The auction thread.

Exactly. You should only pay what you think it’s worth to you and be disciplined.

The situation above stinks though. There’s a difference between being a good auctioneer and that carry on (or at least there should be!). Unfortunate for the vendor too, as In you’d expect there would be a market for such fine machines when you consider fellas falling over themselves for the BNM scrap. Different audience with different pockets, I appreciate but nonetheless.

Is it possible that it is the vendor and not the auctioneer that done this. What benefit is it to the auctioneer if the item isn't sold?:scratchhead:

Is it possible that it is the vendor and not the auctioneer that done this. What benefit is it to the auctioneer if the item isn't sold?:scratchhead:

I suppose anything is possible, but then again if I was a bidder and paid my €1000 deposit and the hammer dropped) then I’d expect I’d be looking for my tractor. Equally if they insisted on the deposit, and someone walked away Having had a successful bid, it would become an expensive day out.

I done a bit of Googling on the legalities of the hammer falling and from the few bits I read it seems a contract is formed between buyer and seller when the hammer falls as this indicates the acceptance of the bid by the auctioneer on behalf of the seller and I suppose naturally enough subject to the winning bidder coming up with the funds.

Seeing as its obvious that Agriland are reading threads here, make yourselves known lads...

And credit the forum properly (if the moderators so agree) for any information gleaned from it rather than saying "...on a well-established forum..."
I think it's no different to a business person slyly promoting a product or service without declaring their interest.

And credit the forum properly (if the moderators so agree) for any information gleaned from it rather than saying "...on a well-established forum..."
I think it's no different to a business person slyly promoting a product or service without declaring their interest.

In regards auctions the seller can legally bid up to the reserve price. So that may have happened here. But it was lazy journalism on their behalf. A quick check with the auctioneer may have confirmed the clearance percentage.

But it just shows the bluffing that auctioneers do.

Last edited:
My understanding is money must be exchanged between both parties to honour the agreement. The deposit is for a bidding number and can be viewed as a separate transaction.

But it would be a good article if agriland did an expose on the legal issues surrounding purchasing at auctions. Such as warranty issues, returns and the like. As there is alot of false information and untruths regarding auction do's and don'ts.

Just to clear things up it was me that held the auction on Saturday. I jokingly mentioned to a few other members on here that it’s a pity this thread wasn’t as busy before the auction! To be honest I thought it would have been a bit more obvious to more on here.

Firstly the reasons for the auction was a scaling back on the tillage side of the farm business and altering to the way the machinery is owned and run for the tillage side, we have always operated a dairy even before I was born. The farm has always been run as a commercial entity and it is this that brought us to the decision to move on a good bit of the plant on the farm. The easier decision would be to carry on as we have alway done, and run the tillage side of the farm like it has always been run, and hope for a stronger future for the tillage sector. We have kept on all the land that was under tillage it should be noted.

After much deliberation I decided to put a good chunk of the farms machinery into an on farm auction and see how it went. We are in the fortunate position to have every single piece of equipment that was in the auction completely paid for, except one tractor that has a few payments left on it.

My view was, if the auction didn’t go to plan, it would be just a matter of opening the doors of the shed and putting the machines back in. I had sensible reserves set on most of the machinery, all of the machines were operated and serviced with great care and any machine that ever needed anything got it, regardless of cost.

Everyone has a view on the value of most things, in this case I had the machinery priced at a sensible level. Myself and my father have worked very hard down through the years to buy and pay for machinery and to keep machines updated. It’s easy to stand at the gate of any man/womans yard and look in and have an opinion, to know what’s really going on is a different thing. The auctioneer has a policy of not quoting reserves before an auction such as this, wether that’s a good idea, is not for me to say. On the day highest bids were held if they were not on or above reserve. There’s only one view that matters on the values and it’s mine, and I say that with the greatest respect. I didn’t stand with the gavel in my hand on the day, so I can’t speak for the auctioneer dropping the hammer.

