the journal this week

someone should tell katherine o leary about the mess in the ifa, it seems nobody has told her about it as she hasn,t mentioned it in her column, i,ll bet tim goes out with his sandwiches every morning and she presumes he,s off to brussels or the farm centre

Most dairy farmers bring the shite into the kitchen so she might not notice any change .

I see Dr Jack is back tracking too.....
He must have got a lot of grief I'd say. It's a pity both dairy journalists are so heavily biased towards grass and crossbred cows when these cows are suited to a certain % of the country the more higher input higher output cow suits the tougher land areas which is a side that is rarely spoken about.

I see Dr Jack is back tracking too.....
he seemed very narky about lads being critical of the greenfield farm,its seems he can dish out the criticism but can,t take it, as for all labour being paid for out of farm profits i,m sure his wife and padraig kelly and all those other teagasc experts are not being paid for by the farm

katherine o leary had a good tip for getting a calf to stand up on last weeks journal, rub you hand along its spine from the tail to the head and they,ll get up by themselves, i tried it this week and it works well so i learned something from the journal:Thumbp2:

katherine o leary had a good tip for getting a calf to stand up on last weeks journal, rub you hand along its spine from the tail to the head and they,ll get up by themselves, i tried it this week and it works well so i learned something from the journal:Thumbp2:
Didn't read it myself but the father was telling me about and I've been at it all week. So simple and works! Every little helps this time of the year.

He must have got a lot of grief I'd say. It's a pity both dairy journalists are so heavily biased towards grass and crossbred cows when these cows are suited to a certain % of the country the more higher input higher output cow suits the tougher land areas which is a side that is rarely spoken about.

often heard it said that in the mind of jack kennedy

the country starts in south cork and ends in north tipp

his attitude is that if it can be done in moorpark , it can be done in monaghan

often heard it said that in the mind of jack kennedy

the country starts in south cork and ends in north tipp

his attitude is that if it can be done in moorpark , it can be done in monaghan
I'm only 20mins straight east of moorepark and to be fair the area north of fermoy would as good as you would get in the country for dairying. The issue I have with jack and others is that only (at a guess) 25-30% of the dairy farmers in the country are fortunate to be able to follow this grass based blueprint drawn up and all the rest of us are downright bad farmers and may as well give up now as we can't produce milk as cheap. My brother was talking to a lad in moorepark last week when it was lashing rain and sleet and he asked have Ye the cows in these days in curtains farm? He replied "Christ no they are just wrecking the place but ser if we preach to get them out we can't be seen to be putting in them in or no 1 will listen to us"-that says enough for me

I'm only 20mins straight east of moorepark and to be fair the area north of fermoy would as good as you would get in the country for dairying. The issue I have with jack and others is that only (at a guess) 25-30% of the dairy farmers in the country are fortunate to be able to follow this grass based blueprint drawn up and all the rest of us are downright bad farmers and may as well give up now as we can't produce milk as cheap. My brother was talking to a lad in moorepark last week when it was lashing rain and sleet and he asked have Ye the cows in these days in curtains farm? He replied "Christ no they are just wrecking the place but ser if we preach to get them out we can't be seen to be putting in them in or no 1 will listen to us"-that says enough for me

in much of the country , dairy farmers would have been better they stuck with Holsteins producing 1600 gallons per year , kept the cows in for five months of the year and fed a tonne of meal per cow , they would still be producing milk cheaper than the majority of European dairy farmers , ive been to new Zealand , its not Ireland , its warmer and rains less and the land is nearly all free draining and not even in the way free draining land is here , cows don't seem to go to their knees no matter how much rain falls

in much of the country , dairy farmers would have been better they stuck with Holsteins producing 1600 gallons per year , kept the cows in for five months of the year and fed a tonne of meal per cow , they would still be producing milk cheaper than the majority of European dairy farmers , ive been to new Zealand , its not Ireland , its warmer and rains less and the land is nearly all free draining and not even in the way free draining land is here , cows don't seem to go to their knees no matter how much rain falls
As always said but never admitted to by the likes of crowds that set up Moorepark and other example farms location can be so important.

Moorepark is on an exceptional vein of land equivalent to something like 7% of the land in the entire country.
The vast majority of dairy farmers would have far more relevance to Ballyhaise or Solohead as regards land type.

I see someone has taken exception to the photo of stock grazing on last weeks cover!
I had a good rant at that tbf, he may be having hard times but what a bitter man to actually take the time to sit down and put that shite to paper and send it to the journal.

if they were all inside at the minute giving the cows 25%DM, 19%protein and 88.6DMD grass silage then it might not be far away from the cost of the grazing system :tt2::2guns::2guns:

Moorepark is on an exceptional vein of land equivalent to something like 7% of the land in the entire country.
The vast majority of dairy farmers would have far more relevance to Ballyhaise or Solohead as regards land type.

ballyhaise is also exceptional by cavan standards , been told that by folk from that part of the country

Well as we are on jacks case again we might not forget john donworth who is at the same shlte in the farming indo.The only thing is john should know alot better ,he was our dairy discussion group facilator before he got promoted to head up teagasc .This week he is still on about getting cows out ,what a plonker a snipe would not walk the driest of land locally and some of this land would be considered dry enough by teagasc to graze

No one gets promoted in teagasc without towing the political line and spreading the gospel.
All teasgasc advice has to be cleared by the government and or dept.
AFT was the last independent research body, swallowed up by teasgasc in 88-9.

We are lucky enough to have some very free draining tillage land here.
Id like to spread a bit of fertiliser but with so much constant rain id hate to drive an unloaded tractor across the field.

i cant honestly see how putting animals out at the moment will not only be bad for the animal but also the land and grass.

sheds were invented for a reason...

We are lucky enough to have some very free draining tillage land here.
Id like to spread a bit of fertiliser but with so much constant rain id hate to drive an unloaded tractor across the field.

i cant honestly see how putting animals out at the moment will not only be bad for the animal but also the land and grass.

sheds were invented for a reason...
I will be trying to travel some of that damaged land with the trailing shoe spreader if it dries up, sometimes you would think it was a badly tilled field you were in, see you writing in the IFJ @CORK, that must be a smashing farm to work with soil type and frost free.

I will be trying to travel some of that damaged land with the trailing shoe spreader if it dries up, sometimes you would think it was a badly tilled field you were in, see you writing in the IFJ @CORK, that must be a smashing farm to work with soil type and frost free.

A bit of frost would often be welcome down here for those of us in tillage @Arthur nothing like it to tame winter crops and kill off disease and pests.

Back