The grazing season

I wondered the same thing but decided it had to be live, 600kg dead would be a monster.
It was 12 cwt live mostly self fed silage and beet pulp nuts and that was for fresian bullocks .The sucklers could be up to 18 or 19 cwt but they could be any age or weight depending on the breeding. We fed very little Barley or soya mostly beet pulp nuts and not a lot of that . Grain was expensive before the SFP .

This might seem a stupid question but was it 600kg live or dead?
Mate of mine had a bullock kill out 625kg!
He was a wild cunt too. Couldn't get him into a crush to weigh as he was so big.
The lad had a thing about making big cattle and it just kept growing and growing. Think he was 44 months at the time though!

Slaughter house phoned him and told him to NEVER send them anything like that again!

We had a Bullock jam the skinning machine in Clover meats and his head was dragging along the ground he was so long . He made over £1000 and that was back in the 1970,s .

In 75 or 76 what did they feed them? Only a pick of grass and water. Thats all drystock need . i have 80 ewes going into fields that are not grazed out fully and they are not srarving to death.
There's a difference between animals growing and just maintaining them though.

What age were cattle killed at in 1976?
Cattle done right barely need 24 months....3 moths of reduced gain aint going to rob you
There's a difference between animals growing and just maintaining them though.
If its costing you a heap in meal and silage to have them growing and youll get conpensatory growth when grass comes again. Meal feeding cattle doesnt pay at the best of times

We had a Bullock jam the skinning machine in Clover meats and his head was dragging along the ground he was so long . He made over £1000 and that was back in the 1970,s .
How did you fare out finishing cattle without the hormones?

How did you fare out finishing cattle without the hormones?
We had to buy better quality stock and there was live export via Pursell,s to the Middle East for the poorer ones . There was so much illegal drugs being used by other finishers that it was hard to get justice for poorer carcases when they were hung side by side . I had a double into Slaney and the loads ahead of me were Angel Dust cattle and I got the poorer price . I complained to the Department grader that I knew and he said he could do nothing. It made up my mind to be less dependent on cattle as the whole business was corrupt.
At least with grain I get world price plus transport. All of the local Angel Dusters are now gone out of the finishing business and some of them got jail .
I am far too innocent to be involved with finishing cattle .

We had to buy better quality stock and there was live export via Pursell,s to the Middle East for the poorer ones . There was so much illegal drugs being used by other finishers that it was hard to get justice for poorer carcases when they were hung side by side . I had a double into Slaney and the loads ahead of me were Angel Dust cattle and I got the poorer price . I complained to the Department grader that I knew and he said he could do nothing. It made up my mind to be less dependent on cattle as the whole business was corrupt.
At least with grain I get world price plus transport. All of the local Angel Dusters are now gone out of the finishing business and some of them got jail .
I am far too innocent to be involved with finishing cattle .
Pretty much what I heard from my grandfather from that time. There's a lot of old Masstock houses from those times that lay idle after. I suppose the amount of regulations we have now is a legacy of it. I think the next scandal to hit us will be when consumers find out what's happening with unwanted bull calves from the dairy herd..

chickens are killed at 6 weeks

hell male chickens from egg breeding are shredded.

I think a calf reared on milk in good conditions and slaughtered humanely at 10 days has probably had a much better life than the chickens.

better than mashing their heads in and throwing them at the gate for collection like the used do in NZ (do they still do that?)

This discussion will really help us in the row with militant vegans alright lads.

The public get to decide what is an acceptable age and condition for an animal to enter the food chain ultimately

This is happening on a hush hush basis. When it comes out there will be a scandal. Pretending it's not is not the answer. It's not humane. Sick, weak and hungry calves being transported long distances is anything but.

I was in the local hardware during the snow and two large dairymen were discussing how they get their JEX euthanised. Made me sick. If they can't be bothered looking after their animals they shouldn't have them.

This is happening on a hush hush basis. When it comes out there will be a scandal. Pretending it's not is not the answer. It's not humane. Sick, weak and hungry calves being transported long distances is anything but.

I was in the local hardware during the snow and two large dairymen were discussing how they get their JEX euthanised. Made me sick. If they can't be bothered looking after their animals they shouldn't have them.
killing 2k a week local to me for the spring

chickens are killed at 6 weeks

hell male chickens from egg breeding are shredded.

I think a calf reared on milk in good conditions and slaughtered humanely at 10 days has probably had a much better life than the chickens.

better than mashing their heads in and throwing them at the gate for collection like the used do in NZ (do they still do that?)
your info is incorrect, calves dont have their head mashed in down under in New Zealand.

Cows going to a 30 acre field tomorrow of aftergrass. A cover of about 1200 on it. They will be delighted.

Back