Anyone that walked into my yard on Friday or Saturday walked into an honest yard of machinery, that not one single item had been sold prior to the auction. This was always going to have to be an honest auction. I refused some good money on some machines prior to the auction, even in one case just a few hours before the auction. We have always prided ourselves on being honest in our dealings and this auction was to be no different.

I find some of the comments and remarks above interesting. The auction was not a ‘farce’ as was mentioned above. Also one member seems to think I offered him my mower today, that’s news to me to be honest.

The reporter from Agriland spoke with the auctioneer and specifically asked what tractors sold, and what tractors didn’t sell immediately after the auction. The auctioneer said he would speak with him later, the man from Agriland ran the piece saying tractors had sold, he hadn’t spoke to me or the auctioneer, I immediately made contact with him, and in fairness to him he changed the piece. I paid good money for coverage of the auction to Agriland, so I was disappointed in what they did.

To sum up, to have an auction on your own farm after making a huge decision on the future direction of your business takes guts. Ultimately everything falls on my shoulders and to stand in your own yard and see your equipment run through an auction is a fairly big deal, I have always tried to remind myself to leave my heart out of any work related decisions. Put yourself in my shoes and think if you were to do the same in your own yard how would you feel about it. Many have an opinion on why I went the auction route, I have heard some fairly tall tales of what my future plans are, but to be fair locally I haven’t heard any malicious rumours, but in fairness when you put yourself out there publicly your open to anything really, and I admire anyone that does it on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, it’s not easy.

How come you didnt advertise it yourself on here before the auction for more publicity? I would assume the forum management would have been happy for you to do it. I know about 5 people on here so I wouldnt have known. I dont think any speculated what the vendor was getting up to in future on here, more so just on the auction practices itself not even on the machinery offered. I asked was it a contractor offering as strange to see 6 tractor to get the hammer from a farm.

I know nothing about the machinery, all my comments were on the way the auction seemed to be ran. Buying of auctioneers is our bread and butter here. Did the auctioneer not announce before/during or as the hammer was dropped that these items were been sold subject, or was it printed in the catalogue? Surely the agriland lad should have heard/seen that? And if not announced/written, does the highest bidder not now have claim to the items?

Best of luck with your next farming step.

@KJL, I was aware it was yourself that was the vendor, and when I used the word 'farce' I wasnt referring to your auction, or your machinery.

I think the auctioneer left you down tbh, dropping the hammer on items that arent actually sold, is to be fair, farcical
You have 'under bidders' walking out the gate assuming that the tractor they were after is sold, if they knew it wasnt, they may well approach the vendor or auctioneer and come to an agreed price on the day. This happens all the time.

Best of Luck for the future :Thumbp2:

Just to clear things up it was me that held the auction on Saturday. I jokingly mentioned to a few other members on here that it’s a pity this thread wasn’t as busy before the auction! To be honest I thought it would have been a bit more obvious to more on here.

Firstly the reasons for the auction was a scaling back on the tillage side of the farm business and altering to the way the machinery is owned and run for the tillage side, we have always operated a dairy even before I was born. The farm has always been run as a commercial entity and it is this that brought us to the decision to move on a good bit of the plant on the farm. The easier decision would be to carry on as we have alway done, and run the tillage side of the farm like it has always been run, and hope for a stronger future for the tillage sector. We have kept on all the land that was under tillage it should be noted.

After much deliberation I decided to put a good chunk of the farms machinery into an on farm auction and see how it went. We are in the fortunate position to have every single piece of equipment that was in the auction completely paid for, except one tractor that has a few payments left on it.

My view was, if the auction didn’t go to plan, it would be just a matter of opening the doors of the shed and putting the machines back in. I had sensible reserves set on most of the machinery, all of the machines were operated and serviced with great care and any machine that ever needed anything got it, regardless of cost.

