the journal this week

Thanks lads
As a Glanbia supplier who wouldn't be their biggest fan , have you ever thought of going to the local branch meetings ? Get on to the committee, and see what's going on . You could go to the top , in time.
You certainly have the intelligence for great things , not to mention a very sharp wit .

Thanks for the compliment jf but I don't think I'd be any match for them. They would make a tool out of me fairly quickly.

Bought a tractor from England over the phone for 25k, 5 years ago. Just had photos and description from the seller to go on. Luckily, It was exactly as described when it arrived.
I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to do it again, then again, maybe I would!!

had to laugh at katherine o learys column, she,s always praising teagasc and their advice but this week she blows a fuse because they said dairy farmers would want to give the calf and 127 euro to a buyer for him to make any money on it, then she launches into saying they,re going to continue using jersey semen this year :smile:

had to laugh at katherine o learys column, she,s always praising teagasc and their advice but this week she blows a fuse because they said dairy farmers would want to give the calf and 127 euro to a buyer for him to make any money on it, then she launches into saying they,re going to continue using jersey semen this year :smile:

We have a few jersey cows here only 5 or 6 crossbreds. They are lovely cows and very handy but the calves are poor there's no getting away from it.

Wasn't it a coincidence that Glanbia waited until Thursday this month to announce their milk price. The week the biggest circulation of the year IFJ comes out.

Wasn't it a coincidence that Glanbia waited until Thursday this month to announce their milk price. The week the biggest circulation of the year IFJ comes out.

It's a wonder they didn't wait till next Thursday till the Ploughing was nearly over.

The dairy men will need to ensure that they get a great feed in the Glanbia tent :Whistle2:

It's a wonder they didn't wait till next Thursday till the Ploughing was nearly over.

The dairy men will need to ensure that they get a great feed in the Glanbia tent :Whistle2:
They pay out next week. The board are off to South Africa today apparently, studying the latest advances in despotism no doubt.

Congrats Bruce. How did you come to pick the subject Dung beetle, do you get a list or have to come up with it yourself. Would love to hear how the whole process as regards scholarship works and how long you will be away and if in college over there or what ?
Are we all being treated as dung beetles, scratching around in the shite in the hope of survival..:whistle:

Congrats Bruce. How did you come to pick the subject Dung beetle, do you get a list or have to come up with it yourself. Would love to hear how the whole process as regards scholarship works and how long you will be away and if in college over there or what ?

Came up with the topic myself, a long story as to how I came up with it, but basically we've been reducing wormers on farm here over the last number of years. This year so far the calves have been dosed twice and that's it, heifers got nothing since last year, cows got nothing since 2017, results backed up by herd health screening and faecal egg counts, the parasites are losing! I have to give the humble dung beetle a lot of the credit for this, and it's something I want to investigate further so I can dissemble the information to other farmers. The less anthelmintics used, the less likely of there being resistance. The biodiversity part is a spin off, basically as a results of not using anthelmintics, there will be more insects around, these insects are feed for a whole lot of other creatures. I could bore ye to tears on the subject!

In terms of the scholarship, I will be travelling to Brisbane next March for the global conference, that's where we meet up with other scholars from around the world and go for training workshops etc.

Next year then the Irish scholars will be divided up and I will be added to a group of other scholars from around the world to do 6 weeks of travel to different parts of the world studying different farming systems/industry etc.

Then I get to decide when and where I travel to in relation to my topic, minimum of 3 weeks.

I then get to do a report (10,000 words) on my findings/recommendations to hand in for the end of 2 years.

Then, if appropriate, I bring the findings/report to industry with recommendations.

Paper never refused ink. The greenfield farm sold there calves last year to a beef farmer. Well they got the kebab a calf man to put them in his herd number first.
Will the short life of some young calves become a pr issue in the future.
There is going to be lots of them next spring, who wants them???

Back