Tractor vrt (bit of an emergency)

Claas Grass

I have a tractor booked into Waterford VRT centre tomorrow, I was filling out the forms and double checking things on the internet as I went along when I found a possible issue.....So when buying the tractor I needed to use a machinery dealer friend to be the middle man in the deal as it was a private sale and I needed him on paper so I could finance it, I saw on the “frequently asked questions” that the dealer needs to register it for the new owner, does that mean I’m going to have to fill out the forms as if it’s my friends with my name at the end as the actual new owner, I’m almost tempted to drive down in the car with the forms and have them checked as a pre inspection rather than waste a whole day with the tractor on the road. @jd-baz might have some words of wisdom

On paper that tractor came from a dealer?. If that's the case you need him to do the registering for you. Shouldn't be any bother that way unless your friend doesn't want the hassle.

I have a tractor booked into Waterford VRT centre tomorrow, I was filling out the forms and double checking things on the internet as I went along when I found a possible issue.....So when buying the tractor I needed to use a machinery dealer friend to be the middle man in the deal as it was a private sale and I needed him on paper so I could finance it, I saw on the “frequently asked questions” that the dealer needs to register it for the new owner, does that mean I’m going to have to fill out the forms as if it’s my friends with my name at the end as the actual new owner, I’m almost tempted to drive down in the car with the forms and have them checked as a pre inspection rather than waste a whole day with the tractor on the road. @jd-baz might have some words of wisdom
Who’s name is on the invoice? And I don’t want to know all your business but presume you friend paid for the tractor in uk?and who has the v5?

I reckon @diesel power is right and it could also be a waste of time driving there in the car first, unless it's not too far, as they don't always be there, the working hours they have is a joke. You wouldn't believe the hassle I had with them when I bought a car in November.

Go down in the tractor anyways they will have it inspected and just go back with the right paper work after .

Who’s name is on the invoice? And I don’t want to know all your business but presume you friend paid for the tractor in uk?and who has the v5?
My name is on the invoice from the Irish dealer, he had an invoice from the farmer in the UK, I also have the V5.

On paper that tractor came from a dealer?. If that's the case you need him to do the registering for you. Shouldn't be any bother that way unless your friend doesn't want the hassle.
I presume I can drive the tractor down and present it for him, just have his signatures where necessary and VRT payment will have to be from an account in his name I suppose.

I’d fill out paper work as is and go down with it , I presume you have the document from the boat
Ya I have the shipping document which is in my name also, I just don’t want to have to give 4hrs on the road another day if they say there’s something wrong.

Should only have to go once,invoice and shipping receipt with the date should cover your, and make sure you can access the chassis number on chassis, when I brought in the Cvx, they wouldn’t register it,front linkage ran back over the chassis numbe, even tho there was a plate in the cab with it on it, (so instead of taking the linkage off, and bring it back up) i had to get a letter from case dealer to say the tractor was the tractor and the chassis number was right,2weeks off messing and had it book 2weeks for the appointment, so had to pay the vrt and a fine of €100!

Last edited:
I presume I can drive the tractor down and present it for him, just have his signatures where necessary and VRT payment will have to be from an account in his name I suppose.
I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. Given that it's a dealers name on the invoice is there a need to present the tractor at all?. I've been told in the past that the vrt crowd are happy to accept the serial numbers and whatnot on paper when it's from a recognised dealer.

Could you outline the process they followed in the end @Claas Grass

Without sharing anyone's details of course... Was it all done with dealers info or did you use yours I mean?
Just filled it out as normal all my info, I got him to give me the authority letter just incase but they never asked me any questions, I had everything in my name including the shipping docket so I suppose there wasn’t much need for them to question anything.

Back