Vicon settings for grass seed

Haven't a clue what the number would be but my dad used to say to set it so that each of the 3 holes would be the size of a good cigar.

There is or was a kit available from Vicon for grass seed. It consisted of two plates to block off two of the three holes in the plate under the agitator and a Kings Crown to clip onto the agitator.:whistle:
I cannot remember any settings though:sweatdrop:

Haven't a clue what the number would be but my dad used to say to set it so that each of the 3 holes would be the size of a good cigar.

Size of opening surely depends on forward speed/ bout width, one for [MENTION=1411]nashmach[/MENTION]

The size of a half inch hydrodare water pipe at 6 mph and a spread width of a metre or less away from the last wheel track on the previous bout.

The size of a half inch hydrodare water pipe at 6 mph and a spread width of a metre or less away from the last wheel track on the previous bout.

+1 for this setting . Set grass seed at this setting on jpt recommendation last year and work well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is or was a kit available from Vicon for grass seed. It consisted of two plates to block off two of the three holes in the plate under the agitator and a Kings Crown to clip onto the agitator.:whistle:
I cannot remember any settings though:sweatdrop:

+1 for this setting . Set grass seed at this setting on jpt recommendation last year and work well .

I tried a half inch water pipe to see and that would make the setting 33, seems very big, would you block of two holes at that setting

I tried a half inch water pipe to see and that would make the setting 33, seems very big, would you block of two holes at that setting

Big difference between normal and heavy guage water pipe..:whistling:

No never blocked any holes . It is fairly open alright . Think my speed might haven been a little faster maybe 7mph . Have you much to do . A small bit of ground is ideal to fine tune the settings .

No all three holes open,that setting is slightly over a bag per acre.

1 bag per acre is 13 at 11.5 km/hr. As the lads said keep about 1 metre from your previous run.

Size of opening surely depends on forward speed/ bout width, one for [MENTION=1411]nashmach[/MENTION]

A little over a bag to the acre is 9 on ours, all open, high second at 540rpm using the 3600 which is about 8mph I think. That is with about a metre between the marks and criss crossing.

A little over a bag to the acre is 9 on ours, all open, high second at 540rpm using the 3600 which is about 8mph I think. That is with about a metre between the marks and criss crossing.

When you say criss crossing do you mean go over it twice and the second run is 90 degrees to the first

When you say criss crossing do you mean go over it twice and the second run is 90 degrees to the first

That's the one. I was advised to do it that way for evenness but I'm sure one way with a corresponding setting will be fine.

We were actually sowing forage rape this evening which is similarly a very fine seed and only go the one way and it has been fine in previous years.

I concur with the learned [MENTION=1411]nashmach[/MENTION] a setting of 8-9 on vicon used for years sowing grass seed with a 135 in 5th low multipower. :thumbup:

Got it sowed and was through it today and it is starting to come up, I ended up with the setting at 24 and went over it twice in different directions, it is probably on the heavy side and not sure how much ground is in it.

Back