Tyres wearing flat spots

Had the same happen either two or three times (but definitely at least two times) on wife’s car. It was kumo Tyres each time and same story a vibration came in the car. Each time it was a rear tyre. Got some land when I saw the worn patch as I would never leave a tyre wear down to the point of it being even close to unsafe. I did not buy kumo Tyres sense. There was no issues with alignment or inflation that the garage or I could point to.
These are Kumho tyres also, inflation pressures are displayed on the dashboard so these are correct and compared against my own PCL inflator. Not a great choice of tyre for original equipment but it must be a cost cutting exercise for manufacturers lately. Gonna check all tyres tomorrow and I dare say it'll be a new set I'll be fitting.

These are Kumho tyres also, inflation pressures are displayed on the dashboard so these are correct and compared against my own PCL inflator. Not a great choice of tyre for original equipment but it must be a cost cutting exercise for manufacturers lately. Gonna check all tyres tomorrow and I dare say it'll be a new set I'll be fitting.
That tyre looks aged with cracks and is on the point of blowout, what sort of mileage has it done, wifes car insurance was up lately and she had it with Supervalu, when the renewal notice came there was an underrider that cover would not apply in the event of an accident if thread depth was under legal depth 1.6mm, just thinking if you had those and one blew and caused a crash how would it stand up. We have renewed with a different insurer with no such stipulations.

That tyre looks aged with cracks and is on the point of blowout, what sort of mileage has it done, wifes car insurance was up lately and she had it with Supervalu, when the renewal notice came there was an underrider that cover would not apply in the event of an accident if thread depth was under legal depth 1.6mm, just thinking if you had those and one blew and caused a crash how would it stand up. We have renewed with a different insurer with no such stipulations.
As far as I know they will pay for the other party but might not pay for the comprehensive on the car .

If she was drunk will they pay out .
I had a bump come on a Kormoran Tyre the other day with low miles on it .

It's a 172 reg car with 38k kilometres, they all appear to be perishing to a degree. How can this be on 18 month old tyres? I'll check the date stamped on the tyres in daylight. I hadn't been looking at the tyres carefully as from the outside they look ok judging by the outside edge grip and I wasn't expecting such deterioration at those miles and age, it's a pure miracle that there wasn't a blowout and crash.

Isn’t wear in the centre of the tyre like that not a sign of it being over inflated?
Normally yes, but these are inflated to 32psi and are regularly checked by me when cold and the on board computer. If a tyre goes below 28 psi the tyre is identified and an alarm is sounded, if it goes below 20 psi a puncture warning and ringing alarm is sounded .

I would agree with @denis086 that tyre looks to have been over inflated. Doesn't matter what the equipment is saying regards pressure, the wear in the centre (compared to the shoulders) speaks volumes.
With regards to the flat spot, that could be caused by the brake on that wheel grabbing in that particular position.

I would agree with @denis086 that tyre looks to have been over inflated. Doesn't matter what the equipment is saying regards pressure, the wear in the centre (compared to the shoulders) speaks volumes.
With regards to the flat spot, that could be caused by the brake on that wheel grabbing in that particular position.

@MF30 i assume they are inflated to 32psi as that is what the car manufacturer recommends? That and the fact that they are first days tyres would mean that they aren’t over inflated. Rather, the tyre is faulty.
32psi wouldn’t be excessive in my experience?

It’s a fair coincidence that another member on here had the same experience with the same brand.....

If the above is the case then the manufacturer of the tyre needs to be informed.

@MF30 i assume they are inflated to 32psi as that is what the car manufacturer recommends? That and the fact that they are first days tyres would mean that they aren’t over inflated. Rather, the tyre is faulty.
32psi wouldn’t be excessive in my experience?

It’s a fair coincidence that another member on here had the same experience with the same brand.....

If the above is the case then the manufacturer of the tyre needs to be informed.
Yes the manufacturer recommends 32psi, computer has this set as normal with a deviation of 10% either way giving a warning, and a bit more pressure recommended also if fully loaded. 30psi was always my guideline for car tyres in general. When I enquired about replacements this evening the supplier commented that Kumho would be only a very middling quality tyre. All 4 tyres have slight perishing and I'm suspicious about another one being out of shape. My opinion of the flat spot was where a pothole may have been struck and damaged the carcass, then as a weakness develops the tyre swells out on this spot hitting the road harder each revolution causing more and more wear. The tyre in question is a 225/60 R18 and I have two ordered for tomorrow for the front and we'll see how the back fares out. I've never had a failure like this and I'd say this tyre was down to the last layer of rubber before it popped.

Normally over inflation would cause central wear but this isn't the cause in this case, I suspect a weak tyre structure causing the tread area not to stay level. Modern ABS systems wouldn't allow any grabbing of this degree, more likely striking a pothole. Wonder where she found a pothole to hit in this country....

Normally over inflation would cause central wear but this isn't the cause in this case, I suspect a weak tyre structure causing the tread area not to stay level. Modern ABS systems wouldn't allow any grabbing of this degree, more likely striking a pothole. Wonder where she found a pothole to hit in this country....
Given that someone else has had the same trouble with the same make of tyre, you're probably right.
Don't discount brakes as a cause of flat spots because you have ABS, a warped disc could cause the wheel to stop in the same place every time before the ABS releases, do it enough times and you end up with a flat spot.

Finally got the rep out last week. According to him it was a combination of out of alignment (4mm) and too high pressure (23psi). He dropped them to 19 psi. I dont buy it to be honest I think thats complete nonsense when the continentals done 5000hours really badly out of line and all sorts of pressures. He was dead on fella to he fair to him though but im not convinced

How did you get on with the klebers after? Did they last long or did the rep do anything for you on replacing them

she,s going to have to stop doing handbrake turns :sad:
I'd blame that if it was a back wheel! She's going mad as I fitted the space saver wheel and told her the big 80kph sticker on it means if you go over 80 kph it'll explode....also told her I can't get a replacement tyre for a week! She was holding up traffic on the N11 tonight doing 80...:lol:

Just checked tyre, manufactured the 11th week of 2017 so it's only 2 years old. Wondered first had it been sitting on a rack for years before being fitted.

Back