Everyone has a view on the value of most things, in this case I had the machinery priced at a sensible level. Myself and my father have worked very hard down through the years to buy and pay for machinery and to keep machines updated. It’s easy to stand at the gate of any man/womans yard and look in and have an opinion, to know what’s really going on is a different thing. The auctioneer has a policy of not quoting reserves before an auction such as this, wether that’s a good idea, is not for me to say. On the day highest bids were held if they were not on or above reserve. There’s only one view that matters on the values and it’s mine, and I say that with the greatest respect. I didn’t stand with the gavel in my hand on the day, so I can’t speak for the auctioneer dropping the hammer.

Anyone that walked into my yard on Friday or Saturday walked into an honest yard of machinery, that not one single item had been sold prior to the auction. This was always going to have to be an honest auction. I refused some good money on some machines prior to the auction, even in one case just a few hours before the auction. We have always prided ourselves on being honest in our dealings and this auction was to be no different.

I find some of the comments and remarks above interesting. The auction was not a ‘farce’ as was mentioned above. Also one member seems to think I offered him my mower today, that’s news to me to be honest.

The reporter from Agriland spoke with the auctioneer and specifically asked what tractors sold, and what tractors didn’t sell immediately after the auction. The auctioneer said he would speak with him later, the man from Agriland ran the piece saying tractors had sold, he hadn’t spoke to me or the auctioneer, I immediately made contact with him, and in fairness to him he changed the piece. I paid good money for coverage of the auction to Agriland, so I was disappointed in what they did.

To sum up, to have an auction on your own farm after making a huge decision on the future direction of your business takes guts. Ultimately everything falls on my shoulders and to stand in your own yard and see your equipment run through an auction is a fairly big deal, I have always tried to remind myself to leave my heart out of any work related decisions. Put yourself in my shoes and think if you were to do the same in your own yard how would you feel about it. Many have an opinion on why I went the auction route, I have heard some fairly tall tales of what my future plans are, but to be fair locally I haven’t heard any malicious rumours, but in fairness when you put yourself out there publicly your open to anything really, and I admire anyone that does it on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, it’s not easy.
Fair dues for the extensive response. Your own decisions are your own and I’d reckon most would agree with me that you don’t have to be setting out any reasoning here. I hope there was nothing disrespectful in anything I posted and if there was you can be sure I take it back.
The main thing that hopefully has come through here is the how well minded the machines were - and that obviously carries over to other things given what you said about your approach to the auction.

Ironically it would seem that we are not too many miles apart. Would have been there Saturday but was doing a long awaited job on a machine only a few miles away.
:Thumbp2:

Had a man ring about our old 3610 that didn’t sell , only up to 5000 but surprised it didn’t sell , they surely must have it written down to that now , they have it 4 years ..... I’d say a small bit more would buy it.
Bit of a late reply but I was looking for info on that auction, I looked at that combine, every oil/diesel cap is robbed off it every tank full of water, I have to say before that I was considering it, the joystick was seized solid too was only other thing I noticed

TM120 with Loader made 25,100 8k hours. 3650 make 10,000.

CVX was 25 plus vat sold pending a 141 with 4,500 hours. I though that was a steal if it was sold at that price after.

Digger was something similar if I remember rightly. Maybe 35 -Seemed good value too.

Auctioneer had these 'phone bidders' on some lots . Seemed very suspect to me and a few others, and only seemed to be on lots that would have limited interest amongst the group present such as the shuttering pans and an old 13ft timber tractor cattle box. Never seemed to be any bidders on what I would regards as the lots people were interested in and there were multiple bidders for. Anyone noticed this before at other auctions?

He must have been bidding against himself for the agitator as has it up again on Donedeal. https://www.donedeal.ie/agitators-for-sale/nc-agiator-and-dung-spreader/24010266

Auctions here to my mind are very strange affairs, Id have little trust in the whole set up. I often wonder are guys getting rightly done against a phantom bidder. Have never been at any farm sales/dispersals in the UK but from the values obtained documented in Classic Tractor Mag things seem a tad more honest and straightforward over there?

Back