The reseeding thread

You dont weigh any through?

I have never sown grass seed with my accord before but if i was then i would set it at 19 as a reference point and then use my hand winder or whatever you call it and take sample and weight to see if set right. Did same with corn seed last year but did not bother this year,just used same settings as previous year and worked out grand

Sadly I sold my accord, but it had the small seed kit which I used along with the fan flap.
Very simple to calibrate. I got an extra hole punched in the linkage to the counters; so all I had to do was move the linkage and then the counters were up and avoided having to mess with springs.

Sadly I sold my accord, but it had the small seed kit which I used along with the fan flap.
Very simple to calibrate. I got an extra hole punched in the linkage to the counters; so all I had to do was move the linkage and then the counters were up and avoided having to mess with springs.

Interesting piece in the Farming Indo about using a bigger variety of species in reseeding mixtures. Apparently research at Lyons shows it lead to better weight gain and more resistance to worms than monoculture ryegrass swards. Also needs less weed control and fert

Interesting piece in the Farming Indo about using a bigger variety of species in reseeding mixtures. Apparently research at Lyons shows it lead to better weight gain and more resistance to worms than monoculture ryegrass swards. Also needs less weed control and fert
Straights and maybe mixes with just 2 varieties in the mix have become very popular in the last few years with the intensive dairy lads. Personally I'd rather 4/5 varieties in the mix as they all have pros and cons and a bit of everything is best I think. I had that straight bealy grass sown in 2009 and the frosts killed it the following winters, I said after that lesson learned as to monocultures.

I have nearly moved away from prenninal ryegrass dominated swards. Too N hungry for my liking. Think I said on here before I was giving one field 2units a day as a small trail and it still looked N deficient. Herbal leys all the way for me now

I have nearly moved away from prenninal ryegrass dominated swards. Too N hungry for my liking. Think I said on here before I was giving one field 2units a day as a small trail and it still looked N deficient. Herbal leys all the way for me now

What varieties are you putting in the herbal leys if you don't mind me asking?
I also find the same with perennial ryegrass as you describe above. Not persisting either now.

Aren't those herbal leys ideal for wet lands too?

What they didnt say in the paper was that the funding has been pulled for this experiment unfortunately.the land is going to a different use. I was at a talk by the main researcher recently and the results looked very promising especially for the medium stocked farms I thought.
Obtaining seed is a problem apparently as is weed control as some if the crop are what we call weeds at the moment including plantain

What they didnt say in the paper was that the funding has been pulled for this experiment unfortunately.the land is going to a different use. I was at a talk by the main researcher recently and the results looked very promising especially for the medium stocked farms I thought.
Obtaining seed is a problem apparently as is weed control as some if the crop are what we call weeds at the moment including plantain
Thats the first I have heard about the funding been pulled???? Is it going to be a bit like when William Albreacht had his money cut off by the fert companies in the early part of last century?? Look, the herbal leys work, are able to tollerate much lower rates of N and still produce, make more nutrients available to plants and animals through the diverse sward but dont suit the chemical or inputs industry

The lady who gave us the talk was the author of the paper article.
She was very genuine and the results were excellent.
It's a serious pity that the trial work isn't being continued as I think 4yrs are done so the longevity of the sward is unproven.
It's about a month ago unless something has changes since

Som, this week the boss says to me, your always moaning about how we scousssssh grass seed in, he says there's 26 acs of red clover seed there, pointing to the shed, (said clover is to cover us for greening regs)
He says the stubble is sprayed off, there's a tractor it needs to go on at 1.6 kg an AC away you go,

So I sumo the ground, ring rolled it, calibrated the Khun/accord combi drill, drilled it, pulled the old zig zag harrows out the stingers dragged it, ring rolled it, flat rolled it,

Went into a nicely damp seed bed, well firmed in, you cold play tennis on the surface, just hoping it all comes up,,

Thats the first I have heard about the funding been pulled???? Is it going to be a bit like when William Albreacht had his money cut off by the fert companies in the early part of last century?? Look, the herbal leys work, are able to tollerate much lower rates of N and still produce, make more nutrients available to plants and animals through the diverse sward but dont suit the chemical or inputs industry
I like the idea of herbal Lays a lot. Trouble with them is they don't like a hard grazing early on in the year. Not the best with heavy stocking febuary lambing.

Unfortunately an awful lot of these things are excellent if you can sacrifice stocking rates.

But I have no doubt that mixed swards are best. We have vary variable soils in fields so a good mix is bound to take better. And pleanty of clover.

Going to trow in about 10 acres of seed this year want something that will grow massive crop for two cuts one late may june and again first week of September.
Any suggestions. On what sort of mix

Going to trow in about 10 acres of seed this year want something that will grow massive crop for two cuts one late may june and again first week of September.
I'd say whatever you throw in will give you a massive crop if it's growing for that long, quality is a different matter.

There is only one way to grow tons and thats regular cutting. For continuous cutting you should be targeting 4 cuts. I think you said before that you are selling the grass, well if you put high quality stuff into a yard the difference in cattle thrive or milk output will be immense and you will be able to charge for the super product.

There is only one way to grow tons and thats regular cutting. For continuous cutting you should be targeting 4 cuts. I think you said before that you are selling the grass, well if you put high quality stuff into a yard the difference in cattle thrive or milk output will be immense and you will be able to charge for the super product.

How late would you be doing the fourth cut.

I've two fields just ready to cut for the third time now. I'm half thinking of taking a fourth cut in 6/8 weeks just to clean off the field for winter. But will probably only have little bales of dung.

How late would you be doing the fourth cut.

I've two fields just ready to cut for the third time now. I'm half thinking of taking a fourth cut in 6/8 weeks just to clean off the field for winter. But will probably only have little bales of dung.
I rearly if ever do one (unless you consider zero grazing). Took 3rd cut two weeks ago of one parcel of land that was in full silage production up until now. Last year this land had two zg cuts (spring/autumn) and 3 cuts of silage.

Your right and your wrong .
You know the value of good quality silage but alot dont and they just want bales in numbers.
Take a red clover swarth for example if i were to out that in id habe to charge upwards of 30 euros a bale.
You wouldnt get it youd be alot better of go down the ryegrass road and get your 35 off the horsey people
Now this stuff wouldnt be overgrown with a big dirty butt on it as it doesnt get fertiliser until late in the growing season.
4 cuts isnt a good plan on this place because your driving though the other fields to get to these ones.

Back