Vicon Wagtail Bearings

Have an old 3/4 tonne vicon wagtail around here that has developed a "knock" when spreading, I presume it's the bearings as the 'hums' nicely for a bit then 'knocks' or sounds rough, but near the end of the season it sounded rough nearly all the time :lol:

Are the bearing expensive for these?

How much would I be looked at to get them replaced with an agri mechanic?

or are they handy enough to change ? and I could give it a go myself? :lol:

Thanks

Have an old 3/4 tonne vicon wagtail around here that has developed a "knock" when spreading, I presume it's the bearings as the 'hums' nicely for a bit then 'knocks' or sounds rough, but near the end of the season it sounded rough nearly all the time :lol:

Are the bearing expensive for these?

How much would I be looked at to get them replaced with an agri mechanic?

or are they handy enough to change ? and I could give it a go myself? :lol:

Thanks

The bearings shouldnt be too bad pricewise, you will probably get them in a good bearing shop.
I did them on an old D shape vicon years ago and they were pretty straighforward iirc.

there s a bushing and needle bearing on the wee flywheel that probably needs replacing also

there s a bushing and needle bearing on the wee flywheel that probably needs replacing also
was going to mention that.

tbh mf man if there is one bearing away chances are they are all near shot imo.

they arent too bad to pull apart, the biggest challenge is saving stuff as you take it asunder, everything ill be like it grew there.
no problem getin spurious parts tho.

this will give you an idea of the breakdown, page 47, but its a large file so be patient if your tinternet is slow.
it ill give you sizes and part numbers for your model of sower.
http://mchc.ie/uploads/catalogues/Machinery_Application_1A_1999.pdf

was quoted €40 for the bearings a couple of months ago if you dont let it get to bad. i presume that means if you need the two side bearings and not the one in the flywheel :confused:

was quoted €40 for the bearings a couple of months ago if you dont let it get to bad. i presume that means if you need the two side bearings and not the one in the flywheel :confused:
if he gets the caps off in one piece he will be doing well.

was going to mention that.

tbh mf man if there is one bearing away chances are they are all near shot imo.

they arent too bad to pull apart, the biggest challenge is saving stuff as you take it asunder, everything ill be like it grew there.
no problem getin spurious parts tho.

this will give you an idea of the breakdown, page 47, but its a large file so be patient if your tinternet is slow.
it ill give you sizes and part numbers for your model of sower.
http://mchc.ie/uploads/catalogues/Machinery_Application_1A_1999.pdf

Cheers lads

Excellent find there tinman :thumbup2:

i think theres two different types in the flywheel one is a ball bearing the other is a needle bearing my one has the needle bearing where you have to replace the aluminium housing i cant remember what it cost but i think it was dear enough.

better of replacing all bearings once your in there i find, done two differant bearings two seasons ago, when the third went we pulled all in and replaced with new and no problems yet

I remember having to cut the caps off before, luckly replacements were very cheap, including the grease nipple also. I'd be incline to replace the old ones anyways!

There is a round aluminium housing with a needle roller bearing, the housing can be rotated to adjust the width of the spreader, the bearing inside in this on mine was shot, it was difficult finding a replacement but I managed to get one eventually. It failed again about a year later though, so I just got a replacement aluminium housing and bearing kit, which wasn't cheap but fixed the problem.

All in all I probably spend 200 in parts, its working grand now. I was faced with getting almost nothing for trading it in otherwise.

I nearly made myself decidely less pretty when I did the main pivot bearings for the spout. Went to gas the balls out from the race forgetting about all the grease in the housing - which shot up like a firework when I hit the oxygen.

I suspect (based on the hopper size) that mfman has a varispreader with the aluminium piece on the flywheel that's mentioned above. I seem to recall there being a bushing that went onto the stubbly little round shaft on the front of the wishbone. It's important to replace it when you have it apart as if it wears through the shaft gets worn into an oval and it's new wishbone.

Is there a way to get these apart without destroying the bearings in the process. Have one at the moment and the rubber shock absorber coming from the pto shaft is disintegrated. All the bearings are sound though I’m just having difficulty pulling it apart without having a large parts bill

Is there a way to get these apart without destroying the bearings in the process. Have one at the moment and the rubber shock absorber coming from the pto shaft is disintegrated. All the bearings are sound though I’m just having difficulty pulling it apart without having a large parts bill
Which bearings, the flywheel bearing, wishbone bearings or main swivel bearings? Photos?

Which bearings, the flywheel bearing, wishbone bearings or main swivel bearings? Photos?
I need to get the shaft out of the front to put in a new rubber shock absorber so need to get the wishbone out of the way first

Attachments

• 7176298C-11E9-4D71-8475-29EB6885C675.jpeg
    7176298C-11E9-4D71-8475-29EB6885C675.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 5A02A6F5-5A9D-4565-AABA-DB20ECC6E891.jpeg
    5A02A6F5-5A9D-4565-AABA-DB20ECC6E891.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 69
I need to get the shaft out of the front to put in a new rubber shock absorber so need to get the wishbone out of the way first
20180808_212743.jpg 20180808_212729.jpg
Here are pictures from one that I dismantled over the winter, fairly sure that I removed the cage around the ball bearings, then remove the balls and then you feed the wishbone out over one end etc. Replacement of the bearings involves just tapping them in and using plastic cap for end float. In theory the bearings should come off by hitting the opposite side of the wishbone with a hammer but you risk breaking the wishbone that way.
MF30

View attachment 57405 View attachment 57406
Here are pictures from one that I dismantled over the winter, fairly sure that I removed the cage around the ball bearings, then remove the balls and then you feed the wishbone out over one end etc. Replacement of the bearings involves just tapping them in and using plastic cap for end float. In theory the bearings should come off by hitting the opposite side of the wishbone with a hammer but you risk breaking the wishbone that way.
MF30

Cheers, I tried hitting the wishbone over to get them out but it wouldn’t move. I didn’t want breaking good bearings unless I was sure I needed too and I was missing something but that seems to be the way to go.

Took 1 apart this spring, only needed the rubber thing at the front. Took the vertical shaft out & kinda slipped the wishbone out as it went, put it all back together with the old bearings ok.

Took 1 apart this spring, only needed the rubber thing at the front. Took the vertical shaft out & kinda slipped the wishbone out as it went, put it all back together with the old bearings ok.

I was trying that approach as well, took the circlip of the bottom and tried hitting the vertical shaft out, it only moved a mil or two though i resisted the urge to use the sledge at it. Just.

I think il have to make a go at our cavalo this winter its knocking when spreading . It has only done 3 or 4 seasons and not that much work in them years either and its greased every use could bearings be gone already ?

I nearly made myself decidely less pretty when I did the main pivot bearings for the spout. Went to gas the balls out from the race forgetting about all the grease in the housing - which shot up like a firework when I hit the oxygen.

I suspect (based on the hopper size) that mfman has a varispreader with the aluminium piece on the flywheel that's mentioned above. I seem to recall there being a bushing that went onto the stubbly little round shaft on the front of the wishbone. It's important to replace it when you have it apart as if it wears through the shaft gets worn into an oval and it's new wishbone.

I think il have to make a go at our cavalo this winter its knocking when spreading . It has only done 3 or 4 seasons and not that much work in them years either and its greased every use could bearings be gone already ?

I'd say mf mf fields second paragraph is your problem. If it's knocking badly the aluminium piece could be broken out of it.

Back