteins/812804415461880

Cheers for that . That is s very tasty setup you've got there . Must make it a pleasure to cut steel . Was mulling over getting a bandsaw there today again but seeing your pic there now has but the idea out of my head again .
Would love one mind but shed space is limited and having to be working between a couple of different sheds depending on what I'm making and the permanent (workshop ) been tiny it ain't going to work . [emoji17]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lisnalty-Holsteins/812804415461880

You don't have to have that much roller table there, I know some have a lot more of than that but others just have the saw on its own. Okay, the tables do make it much easier to handle lengths and feed in steel, but I suppose you could get away with much less space if you were only handling half lengths. You can also put it up against a wall and/or feed in steel from outside to save space.
It makes some difference to the process of making anything, the fit up between components does be spot on:thumbup:

[MENTION=2658]massey 6480[/MENTION] despite his modesty skimmer does fairly well have the bees knees setup there.

If you're willing to tolerate a bit of setup time then a saw on wheels and a couple of single rollers on stands can achieve all the accuracy just with less efficiency than skimmer has.

I have the pipe and bearings got, I just need to find the time to make up the stands.

[MENTION=1611]Skimmer[/MENTION] if you could only have one, bandsaw or plasma which would you choose?

[MENTION=2658]massey 6480[/MENTION] despite his modesty skimmer does fairly well have the bees knees setup there.

If you're willing to tolerate a bit of setup time then a saw on wheels and a couple of single rollers on stands can achieve all the accuracy just with less efficiency than skimmer has.

I have the pipe and bearings got, I just need to find the time to make up the stands.

[MENTION=1611]Skimmer[/MENTION] if you could only have one, bandsaw or plasma which would you choose?

Dont think thats an easy situation [MENTION=2707]JohnBoy[/MENTION]
I probably use the saw more than the plasma,but dont think id sell either.
Using the saw is a comfort when making something,every thing fits together like lego after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like jd baz said, almost impossible to call! I use them both an awful lot, and would find it tough going without either! They compliment each other rather than compete, I really would find it hard to choose between the 2. It's like trying to pick a favourite child, I'd imagine!
If I really had to, I'd probably have to keep the plasma, because I use the gouging function so much for repairing digger buckets in the quarry, but aside from that they are both absolutely definitely never being sold!

@ Skimmer, I invested in a new saw myself there lately and want to tidy up the rollers that I have, they came out of baggage conveyers and there's been more a than a few items of heavy luggage on them! I've seen rollers made with a combinated of GB pipe (48.3?), bearings and an off the shelf size of shaft. What did you use?

@ Skimmer, I invested in a new saw myself there lately and want to tidy up the rollers that I have, they came out of baggage conveyers and there's been more a than a few items of heavy luggage on them! I've seen rollers made with a combinated of GB pipe (48.3?), bearings and an off the shelf size of shaft. What did you use?

Actually bought 5 tables in ept in carlow, with three on the entry side and two on the exit. They are each rated to 400kg, and seem to be doing the job well. They cost around 87 Euro each, but I got a bit of a discount when I bought 5 together! I'll see if I can get a link.

Supposed to be on holidays but no one told the head ;) think you can make rollers with galv tube 48.3 OD, 3 mm and a 43mm bearing with 20mm shaft.....anyone ever hear or do anything like this?

Yeah I'm trying something similar with some lighter tube, it might not stand as much abuse but I'll only be doing handy stuff with it. I wasn't going to use a shaft though, I was gonna pinch the bearing between a bolt and a nylock before pressing the bearing into the pipe, leaving me with the nut as a spacer between the bearing and the frame then another nylock to clamp it into the frame if that makes sense?

Yeah I'm trying something similar with some lighter tube, it might not stand as much abuse but I'll only be doing handy stuff with it. I wasn't going to use a shaft though, I was gonna pinch the bearing between a bolt and a nylock before pressing the bearing into the pipe, leaving me with the nut as a spacer between the bearing and the frame then another nylock to clamp it into the frame if that makes sense?

You could use threaded bar the whole way through.

id imagine you would have to lathe out the ends of the pipe for a good fit, but id say your plan with the bolt would work alright.
the only downside is if you ever needed to remove a roller for some reason.
but if you used an ordinary nut at the bearing and a nyloc on the outside you could run it off easier if needs be.
getting a bearing to fit inside a tube would be the next thing.
the rollers i have here have shafts that are spring loaded so you push it in to remove or fit it.
the first mtr before the saw needs the rollers fairly close for the short bits but after that they can be spaced out 18" or so apart, or thats what i found on mine at least.

Here you go @massey 6480
thats a fine looking job hi, makes life a lot easier.
some kind of measuring device would be very handy wouldnt it, i often thought about one for here but never got any further with it.

id imagine you would have to lathe out the ends of the pipe for a good fit, but id say your plan with the bolt would work alright.
the only downside is if you ever needed to remove a roller for some reason.
but if you used an ordinary nut at the bearing and a nyloc on the outside you could run it off easier if needs be.
getting a bearing to fit inside a tube would be the next thing.
the rollers i have here have shafts that are spring loaded so you push it in to remove or fit it.
the first mtr before the saw needs the rollers fairly close for the short bits but after that they can be spaced out 18" or so apart, or thats what i found on mine at least.

Now as I said these will be light, I the bearings are 35mm OD and 10 id. The bearings are a light press fit into the tube I have. I also have some M10 repair washers that are 36 or 7 mm diameter, so one of those on the outside should prevent them pushing into the tubes.

The rollers could be wayy too light, even for the stuff I'd be working with, but i'll have a sum total of 20 euro between chinas finest bearings and a few bolts and nylocks to make 10 roller stands.

The stands will be beefy and if the concept works bar the rollers being too light I can always get heavier tube and some lathe work done down the line.

I dont have room for tables (13x20 garage, bandsaw is far and away the biggest thing in there) so am making folding stands.

now I've the bearings since january so dont be holding your breath!

Cheers Tinman, it seems to be working away the finest at the moment anyway! A measuring device would be brilliant alright, and its definitely something I'm going to look into once I get it permanently set up in a workshop. For the moment though, I'll just have to make do with the travel stop for things under 600mm and the tape for longer pieces.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cheers Tinman, it seems to be working away the finest at the moment anyway! A measuring device would be brilliant alright, and its definitely something I'm going to look into once I get it permanently set up in a workshop. For the moment though, I'll just have to make do with the travel stop for things under 600mm and the tape for longer pieces.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I know of a concrete plant that has an overhead measuring device for cutting slabs . The lengths are programmed in from the office and lights shine down where the cut is to be made so the Engineers do not have to get concrete on their shoes . Actually thinking about it they stick in dividers .
If you could get to see one you might be able to set up a similar system .

Lads, been offered an Axminster bandsaw, Haven't got a wild amount of use for one, but would be usefull al the same.
Rough looking but works fine, £280
Tis a model MB 712

New ish blade also.

How much would such a blade be? And how long would they last?
And what should I look out for on one??

[MENTION=1611]Skimmer[/MENTION] have you had much work for yours?

Yep, have done a lot of work with it, and is really indispensable now! So easy to keep tight tolerances with them, and allows you to be a lot more adventurous incorporating angles into projects! Definitely a great buy, speeds up fabrication so much too.

Back