The older masseys

Alot more reliable. I'm not a fan of either the power shuttle or speed shift in a 4200/4300 series. This would have a far superior power shuttle, heavier back end for loader work or pulling trailers/tanks and more comfortable to drive or spend a day in. There's new loaders on done deal in cavan for I think 6k or you might source a quicke second hand for that.

Would a 390t manage a loader? Have a 4260 here at home, it's a speed shift so not suited to a loader, we done it up a few years back so I dont want parting with it ( my brother had a thread up here on the restoration of it) would only be feeding a max of 200 bales in the year as all sheep here, was also thinking about a 4255/4355 but after seeing so many gone rotten in the roof and panels I think it would be hard to get a good one:scratchhead: budget is 30k roughly, any advice would be appreciated!

At 30 K or a little more you'd get a good 5455 with loader. There a nice loader tractor.

A 6245 would be rare enough I think.

Probably a bit gutless too!

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6245/20984771

ZDIyZTU1MmVjMGQ0MmY3NWQxMjljODNmYmQwYjkwZTAsDBdD3Jz-PSE3SIBmvsyTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc4Njk5Mjl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

That looks like the one on E Bay about a year ago, if it is its had a change of address since the then near certain it was in the north at that time .A friend of mines son would have liked him to buy it , father had other ideas though.

What's with the brake fluid reservoir, on the right hand panel near the throttle ?

Can't see anything in the Agco parts book. Guessing maybe a trailer brake valve as been after fitted? Did see the shuttle option for UK built tractors in the pts book. Also noticed French built 168s could have a 3 lever version like the 200 series but the H+L lever and the tortoise and hare lever both come out of the same hole in the gearbox together. Got to be rare too.

If its the same one as I recall trailer brakes were mentioned.when it was on sale before, I remember the shuttle option being mentioned when the 8 line came out never saw one though.

see where the rev counter needle is at :tdown:
I've heard lads saying they bent the throttle around the steering for more power, never thought I'd see the rev counter confirm that :laugh:.
Are the hours genuine at all I wonder given the needle seems to be fecked?.

I was at a distinctly non agricultural social back at Christmas time so to amuse myself l asked 20 people to name an agri machinery company.
8 said MF
5 said dont know any
4 said Ford ( none knew about FNH ).
2 were John deere
1 was Mahindra ( she was Indian).

When l listed off all the others l could think of nobody recognised any of them except Caterpiller which they argued was construction not agri.
(Had to pull up a google image of a combine and a challenger)

So according to my limited experiment MF is the most recognised machinery brand outside farming.

I was at a distinctly non agricultural social back at Christmas time so to amuse myself l asked 20 people to name an agri machinery company.
8 said MF
5 said dont know any
4 said Ford ( none knew about FNH ).
2 were John deere
1 was Mahindra ( she was Indian).

When l listed off all the others l could think of nobody recognised any of them except Caterpiller which they argued was construction not agri.
(Had to pull up a google image of a combine and a challenger)

So according to my limited experiment MF is the most recognised machinery brand outside farming.

Do Cat sell combines any more, the challenger brand was sold to Agco and is branded Fendt now, the only agri products that Cat do would probably be telehandlers and skid steers

Do Cat sell combines any more, the challenger brand was sold to Agco and is branded Fendt now, the only agri products that Cat do would probably be telehandlers and skid steers
You can still go out and buy a caterpiller combine if you have half a mill knocking around.

Back