Todays Photo

I’d say you’d have saved yourself a lot of work, and ended up with a much better tank by getting someone to pour it, with very little extra cost
Maybe so, Suckers for punishment!

As for having a better tank, based on how the one 20 years ago has survived, I'd have to disagree in my opinion, no issues with slurry drying out or water seeping in.

Edit:Doing a rough calculation, pouring the tank would cost approx 60% extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should the walls not be plastered on the outside though, to have a good chance of keeping water out, or are ye going to put some sort of waterproof membrane down there?
Tidy block work BTW!

Should the walls not be plastered on the outside though, to have a good chance of keeping water out, or are ye going to put some sort of waterproof membrane down there?
Tidy block work BTW!
Me and dad did one in blocks back in 97, plastered outside, got some sort of swimming pool plaster for the inside ie an additive for the plaster think it was just bought in the builders providers, gave it 2 coats. hard to remember, anyway it's still standing never leaked.

We've started to build a small 2 Bay slatted shed with cubicles to house 7 or 8 PB bulls over the winter, trying to be as self sufficient as possible, and with no experience with or access to shuttering gear, we're blocking the tank at the moment, it'll be a 7ft tank when it's done. But of a push on as we have about 3 and a half weeks to get it done before I head off to Dublin for college.

Well done on getting the college place Joe :Thumbp2:

Tidy block work BTW!

I don't think it'll be necessary, I made sure to pin the joints up very well, and it'll be plastered inside, other tank had 2 coats of plaster, and never leaked. I'm not quite sure if the 2nd coat was necessary, but for the sake of the half a day it takes to do, I think it's better to do it rather than possibly having to deal with it later.

Couple of very old apple trees in a garden on a farm I have rented.
Extremely crooked and ugly looking.
The get no care but I keep the cattle out to give them a chance .
Never fail to deliver drought or else . Anyone have any ideas on storing apples.
I may root out my rolling pin and make a tart.:lol::whistle:
At 300/acre The will be the dearest tarts in Ireland.
20180822_141635.jpg 20180822_141752.jpg

Never fail to deliver drought or else . Anyone have any ideas on storing apples.
View attachment 57868 View attachment 57869

For storing them, go through them individually and remove any one with spots. These are the ones to use first. The ones without spot can be wrapped individually in newspapers and stored in a cool dry dark place. Have seen them stored in a cardboard box (individually wrapped) in an attic.
My father bought an apple peeler last year and he peels a lot of his stock of apples, chops them up and freezes them to use when he needs them over the winter.

My father bought an apple peeler last year and he peels a lot of his stock of apples, chops them up and freezes them to use when he needs them over the winter.
We do that here it don't have a special apple peeler though. Please do send me details or picture.
Of course you could also go the full hog and turn into cider!!

We do that here it don't have a special apple peeler though. Please do send me details or picture.
Of course you could also go the full hog and turn into cider!!

Simple apple peeler. You can buy them on ebay for €20. It peels, cores and slices all in the one go.

s-l500.jpg

Maybe so, Suckers for punishment!

As for having a better tank, based on how the one 20 years ago has survived, I'd have to disagree in my opinion, no issues with slurry drying out or water seeping in.

Edit:Doing a rough calculation, pouring the tank would cost approx 60% extra.

The water seeping out or in would be the last thing I would be thinking about, I would be more concerned about the blocks ending up in the tank. There would be a lot of pressure on them walls coming from the soil on the outside. Your soil looks to be quite dry and is standing up well so mightn't be as bad if there was a higher water content in it

Those old, neglected apple trees are the most reliable ones to grow apples year in, year out!
There is a cardboard tray available with large dimples in it for storing around 20 apples each, then the next tray sits on top and you place another 20 apples in the 20 dimples etc. Think I've seen them on shelves in supermarkets holding apples or maybe they came in the boxes with apples. The idea of the dimples is that each apple sits in a dimple and there is an inch of space between each apple and a bad one can't spread.
MF30

Best storage is in a bottle:wink:

The water seeping out or in would be the last thing I would be thinking about, I would be more concerned about the blocks ending up in the tank. There would be a lot of pressure on them walls coming from the soil on the outside. Your soil looks to be quite dry and is standing up well so mightn't be as bad if there was a higher water content in it
Soil is quite gravely here so hopefully won’t be an issue, only place it fell in is 2/3rds back, and that was a result of the block lorry putting his jack down too close to the edge.

Would that not suck a lot of nutrients out of the ground. Is buckwheat not a scavenger type plant and does it get killed by the frost.

I know absolutely nothing about it or what its purpose is.

From my quick googling it can be used as a cover crop as it's very quick to grow.
Also an alternative to wheat to make flour. Also gluten free

I’m 18 miles from the sea. How far do seagulls travel or why do they travel this far inland? Is it something to do with the conditions at sea? There was 100’s of them here all day
Many stay inland, flock around rubbish tips, easy pickings.

Blackwaters place might be a bit untidy but its not a rubbish tip
:lol::lol::lol: don't go putting words in my mouth. I don't know the man so couldn't possibly make a comment like that. We'd be 80 odd miles from the sea and they're about all the time. Was a time when you only saw them when rough weather was about. We call them tip gulls not sea gulls.

Back