The reseeding thread

James I would have thought that would cause a serious pan??

I must give it a go. Bet tines wear like ****!!

Did you trade the lions or did you go again?

Im still using the 2 pottingers , they are going well , as for the harrow causing a pan , Im now running the ERTH panbuster in front of it with the roller left up off the ground , this lets the ground dry and get the air into itself again , Ive a few jobs done thisway thisyear and they are looking very well.

Im still using the 2 pottingers , they are going well , as for the harrow causing a pan , Im now running the ERTH panbuster in front of it with the roller left up off the ground , this lets the ground dry and get the air into itself again , Ive a few jobs done thisway thisyear and they are looking very well.
just in case you didnt know, :whistling:
there was a man on here the other day saying you had snapped another rotor not so long ago.

just in case you didnt know, :whistling:
there was a man on here the other day saying you had snapped another rotor not so long ago.

That was wagons not power harrows though.

I'm struggling to see how James can keep tines on harrows at that craic as it is not as if his soil is sandy up there!

That's the way we do most of the direct reseeding , have about 500 acres in that way over the last few years . You would be better with the roller down as it can leave the field a bit rough when its up especially in drier ground as the the harrow only tops the high bits a fills between the cuts and it looks level but when it settles in a year or so it can be rough . We used to do it direct with one pass but 90% is done with pan buster first now with very good success .

That was wagons not power harrows though.

I'm struggling to see how James can keep tines on harrows at that craic as it is not as if his soil is sandy up there!

Im sowing thisway with the pottinger harrow since 1998 , and in that time I have only broken 1 tine and it was replaced free as they are guarented against breaking , from what ive seen the pottinger is the only tine that wont break when you are hitting solid rocks buried in the ground.

Im sowing thisway with the pottinger harrow since 1998 , and in that time I have only broken 1 tine and it was replaced free as they are guarented against breaking , from what ive seen the pottinger is the only tine that wont break when you are hitting solid rocks buried in the ground.

What I meant was more from a wear side rather than breakages.

If it works, it works :thumbup:

James I would have thought that would cause a serious pan??

I must give it a go. Bet tines wear like ****!!

Did you trade the lions or did you go again?

Was talking to a man last week who reckons running the disc on ground causes more of a pan . He does it both ways but was just some of his customers reckoned the disc was panning it a bit ....

Was talking to a man last week who reckons running the disc on ground causes more of a pan . He does it both ways but was just some of his customers reckoned the disc was panning it a bit ....

Am I missing something, I can't see how a disc could create a pan, a plough can do it but it will take time imo, are people confusing a pan, with compaction? close to the surface from excessive rain? slurry or poaching?

No you can get a pan with discs. Friend of mine had this problem on some arable land ploughing it one year cured the problem. A good reason to alter the working depth every year.

When most on here reseed is it to mainly refresh the sward. Only reason I ask is my brother would always plough as he sees it as an opportunity to level the field making life easier for the mower and other jobs where you can drive on.

So the demo in kilbeggan in tomorrow is just looking at the plots that were done 6 weeks ago not much to it so.

there are 4 different machine types and also an organic reseed.
The plots have been divided up after sowing for different follow ups.
Control ie nothing ,lime+fert,Fert only and a strip has been sprayed through all plots with post emergence spray to show the difference.
I think teagasc have put in a good effort tbh

That's the way we do most of the direct reseeding , have about 500 acres in that way over the last few years . You would be better with the roller down as it can leave the field a bit rough when its up especially in drier ground as the the harrow only tops the high bits a fills between the cuts and it looks level but when it settles in a year or so it can be rough . We used to do it direct with one pass but 90% is done with pan buster first now with very good success .

Are lads not saying it would be cheaper to plough it rather than pay for panbusting and p/h.
That's surely costing 100/acre plus
Is the panbusting leaving it easier/faster to harrow?

Are lads not saying it would be cheaper to plough it rather than pay for panbusting and p/h.
That's surely costing 100/acre plus
Is the panbusting leaving it easier/faster to harrow?

No , I sow both systems and the panbusting /powerharrowing works out cheaper moneywise but also gives better grass that can be grazed sooner as the ground is firmer , I charge €100/ ac for panbusting / powerharrowing/ sowing , for plough / till / landlevel I need 40for plough 10for roller , 2 runs of powerharrow @30 each and then 3 runs of the landleveller costing 20 for the 3 runs , so thats 140/ac to get the ground level and firm , you can do it cheaper if you dont bother leveling it.

there are 4 different machine types and also an organic reseed.
The plots have been divided up after sowing for different follow ups.
Control ie nothing ,lime+fert,Fert only and a strip has been sprayed through all plots with post emergence spray to show the difference.
I think teagasc have put in a good effort tbh

They have put the work in and its great to see these new young advisers getting out and doing something usefull , for years teagasc did very little around here except reps plans.:thumbup2:

Much the same price here 90 for direct with one pass and same price for pan bust one pass as we are able to sow a bit quicker and less wear on tines . It's between 130 to 170 to plough level sow depends on ground and how level you want it .

We have always used the levelling board on the front of the power harrow to drag dirt about and level up the field. Generally two passes of the power harrow is enough after ploughing.

No you can get a pan with discs. Friend of mine had this problem on some arable land ploughing it one year cured the problem. A good reason to alter the working depth every year.

When most on here reseed is it to mainly refresh the sward. Only reason I ask is my brother would always plough as he sees it as an opportunity to level the field making life easier for the mower and other jobs where you can drive on.

I still dont think one run of disc could create a pan in a direct reseed, it could happen in continuous min till though.

It would take a number of passes to create the same as ploughing unless it is really wet in which case you shouldn't be in the field.

please explain why it can be better grass and grazed sooner,
like to hear this explanation.....

and why are you rolling?

very simple , unploughed ground is firmer than ploughed ground and can be grazed quicker as stock will do less damage , if you go to kilbeggan you will see that the grass on the nonploughed ground is stronger than on the ploughed ground , all sowed with the same sower on the same day . :tt2::yes:

Back