TB test rules

nashmach

Lads,

Bit of a change in system here this year and I haven't kept on top of these changes in TB testing rules and the various percentages so hopefully ye guys can help :001_smile:

Basically up to now nothing would have been finished before the annual test so everything was hunky dory.

Now a group will be hanging up before it (about 16% of the herd at present) and on an individual basis all are out of test.

Will this lock us up and then the Department will force an earlier annual test? Or should we be okay to keep trading?

Thanks for any replies.
nashmach

I get a letter most weeks and sometimes 2 a week telling me Im killing animals out of test, even though I tested within the last 6 months. Once it goes over 20% of the herd untested they can impose you to test again. I usually file such letters with the speeding fines etc

Lads,

Bit of a change in system here this year and I haven't kept on top of these changes in TB testing rules and the various percentages so hopefully ye guys can help :001_smile:

Basically up to now nothing would have been finished before the annual test so everything was hunky dory.

Now a group will be hanging up before it (about 16% of the herd at present) and on an individual basis all are out of test.

Will this lock us up and then the Department will force an earlier annual test? Or should we be okay to keep trading?

Thanks for any replies.
nashmach
Check with your factory agent, if he can get them killed then kill away , whats the point in payiny for a test on cattle that are being killed , it would be differant if you wanted to sell in the mart .

Check with your factory agent, if he can get them killed then kill away , whats the point in payiny for a test on cattle that are being killed , it would be differant if you wanted to sell in the mart .

Oh, they'll be steaks anyway James but we think they may make us do a herd test after these buckos go hence the question.

To be honest, that doesn't really suit testing at the time of the year with me off farm and other stuff but if needs must.

The Department have already moved our annual test back by about 2 months over the past 7 years.

Ive moved my test forward and in the last 5 years ive tested 4 times so I saved a test and €1000.

bring the test foreward, abp have a sign going in to their factorys "cattle have to be in 12 mt test" ,with the price of cattle u do not want a animal ending in a skip:angry:

bring the test foreward, abp have a sign going in to their factorys "cattle have to be in 12 mt test" ,with the price of cattle u do not want a animal ending in a skip:angry:

that sign is out of date so as animals can be killed aslong as tested in the last 18 months. thats right isnt it, yeah I think so :rolleyes:

that sign is out of date so as animals can be killed aslong as tested in the last 18 months. thats right isnt it, yeah I think so :rolleyes:

Thats the rule in Dawn anyway , 18mts , if an animal is over this u need a permit to say the animal is mad or to dangerous to handle and u have to get it killed.

This statement is correct for a single animal yes.

Department must love complicating things.

These new rules are fine for a breeding farm but for a trading system just add more complication.

This statement is correct for a single animal yes.

Department must love complicating things.

These new rules are fine for a breeding farm but for a trading system just add more complication.

yip once more than 20% of your herd is out of test, you will be pushed to test. Keep saying your doing it next week etc and drag it out long enough to get the animals slaughtered. The meat factories will only turn back an animal post 18 since test.

Lads, herd here is in test but have a bunch of animals nearly ready to go to the factory that have not been tested since April 2013.

Am I right in thinking that these will need to be tested so before they are killed [emoji22]

Lads, herd here is in test but have a bunch of animals nearly ready to go to the factory that have not been tested since April 2013.

Am I right in thinking that these will need to be tested so before they are killed [emoji22]

I stand to be corrected on this but AFAIK you can send animals that are up to 6 months out of test if your herd is in test so going on that you would have to test them.

I stand to be corrected on this but AFAIK you can send animals that are up to 6 months out of test if your herd is in test so going on that you would have to test them.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Anyways problem solved, they have another few weeks to go before to the end of that deadline.

In a normal year, they would be tested by then but our dates are all shifted now given we were locked up for a few months in 2014 :rolleyes:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Anyways problem solved, they have another few weeks to go before to the end of that deadline.

In a normal year, they would be tested by then but our dates are all shifted now given we were locked up for a few months in 2014 :rolleyes:

Would the six months deadline not have expired in October if they were tested in April?

Would the six months deadline not have expired in October if they were tested in April?

It would have yes, but my father was wrong, turned out they were last tested late July 2013 so are okay till next month by which time they will be prime Angus steak.

Have the Department given up on sending out letters on this stuff once you hit the 20% rule and have killed out of yearly test cattle?

I'm pretty sure the herd at home should have been locked up for the past month but no letter yet!

Whats the 20% rule @nashmach

You can kill stock that are between 12-18 months from their last test provided your herd is in test.

However if more than 20% of your remaining herd hasn't been tested in the past 12 months, your herd will be restricted (can still sell to the factory) until you do a full herd test.

Have the Department given up on sending out letters on this stuff once you hit the 20% rule and have killed out of yearly test cattle?

I'm pretty sure the herd at home should have been locked up for the past month but no letter yet!

Cant remember as those letters are just chucked straight into the bin along with neighbor X is locked up so mend your fences, neighbor X only has tillage land beside me:no:, Im partially locked again as killed some animal 18months out of test, such fooling as you could buy one of them the day after your test and be locked up 6months post having a clear test

Im told that as of next week (@candor I finding problems with copy and pasting for some reason)
any herd there is a BVD Pi in HQ in the Dept of Ag will be automatically restricted to all trade. Does anyone know if it is illegal for a old BVD animal to go through a mart or does this have to be disclosed by auctioneer? Take a positive PI animal tested before the mandatory testing period that is 6 or 7 now, could I inadvertently buy this animal without knowing

Cant remember as those letters are just chucked straight into the bin along with neighbor X is locked up so mend your fences, neighbor X only has tillage land beside me:no:, Im partially locked again as killed some animal 18months out of test, such fooling as you could buy one of them the day after your test and be locked up 6months post having a clear test

Im told that as of next week (@candor I finding problems with copy and pasting for some reason)
any herd there is a BVD Pi in HQ in the Dept of Ag will be automatically restricted to all trade. Does anyone know if it is illegal for a old BVD animal to go through a mart or does this have to be disclosed by auctioneer? Take a positive PI animal tested before the mandatory testing period that is 6 or 7 now, could I inadvertently buy this animal without knowing

You are dead right Ozzy, it's just pricking around to be honest and not one bit simple, once you commit to sending stock to the factory, i dont know why these dates make such a difference.

On the PI's, it would be fairly unusual for an animal to live that long if infected I would think.

You are dead right Ozzy, it's just pricking around to be honest and not one bit simple, once you commit to sending stock to the factory, i dont know why these dates make such a difference.

On the PI's, it would be fairly unusual for an animal to live that long if infected I would think.
i see ads on donedeal with fellas willing to buy pi,s, what are they up to i wonder:confused3:

Back