The reseeding thread

Sandy soil , doesn't always take that well ,job was priced and it's getting plenty 15kg/acre bags but it's going on at just shy of 20kg/acre that's with the 1kg/acre of turnip/kale? Through it . Grass seed is highlander mix
thats a ridiculous rate. 10kgs would be grand this day of the year

thats a ridiculous rate. 10kgs would be grand this day of the year
12kg/acre - 10%for overlaps:smile: :Thumbp2:

boy no far from that field , similar soil , growes grass for turfing jobs , he's 100kg/acre and uped it to 150kg/acre one year in the back end just to make sure it took :eek3:

Sandy soil , doesn't always take that well ,job was priced and it's getting plenty 15kg/acre bags but it's going on at just shy of 20kg/acre that's with the 1kg/acre of turnip/kale? Through it . Grass seed is highlander mix
Timing and stocking density will need to be spot on, the right man in charge will have a great sow out, the wrong one will have ye back next year doing the same thing again

12kg/acre - 10%for overlaps:smile: :Thumbp2:

boy no far from that field , similar soil , growes grass for turfing jobs , he's 100kg/acre and uped it to 150kg/acre one year in the back end just to make sure it took :eek3:
Was chatting to the local turf guy and he said the same,100kgs to the acre:eek3:

Rule number 1.
If your doing a re seeding sow ONLY grass seed, you can increase the amount of grass seed per acre at sowing to get a quick cover but the optimum Kg per acre is what your sold in your acre packs, some grasses are fine at 10 kg an acre some need to be at 15 kg an acre.
Rule number 2.
If you want a forage crop, sow a forage crop, be that brassicas, forage oats, whatever.
That way you get your optimum crop.
Rule number 3.
Sowing a mix of grass and brassicas is a COMPRIMISE.

Ritchie

Rule number 1.
If your doing a re seeding sow ONLY grass seed, you can increase the amount of grass seed per acre at sowing to get a quick cover but the optimum Kg per acre is what your sold in your acre packs, some grasses are fine at 10 kg an acre some need to be at 15 kg an acre.
Rule number 2.
If you want a forage crop, sow a forage crop, be that brassicas, forage oats, whatever.
That way you get your optimum crop.
Rule number 3.
Sowing a mix of grass and brassicas is a COMPRIMISE.

Ritchie
true

I always find a mix favours 1 or the other

I have a small sheltered field that needs to be reseeded . Grand spot for calves , but often a few cows and calves left on it too early or too late.
Problem is that there are as many dock plants as grass . Would it be better to give it a good dose of a dock spray 1st , then after a while roundup/gallup etc ? Or just roundup now , and spray it for docks after it comes up ? It will be ploughed anyway as it needs to be levelled. Plus I don't want multiply docks even more by chopping roots up with a disc.
Any opinions ?

I have a small sheltered field that needs to be reseeded . Grand spot for calves , but often a few cows and calves left on it too early or too late.
Problem is that there are as many dock plants as grass . Would it be better to give it a good dose of a dock spray 1st , then after a while roundup/gallup etc ? Or just roundup now , and spray it for docks after it comes up ? It will be ploughed anyway as it needs to be levelled. Plus I don't want multiply docks even more by chopping roots up with a disc.
Any opinions ?

I would try and sort out the dock problem with a good dock spray before burning it off. I reckon that the problem could be worse in the new seeds.

Any opinions ?
I find the most important thing when spraying docks is to have them leafy and growing well with no seedheads on them. Roundup will do a good job on them if they are at that stage. I would consider spraying them after the grass comes up nearly more important than than before.

I find the most important thing when spraying docks is to have them leafy and growing well with no seedheads on them. Roundup will do a good job on them if they are at that stage. I would consider spraying them after the grass comes up nearly more important than than before.
Top it ofg when they grow back usual rosette stage roundup them, leave for 2 weeks if you can. Plough and reseed, get in early and clean out seedling docks in reseed. You may have to do this more thsn once if you have a lot of seed on the ground.

Top it ofg when they grow back usual rosette stage roundup them, leave for 2 weeks if you can. Plough and reseed, get in early and clean out seedling docks in reseed. You may have to do this more thsn once if you have a lot of seed on the ground.

This is the route i’d take as well. IMO glyphosate is the best spray available to kill established docks. Reseeding is the best opportunity available for good dock control

We have a field here that hay was baled off a couple of weeks ago. There is a lot of dirt in the regrowth and it's spun out so a reseed is on the cards but we can't really afford to have it out of action too long this backend.

Is there a companion crop option that would give us some bulk grazing and let the grass seeds develop or would any bulk crop smother the grass? Alternatively a good grazing cover crop and hold the grass seed till later
All thoughts welcome

We have a field here that hay was baled off a couple of weeks ago. There is a lot of dirt in the regrowth and it's spun out so a reseed is on the cards but we can't really afford to have it out of action too long this backend.

Is there a companion crop option that would give us some bulk grazing and let the grass seeds develop or would any bulk crop smother the grass? Alternatively a good grazing cover crop and hold the grass seed till later
All thoughts welcome

All thoughts welcome

Have you sheep Jay or is it all cattle?

All cattle. A handful of sucklers and keep everything to beef. This field would be very dry so it normally carries lighter stick late into the Autumn

All cattle. A handful of sucklers and keep everything to beef. This field would be very dry so it normally carries lighter stick late into the Autumn

Would kale or similar be an option and reseed in the spring?

If It's dry I'd be wary of reseeding this time of the year in case it dries up after striking.:undecided:

Laying down a few fields for a neighbour in the next few weeks. Looking at varieties on his behalf. Any opinions on varieties? Mixes vs straights? Diploid vs Tetraploids? Include clover or not?

Laying down a few fields for a neighbour in the next few weeks. Looking at varieties on his behalf. Any opinions on varieties? Mixes vs straights? Diploid vs Tetraploids? Include clover or not?

I done 70 acres for a lad earlier in the year I must ask him what his mix was because the growth off it is crazy no clover and nearly a better job

More depends on soil type and intended use,ie 1 cut or muti cut
Intensive or extensive

More depends on soil type and intended use,ie 1 cut or muti cut
Intensive or extensive
You're right, apologies, I should have mentioned this. Intensive dairy use. Primarily grazing with occasional silage. Well drained Medium loam soil type with a high pH.

Back