Three Phase to Single Phase Inverter

Is it a big job to convert something from 3 phase to single phase. What are the drawbacks and what would it cost roughly.

It would be a 3 phase band saw that I would be converting, something like this below

http://www.bianco.bg.it/documenti/22/280 M - SCHEDA TECNICA.pdf

If a single motor sometimes cheaper to replace the motor,it's when you get into a couple of motors and 3phase control wiring that it gets really complex.

I run a couple of ventilation fans with inverters,fine as it's simply a motor,without seeing the bandsaw it's hard to say.

Is it a big job to convert something from 3 phase to single phase. What are the drawbacks and what would it cost roughly.

It would be a 3 phase band saw that I would be converting, something like this below

http://www.bianco.bg.it/documenti/22/280 M - SCHEDA TECNICA.pdf
How did you get on with the inverter?
I’m considering running something 3phase on our single phase.
Just wondering if it’s worth the hassle or if it’s no great hassle at all.

The main thing to remember with using a phase converter or inverter, to generate 3 phase power from a single phase power supply, is that you only get out the power you put into the converter/inverter. If one's single phase power supply is weak, and for example is only sufficient to drive a 3hp motor, then at best, the maximum 3 phase motor it will drive will be 3hp. Some people have the misconception that they can buy a huge phase converter and drive massive 3 phase machines/motors from a small single phase supply. It would be the equivalent of trying to drive the biggest slurry agitator on the market, with an MF135.
Once one understands this logic, phase converters or inverters work quite well. Inverters are probably more suited to sub 3hp motors and have the advantage that they can offer, effectively infinitely variable speed control of a 3 phase motor, which can be quite useful for items, such as lathes, Mills and drills. There are two types of phase converter, the basic static machine, which is the cheapest option or the more complex rotary machine, which has a 3 phase motor built into the converter, but is a more expensive option. Phase converters do not offer any option of speed control for a motor, so effectively are a single speed option.
I know of a good few people using both inverters and phase converters, with great success.
Another option would be to change the motor on a machine from 3 phase to single phase. One can replace like for like, in terms of horse power on most machines,with the exception of air compressors, where the rule is, multiply the horsepower of the 3 phase motor by 1.5 to get the required horse power of single phase motor needed. For example if an air compressor has a 2hp 3 phase motor, the horse power of single phase motor needed is 2 X 1.5 = 3hp.

I didn't get an inverter in the end, I got someone to change the motor for a single phase one.

I’d say fur bandsaw an inverter would be fine not a massive load. You need to get an inverter that matchs the motor load. Have one on a pillar drill here and works fine. Picked up s/h eBay £50-60

The main thing to remember with using a phase converter or inverter, to generate 3 phase power from a single phase power supply, is that you only get out the power you put into the converter/inverter. If one's single phase power supply is weak, and for example is only sufficient to drive a 3hp motor, then at best, the maximum 3 phase motor it will drive will be 3hp. Some people have the misconception that they can buy a huge phase converter and drive massive 3 phase machines/motors from a small single phase supply. It would be the equivalent of trying to drive the biggest slurry agitator on the market, with an MF135.
Once one understands this logic, phase converters or inverters work quite well. Inverters are probably more suited to sub 3hp motors and have the advantage that they can offer, effectively infinitely variable speed control of a 3 phase motor, which can be quite useful for items, such as lathes, Mills and drills. There are two types of phase converter, the basic static machine, which is the cheapest option or the more complex rotary machine, which has a 3 phase motor built into the converter, but is a more expensive option. Phase converters do not offer any option of speed control for a motor, so effectively are a single speed option.
I know of a good few people using both inverters and phase converters, with great success.
Another option would be to change the motor on a machine from 3 phase to single phase. One can replace like for like, in terms of horse power on most machines,with the exception of air compressors, where the rule is, multiply the horsepower of the 3 phase motor by 1.5 to get the required horse power of single phase motor needed. For example if an air compressor has a 2hp 3 phase motor, the horse power of single phase motor needed is 2 X 1.5 = 3hp.
Thanks for that.
Would it be different for something like a water heater?

Depends on why its three phase. some things are just three phase because it's the default in industry, but some things are three phase because they need all the power they can get

Back