Todays Photo

HaoqhUd.jpg

Pulled this out of the river during the week.
I thought it was a grape that someone got their value out of but the father said it’s a drag used for cleaning the river in times gone by.

There's one here too. I remember my grandfather using it to pull duck meat (weed) from a cattle drinking pond about 30 years ago. It had a 12ft handle and longer springs than that one. He said that it was also used to rake down reeks of hay.

Did my first cut today, parts would have been nearly that heavy but some I couldn't see where I'd been.

One here which I only rooted out a month ago. Unfortunately , the 10 ft ash handle my father put in it 25 plus years ago succumbed to woodworm . Can't see it being easy to find a suitable replacement handle.
I welded the flat bit to the head , to bolt the head to the handle , when he put that handle in it.
Funny how things you laughed at the previous generation doing , when you were in your youth , you find yourself doing years later....

20190324_184738.jpg

One here which I only rooted out a month ago. Unfortunately , the 10 ft ash handle my father put in it 25 plus years ago succumbed to woodworm . Can't see it being easy to find a suitable replacement handle.
I welded the flat bit to the head , to bolt the head to the handle , when he put that handle in it.
Funny how things you laughed at the previous generation doing , when you were in your youth , you find yourself doing years later....

View attachment 64201

I would know it as a grapple, there is one here and there is maybe around 8 tines on it, I use it now and again to fish for golf balls in a drain

I would know it as a grapple, there is one here and there is maybe around 8 tines on it, I use it now and again to fish for golf balls in a drain

My father always referred to it as the grab.
Used to use it for pulling down square bales .

Back