Tillage Reading List/Resource List

Ugo Schtiglitz

Thought we might make a space to post anything interesting that you've read, video that you've seen or sources of information. Might be better to keep the commentary brief and just post resources? No limits, be it alternative crops, markets, organic, conventional, Conservation agriculture, environment, eco til, plough based, chemistry, nutrition,.............anything goes.

I'll get the ball rolling with something I was reading last night. No value judgement, just something that caught my eye!
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00354.x/full

This is a useful reference book, Its based on Albrecht method of soil testing but even if your not keen on that it gives a very good overview on different Nutritients and their interaction with one another.

Attachments

• IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 27
https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2012/Malting-Barley-Seminar_SKearney.pdf
There's a nice bit of reading there on malt barley and a few varieties that will be replacing Irina for malt this year.
Nice read on quality issues as well. It's always at this time of year when I ask myself can I afford to grow feed barley instead.:scratchhead:
Good stuff, while its obvious on the ground, the improvement in Spring barley yield over the last 20 years when displayed in graph format is impressive. After looking at this I'm asking myself can I afford not to grow malting barley??

Good stuff, while its obvious on the ground, the improvement in Spring barley yield over the last 20 years when displayed in graph format is impressive. After looking at this I'm asking myself can I afford not to grow malting barley??

It's a very significant result though for 2015 and with yields back to average for 2016 that will lessen the trend I would think.

It's a very significant result though for 2015 and with yields back to average for 2016 that will lessen the trend I would think.
True, but looking at how 2012 and how it failed to significantly reduce the yield trend despite the disasterous yields I reckon 2016 won't pull it down too much. Spring barley did well on some parts too.

This is a comment from a barley breeder that I deal with in the UK, he is speaking from a UK perspective. He has been breeding the crop for longer than I have been alive.

There is a lack of knowledge on the subject of skinning but it is not a new problem. It was a problem when spring barley was still being bred in Ballinacurra.

The Dept of Ag have started testing varieties for skinning and there definitely appears to be varietal differences this year.

We have had a very particular season which I think explains the problem we have.

Early growing season has produced a potentially high yielding crop with large ears and potential grain size, this was followed by very low light levels (no sunshine) during June and early July resulting in a shortage of carbohydrate for grain fill, also a loss of green leaf following a long post T2 period made this worse.

Finally the late warm dry summer has finished the crop very quickly and reduced grain filling, resulting in the endosperm not tight against husk so it comes away. We reduced our drum speed and increased the concave gap to reduce skinning to a minimum but it is still there

This is a comment from a barley breeder that I deal with in the UK, he is speaking from a UK perspective. He has been breeding the crop for longer than I have been alive.

There is a lack of knowledge on the subject of skinning but it is not a new problem. It was a problem when spring barley was still being bred in Ballinacurra.

The Dept of Ag have started testing varieties for skinning and there definitely appears to be varietal differences this year.

We have had a very particular season which I think explains the problem we have.

Early growing season has produced a potentially high yielding crop with large ears and potential grain size, this was followed by very low light levels (no sunshine) during June and early July resulting in a shortage of carbohydrate for grain fill, also a loss of green leaf following a long post T2 period made this worse.

Finally the late warm dry summer has finished the crop very quickly and reduced grain filling, resulting in the endosperm not tight against husk so it comes away. We reduced our drum speed and increased the concave gap to reduce skinning to a minimum but it is still there
Would you think that our growing season this year would concur with his opinion?

Would you think that our growing season this year would concur with his opinion?

I honestly don't know. I wasn't paying enough attention to it to be sure but there must have been similarities that both countries had similar problems.

There is a good bit of work going on re. skinning in Scotland - hopefully it will give us some guidance. For everyone's sake, we don't need a repeat of this year.

Back