the journal this week

The figure of 50,000 acres being taken out of tillage over the last couple of years struck me as one good reason why the machinery dealers are looking glum of late.

Potterton has put the boot into teagasc this week re getting workers for dairy farms

I'd think he is speaking the truth for a lot of people to be honest.

And I'd agree with his comments on covering cropping at this time of the year. (Which I see another extension first as well). It must be remembered that Teagasc research on it has shown nothing conclusive yet as far as I recall

Is it just me, but are the various editors gone a bit lazy or something, I know sometimes my spelling here wouldn't be great but this week's edition is riddled with them. That extra 10c must have broken the spell checker :eek3::lol:

And I'd agree with his comments on covering cropping at this time of the year. (Which I see another extension first as well). It must be remembered that Teagasc research on it has shown nothing conclusive yet as far as I recall

Is it just me, but are the various editors gone a bit lazy or something, I know sometimes my spelling here wouldn't be great but this week's edition is riddled with them. That extra 10c must have broken the spell checker :eek3::lol:
I think spelling and grammar in general has gone to the dogs in a lot of publications. I saw a competition advertised during the week inviting participants to "Test You're Knowledge", which amused me no end.

Spelling and grammar has never been the Journals strong point.

They are good at adding the sneaky 10c over the past few years.

Another point (page 22) that struck me as odd was that the EU and Mexico appear to have negotiated a trade deal within about a year and yet we are told such agreements take at least 20 years of talking when it it comes to doing the same for a post brexit UK despite the UK presently adhering to the same standards as the EU!

I thought it was ironic this week.

The Bord Bia Man saying that there is limited chance of the premium for Hex and AAX cattle decreasing in the short term.

Yet turn on a few pages to the Factory reports and it is reported that HEX and AAX cattle are being quoted 5c below the base price :rolleyes2:

I thought it was ironic this week.

The Bord Bia Man saying that there is limited chance of the premium for Hex and AAX cattle decreasing in the short term.

Yet turn on a few pages to the Factory reports and it is reported that HEX and AAX cattle are being quoted 5c below the base price :rolleyes2:
The seldom heard 6th verse from the Alanis Morissette hit of the same name :drunk:

I see the Farming Indo with a good picture of Lucas Contracting cutting maize. Green tractors and all :smile::smile:@Danielk
I passed a couple of the fleet this evening coming out of paulstown, both using the hard shoulder and letting on the rush hour traffic fair play to them

Farm workers are not in short supply after all it seems and sourcing workers from outside of the EU is not an option according to the Department of Business, enterprise and innovation. So who's nose will be put out of joint over that? Teagasc, IFA, FRS or even IFJ itself?

And why such a stupid long name for a government department?

Farm workers are not in short supply after all it seems and sourcing workers from outside of the EU is not an option according to the Department of Business, enterprise and innovation. So who's nose will be put out of joint over that? Teagasc, IFA, FRS or even IFJ itself?

And why such a stupid long name for a government department?

What’s the difference between Business and Enterprise unless you watch Star Trek?

That's where farming is going wrong. 'Business, employment and export earnings generation unit' sounds so much better than just 'farmer' and might catch the attention of the government.
You can call it what you want but when the two senior govermnent officials are both from Dublin, their interest in any rural subject stops about a half mile outside the M50

Back