Tractors on the motorway

Was chatting a tester who's to open a new test centre shortly a few weeks back. He was on a course a few months back and the rsa had a new Fendt in going through a test to see how they'd get on. There ready for testing tractors apart from them having trouble doing brake tests with the cleats on agri tyres. The tester said tests on trailers will be in before the test on tractors. New test centre even has a lane between the LCVs and the HGVs when the time comes.

They were trying to get info of the rsa but they weren't inclined to give any. What they did say was the rsa will pick a year(e.g. Given was 92) and all tractors from that year on will require a test cert to be used on a public highway.
Wasn't that clarified not long ago, there will be a test for tractors that are primarily used for a purpose other than agriculture?

Wasn't that clarified not long ago, there will be a test for tractors that are primarily used for a purpose other than agriculture?

That was, but the word there was all after a certain year will follow shortly along with agri trailers.

More bureaucracy, it seems they just don't want tractors on the road full stop.
You could say that about cars, vans, trucks, buses and every other type of vehicle that has to be tested. Maybe you're right and the whole thing is a tree hugger's conspiracy to turn the entire road network into a giant cycle lane :whistle:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...rash-involving-tractor-in-waterford-1.3126370

Had to happen sooner or later. Now road haulage association are callling out for full DOE on all tractors and ban from using motorways.
Think there is more of a back story to that accident, I heard the lorry driver died from a heart attack ? Could be wrong , also heard he had health issues a few weeks before the accident also .
They seem to really jumping on the tractors on the motorway thing now but is that part of the road not a dual carriageway as it's an N road ?

I think if the powers that be really want to make the roads safer they need to address width.

Most rural roads are two narrow, another foot or two would be invaluable, along with making margins and drainage channels less of a danger.

But the haulage industry has its own problems. Even with tests, cpc; I still see trucks with bad tyres, trailers out of test; and gravel trucks clearly over loaded.

But it is unfair that they have to jump through so many hoops and then watch a fella buy a tractor and trailer, run it on agri, a school child driving; taking their work; and driving on the motorway to boot.

Fastracs did nothing but blur the line, along with many lads hauling with tractors.

I have no problem with any tractor on the road that has a conscientious driver; kit in good order; hauling their own stuff.

But I have a category that contains tractors on motorways, poor kit, incorrect braking, bad drivers; and I do agree whether it's Joe blogs or a road haulier, that element has to be tackled.

Think there is more of a back story to that accident, I heard the lorry driver died from a heart attack ? Could be wrong , also heard he had health issues a few weeks before the accident also .
They seem to really jumping on the tractors on the motorway thing now but is that part of the road not a dual carriageway as it's an N road ?
I think you're fairly correct in most of that statement, don't know about the last bit though....I used to meet the man most days during the winter when I was driving a truck, a real gentleman, one of the few ones that I would get out and have the chat with. I don't get lads obsession with using the motorway as I've said before, it's not safe and draws way too much attention on our industry, last week I was on the M50 and the inside lane was all backed up, everyone standing on the brakes, turned out to be a NH TM140 with a front loader and dump trailer, only one magnetic light working on the back :unsure: Came home and I was on FB, came up on Agri land or something that the traffic corps had pulled him in and done the driver and owner for four bald tyres

I think if the powers that be really want to make the roads safer they need to address width.

Most rural roads are two narrow, another foot or two would be invaluable, along with making margins and drainage channels less of a danger.

But the haulage industry has its own problems. Even with tests, cpc; I still see trucks with bad tyres, trailers out of test; and gravel trucks clearly over loaded.

But it is unfair that they have to jump through so many hoops and then watch a fella buy a tractor and trailer, run it on agri, a school child driving; taking their work; and driving on the motorway to boot.

Fastracs did nothing but blur the line, along with many lads hauling with tractors.

I have no problem with any tractor on the road that has a conscientious driver; kit in good order; hauling their own stuff.

But I have a category that contains tractors on motorways, poor kit, incorrect braking, bad drivers; and I do agree whether it's Joe blogs or a road haulier, that element has to be tackled.

I agree. County Councils need a kick up the hole and they should be made maintain our roads. Ditches should be cut be it the responsibility of the landowner or whoever. Large overhanging trees and bushes that are posing a danger should be cut down. The hippies need a reality check and realise that safety and common sense is more important then the birds.Drains should be properly maintained and upgraded. Rural roads should be tarred into the butt of the ditch. Surfaces maintained and renewed where necessary. Less wear and tear on vehicles and much much easier for traffic to pass safely.

Far too many tractors and trailers on the road now with poor lighting and bad tyres. There are the few who will meet the requirements and even exceed them in some cases. The same yes goes for lorries and trailers.

This was another thing "I took home from the states". Over there you pay a property tax annually. It's not cheap, around $15000 for my brother in law, but he says it is spent in his locality and he gets the benefit; plus has a say if he wanted. But the concept keeps people focused on their community, and that's the simple way to do it. Not a diluted system where all I see is our road tax paying for Irish water (mostly in Dublin).

But keeping on topic, I agree with other posters, there's a few tools out there which are making us all look bad.

Insurance is probably the biggest problem and I bet as a problem, it's cars that have the highest % of in insured drivers?
Reading about that judge throwing out cases of young uninsured drivers is only going to encourage it; and ultimately you and me pay the bill.

That's a good point about cleaning the verge's, they did great work 2yrs back around here cleaning the sod off the sides of the roads, great comfort pulling in to pass something and less weeds growing out onto the road.
But the waste would sicken you, a good lad with a shovel would have nearly done as much as the 6 council lads did in a day with a van, digger, tractor and dump trailer and a small truck at their disposal! There was a private crowd given the job after a while and they managed with 3 lads, a van, small track machine and tractor and dump trailer and flew through it.

Was heading past kilcock on the m4 earlier. Road mad busy naturally. There was a new holland with a lowloader driving on the hard shoulder, bit reckless imo. Couldn't help but laugh when I saw he had one of those red and yellow childrens' push cars ratchet strapped on the trailer

Was this the fella ya seen? Seen this on Facebook
D09125D5-BB54-4D90-A4BF-4A5A5649800D.png
Was heading past kilcock on the m4 earlier. Road mad busy naturally. There was a new holland with a lowloader driving on the hard shoulder, bit reckless imo. Couldn't help but laugh when I saw he had one of those red and yellow childrens' push cars ratchet strapped on the trailer

You are allowed on motorway if you can do 50k . What annoys me is a breakdown truck with a starlet on the back with more lights than Liam Donohoe and an 80 tonne digger .

True but ain’t the rule that you have to be able to stay above 50km even on hills and the likes. Yea true that. I never understood why they needed every flasher on and they just driving down the road the same size as any other small truck.

You are allowed on motorway if you can do 50k . What annoys me is a breakdown truck with a starlet on the back with more lights than Liam Donohoe and an 80 tonne digger .
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. It is perfectly legal to walk into a shop and purchase a Phil Collins album. There isn't even a law to prevent you playing it, such is the twisted and depraved world we live in.

Fair enough, you're legally allowed. Don't think it was a wise move on the 22nd of December at half 4 though... he was driving on the hard shoulder if he was to meet a cat broke down in the hard shoulder or the exit ahead presuming he wasn't exiting it could get awkward. Not to mention the gombeens who are on the road.

Fair enough, you're legally allowed. Don't think it was a wise move on the 22nd of December at half 4 though... he was driving on the hard shoulder if he was to meet a cat broke down in the hard shoulder or the exit ahead presuming he wasn't exiting it could get awkward. Not to mention the gombeens who are on the road.

Fecking cats always breaking down. More of a dog person myself

Back