The grazing season

yes an unwanted one,young stock still out , hoping to go back out with the cows for a few days to finish off a few paddocks still no ploughing done ,

12 days recovery, never saw the like in late October. From this
IMG_20171015_085155.jpg
To this..
IMG_20171027_170706.jpg

Last lot housed today. Apart from September and October it was a great year of grass here. In general haven't seen cattle been housed after doing so well over the summer/autumn and we've ran them all through the crush now at this stage.

Covers are a bit higher than I'd like in our late/wetter land especially high clover ground but a few woolies might sort that.

Last lot housed today. Apart from September and October it was a great year of grass here. In general haven't seen cattle been housed after doing so well over the summer/autumn and we've ran them all through the crush now at this stage.

Covers are a bit higher than I'd like in our late/wetter land especially high clover ground but a few woolies might sort that.

Grass management on this side of the Irish Sea has improved enormously in recent years, and maybe the same is true in Ireland. Many more people using aback fence giving the grass the chance to recover. Plus others doing paddocks on a radial system which we explained in the August issue of Farm Ideas www.farmideas.co.uk Am always interested in reporting farm created methods and machines.

Grass management on this side of the Irish Sea has improved enormously in recent years, and maybe the same is true in Ireland. Many more people using aback fence giving the grass the chance to recover. Plus others doing paddocks on a radial system which we explained in the August issue of Farm Ideas www.farmideas.co.uk Am always interested in reporting farm created methods and machines.

Nice plug @farmideas :Thumbp2:

Any chance of a plug for this forum in your magazine:confused3: we have a large forum here dedicated to Workshop projects and such like in particular....
http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?forums/the-workshop.20/

Genuinely lads, is anyone here using sobac products? Are they beneficial or just snake oil? Pm me if you don't want to post publicly. I just want to know if it is worth the investment?

None of the stores housed yet here but tonights rain will change all that if the weekend doesn't come fairly good. There's loads of grass on the farm which I still hope to graze off with small lads......... All this talk of a frosty winter is just that, talk. I have a sinking feeling we're in for a very wet one.

All of the stores housed here now including heifers bought in for breeding for next year. All cows and calves are still out on the highest part of the farm, 5 days of grass left for them. Could continue rotating them through other paddocks that have a small bite left but they're not happy out, bawling and following me as I walk through them each morning. Housed the bull yesterday and he was happy enough to have his own dry quarters to winter down in. Think I had them out for another fortnight last year but if I was to graze the lower part of the farm completely bare it'd be ploughed up if heavy rain came. Cattle only came off it last week but grass is still growing here. There'll be a grand bit on it for early February if closed now.
MF30

Got back out with the cows over the last 2 weeks .will be in full time from Monday .weanlings and in calf heifers should last until the 1st Dec on out blocks

3 Grazings left for this year, but unlikely I'll get to do them as the access to it is through 2 fields with no roadway. Great respite the last 2 weeks though and we Grazed the heavy ground strong clearing off grass that I didn't think we'd get back to. Lovely covers up in the first of the closed off ground, temptation to graze them is high but will pay better to leave them till the Spring. Feed is going to be tight on farms this winter methinks, I thought we had a hape of bales bales ourselves, we're after pillaging our way through a lot of them already, fed 27 yesterday. The pits will be opened shortly.

Grazing finished here today and just in the nick of time as the week ahead looks messy, even today was constant drizzle.

Extended grazing on display in Enniscorthy tonight along the quays.

A piebald grazing the high covers on the bank :rolleyes2:

Extended grazing on display in Enniscorthy tonight along the quays.

A piebald grazing the high covers on the bank :rolleyes2:
They're only contributing in the only way they can afford to the council coffers, by free mowing and fertilising of public areas which might otherwise become overgrown and succumb to the Japanese knotweed problem. Sure the way they'd look at you as you'd drive by you'd think they'd even want payment for it...
MF30

They're only contributing in the only way they can afford to the council coffers, by free mowing and fertilising of public areas which might otherwise become overgrown and succumb to the Japanese knotweed problem. Sure the way they'd look at you as you'd drive by you'd think they'd even want payment for it...
MF30

It's payment in lieu for the property tax :Thumbp2::rolleyes2:

Have any of ye done roadways on the cheap.. starting into dairy but price for a 1km roadway is running up a nice bit over 10000 which is too much for year one. I saw on the journal about a reversible roadway or invert roadway which is the topsoil put to one side and then dig subsoil and replace topsoil where subsoil was and replace subsoil where topsoil was. Not sure how well itd work but itd be simple in a few years to get the good stone and place on top ... another way i saw that is used alot over in england is concrete railway sleepers any amount of them can be got in portlaoise but there is a large gap when these are placed down as the middle is narrower than the edges of the sleepers any advice appreciated

Have any of ye done roadways on the cheap.. starting into dairy but price for a 1km roadway is running up a nice bit over 10000 which is too much for year one. I saw on the journal about a reversible roadway or invert roadway which is the topsoil put to one side and then dig subsoil and replace topsoil where subsoil was and replace subsoil where topsoil was. Not sure how well itd work but itd be simple in a few years to get the good stone and place on top ... another way i saw that is used alot over in england is concrete railway sleepers any amount of them can be got in portlaoise but there is a large gap when these are placed down as the middle is narrower than the edges of the sleepers any advice appreciated
I like the sleeper setup, but what sort of money are they, I bet for a KM they will cost a fair bit. Is it just for animal access. Any roads projects happening around you, getting rid of fill, this is how my short few bits were usually done. maybe talk to a few local truckers with beer tokens in your hand, often though a road is one job thats best done right from day one, can you manage without it for longer and just sacrifice 12ft of ground, but maybe your crossing wet ground

The mud from digging tanks is most suitable for farm roads but it needs to be let settle for 6 months or more might be worth keeping in mind if you have tanks to do or a heap of mud hanging about

@bruceythom used those sleeper`s to make raodways . Any stone ditches you can take out . New entrant near here has put down 750m of roadway using ditch stone as his foundation .

I don't think subsoil will be much good.if there is a gravel layer under the subsoil then if you can get it on top it will work

Back