Todays Photo

How did , or did ye , put a lift cover on it ?
L
Not wishing to rain on your parade , but thats not the hour clock . Its the speedometer and mileage reading .
Ya I just realized after you pointed it out that I added the wrong photos :Thumbp2:, Didn’t have to fit a lift cover, it had a lift cover on it, just never had lift arms or leveling boxes fitted, the two ends coming off the hydraulic cross-shaft on the lift where the only things fitted

Attachments

• DE2EAACD-3DDA-45E4-BD11-4A8C2B9C9BA2.jpeg
    DE2EAACD-3DDA-45E4-BD11-4A8C2B9C9BA2.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 73
Only picture of it I have on this phone, stays on the bale splitter in the winter months then normally gets hooked onto the log splitter for summer months, it used to be parked in the slatted shed around animals, hence all the rust :sad:

Regardless that was a great find by your Dad, not many would have been fitted with the Duncan Supercab I would think.

Future of cereal herbicides?
Looks like that’s the way that Brussels wants us to go. Coupled with RTK etc the cost of going organic is eye watering.
If I was younger with an enthusiastic successor I’d take the plunge...

Attachments

• 81465A78-96F4-45F2-8FAE-F5F80DE37385.jpeg
    81465A78-96F4-45F2-8FAE-F5F80DE37385.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 105
Looks like that’s the way that Brussels wants us to go. Coupled with RTK etc the cost of going organic is eye watering.
Fancy, herbicides are so much more harmful for the environment than burning fossil fuel and soil carbon.

Visited an organic farm in Suffolk a few years ago that were using a Cameleon seed drill that had a side shift on it so it could be used as a hoe during the growing season. Seemed a good idea and was working well for the farm.

One hive needn't be a lot of work. I think some people make it more work than necessary. You wouldn't look at them all winter, just check the weight of the hive incase they need feeding. Check them over in spring when it warms up and they start being active. Have the supers ready to put on when the honey starts flowing. Don't let them get over crowded, that's when they'll think about swarming. Don't look at them when there's thunder about, that'll put you off keeping bees.
A sunny day with a good nectar source on the go they're a pleasure to work. We always used to work them in short sleeves and a veil.

If you want bees just go for it, I work full time and have close on 40 gives I don't bother them just keep putting on the supers sooner rather than later you'll get the feel of them. Some people make a big job out of them opening them every 2 weeks sometimes killing the queen then blame the farmer for spraying in the same parish as the bees.

So.... I have bees!
We serviced the forager yesterday and I pulled out a lump of grass from the flywheel.
Didn't notice yesterday, but this morning the clump of grass was full of bees!!
So I scooped it into a box with a hole in this mornning and they are still in there!

Going to pick up an empty hive tomorrow.
Any advice from here!! Not sure how to transfer them, or even if there are enough bees to bother with!!

So.... I have bees!
We serviced the forager yesterday and I pulled out a lump of grass from the flywheel.
Didn't notice yesterday, but this morning the clump of grass was full of bees!!
So I scooped it into a box with a hole in this mornning and they are still in there!

Going to pick up an empty hive tomorrow.
Any advice from here!! Not sure how to transfer them, or even if there are enough bees to bother with!!
I presume the hive will have a full set of frames. Get a super as well but take the frames out of it, set that on top of the brood chamber and just dump the box of bees in and put the roof back on. Leave them alone for a day to sort themselves out, hopefully they will like their new home. Then you can go and pull all the grass out, put it on the ground next to the hive so any bees on it will go back in the hive.

Reactions: AYF
I presume the hive will have a full set of frames. Get a super as well but take the frames out of it, set that on top of the brood chamber and just dump the box of bees in and put the roof back on. Leave them alone for a day to sort themselves out, hopefully they will like their new home. Then you can go and pull all the grass out, put it on the ground next to the hive so any bees on it will go back in the hive.

Thanks!

Found one slight glitch!
In my haste to put the grass in the box I didn't correctly ID them!
Damn things are young bumble bees!
Must just be hatching as there was no noise as I took the lump out of the flywheel yesterday. Only noticed it after cicking the clump this morning and got surrounded by bees!!

Screenshot_20200529-183313_Gallery.jpg

Left them in the box with the lid slightly open for now!

Thanks!

Found one slight glitch!
In my haste to put the grass in the box I didn't correctly ID them!
Damn things are young bumble bees!
Must just be hatching as there was no noise as I took the lump out of the flywheel yesterday. Only noticed it after cicking the clump this morning and got surrounded by bees!!

View attachment 78630

Left them in the box with the lid slightly open for now!
Hopefully the queen is still in there with them. It’s not everyone that has their own nest of bumble bees.

Back