Volvo Bm L30 transmission.

leahyfarms

There is a slight delay in the up take of drive in the transmission in forward or reverse. I tested the line pressure and it is ok. I swaped the solenoids from range 1 and 2 into forward and reverse but made no difference. I have changed the transmission fluid and put on a new spin on filter and cleaned the other one. When it is cold I start the loader and leave it run for 10 min to warm up other wise it is very slow to move off. Even when its warm there is still a delay in it- it is like as if there is a soft engauge on it. ( If I took it up right in the manual there was an option for this but thats all it says) Any ideas or who I could call- I tryed coogan before but they could tell me nothing that I have not already tryed. Anyone know where I could get parts if I ever need them other than that A hole of a main dealer in Dublin or Coogan in Moone.

wonder would they of fitted an accumulator on her for a soft start.:001_unsure:
im only talking off the top of my head, ive often been about them but never did work on them.

sounds like you covered al the basics tho.

There is a slight delay in the up take of drive in the transmission in forward or reverse. I tested the line pressure and it is ok. I swaped the solenoids from range 1 and 2 into forward and reverse but made no difference. I have changed the transmission fluid and put on a new spin on filter and cleaned the other one. When it is cold I start the loader and leave it run for 10 min to warm up other wise it is very slow to move off. Even when its warm there is still a delay in it- it is like as if there is a soft engauge on it. ( If I took it up right in the manual there was an option for this but thats all it says) Any ideas or who I could call- I tryed coogan before but they could tell me nothing that I have not already tryed. Anyone know where I could get parts if I ever need them other than that A hole of a main dealer in Dublin or Coogan in Moone.
charge pump on the torqe converter is leaking i think it is

I can't say I have ever seen an accumulator and I have looked every where unless there is something inside. If only a shop manual was easy to get for it. Is that different from the main pump or is there only one pump in it. Is it possible to test it as there is several test ports around it. If so do you know what one.

I can't say I have ever seen an accumulator and I have looked every where unless there is something inside. If only a shop manual was easy to get for it. Is that different from the main pump or is there only one pump in it. Is it possible to test it as there is several test ports around it. If so do you know what one.
ive heard of similar problems with matbro
search bff for a thread

Voltac in Tyrone for parts 048 85557178. Engine & Transmission Services (Alistair Fingleton) Castledermot for repairs/advice :thumbup1:

nicholas gainford in wexford can get parts for volvos don,t know how keen he is on prices though

that transmission is a clarke 18641 or a 18341 depending on whether it is a 6 speed shovel or a 3 speed shovel.

its the same transmission used on JCB 410s (the one with the cab attached to the frount axle)

you sure your machine is in first gear, know of one machine that the switch for the 1,2,3.4 was faulty in and wouldn't engage 1st gear thereby giving the symptom of faulty transmission as it wouldn't spin the wheels

what type of oil you put into it when you refilled it, you need to check dipstick with engine running as oi is pumped up to the top of it when running

Treemover on here isn't a million miles from you, and gets someone relaitvely local to service his volvo L70 for him

Thanks for the info.
The transmission is a 3 speed. Do you know if its possible to put in the splitter and make it a 6 speed. I was looking at a 6 speed before and it looks like it can be done by just taking off a plate on the front of the transmission and put in the splitter there.
When it takes up the drive in 1 it has no problem spinning the wheels and it will pull the motor right down. When I put it into forward the line pressure drops to 140 PSI and climbs slowly back up to 189 at WOT. When I put it into reverse the line pressure drops to 100 PSI and climbs slowly back up- but yet it is no slower taking up reverse than forward. When I change the ranges the pressure just drops 15 20 PSI for a second and there is no delay.
I am using Comma AQF and I check it with the motor running and I have a little extra put in it (its not foaming).
Thanks again for all the replys

Theres 7105 Hrs on the loader and it has been well servicved normal service is about 300 -400 Hrs ( once a year).

Thanks for the info.
The transmission is a 3 speed. Do you know if its possible to put in the splitter and make it a 6 speed. I was looking at a 6 speed before and it looks like it can be done by just taking off a plate on the front of the transmission and put in the splitter there.
When it takes up the drive in 1 it has no problem spinning the wheels and it will pull the motor right down. When I put it into forward the line pressure drops to 140 PSI and climbs slowly back up to 189 at WOT. When I put it into reverse the line pressure drops to 100 PSI and climbs slowly back up- but yet it is no slower taking up reverse than forward. When I change the ranges the pressure just drops 15 20 PSI for a second and there is no delay.
I am using Comma AQF and I check it with the motor running and I have a little extra put in it (its not foaming).
Thanks again for all the replys
not your problem mind but i wouldnt be too gone on comma oil tbh.
now i cant sit here and dish out specs of said oil mind but id be inclined to try to use a better branded oil, indeed comma oil is the same stuff as in halfords own brand iirc, and is owned by esso ( iirc ) who is now exon mobil, but id consider it to be a budget oil imo.
like i say, im no expert, but about here id only use comma oil in an oil can, if i did have a bit of it, which i dont think i do anymore.
on the other hand, horses for courses, and if your getin away with it then why change i guess.
only thing is its not much more to get into a higher spec oil really for they can charge enuf for the comma in places.

Hi the saying around here is "any oil is better than no oil!"

sound like solenid spool or clutch pack piston rings or teflon ring shot!!!
worst thing is its nearly cab of for trany out,done a couple of 416s and 414s,stay checking pressure and electrics till ya cant do anything else other than take it out

"check are ya getting full voltage to the solenid!!"

Oh thats not what I wanted to hear about that fluid:no: because I got an awful lot of trouble with trying to get the right fluid that would work in the automatics and this fluid worked perfect so thats why I use it in the Volvo. Do you know of a brand that would have the same type spec as the Comma AQF.

I checked out the voltage when I swaped the solenoids and it was 25 or 26V. I forget now but it was ok.

I believe the hrs are genuine as I am the second owner of it and the last owner was just a farmer. The loader is very tight and in vgc for the age.

Oh thats not what I wanted to hear about that fluid:no: because I got an awful lot of trouble with trying to get the right fluid that would work in the automatics and this fluid worked perfect so thats why I use it in the Volvo. Do you know of a brand that would have the same type spec as the Comma AQF.

I checked out the voltage when I swaped the solenoids and it was 25 or 26V. I forget now but it was ok.

I believe the hrs are genuine as I am the second owner of it and the last owner was just a farmer. The loader is very tight and in vgc for the age.

Dont worry bout the fluid

have you tried a liter or 3 overfull??

All torque should be in tested when engine is running because it fills the turbine,when busy at silage you wouldn't ask a million questions,you'd get atf and throw it in.

There's a lad in athy that worked in pat o donnells and you need to talk to him what that lad can't do with them ain't worth doing

Pat o d o n n e l l's the lumia won't let me spell it any other way

All torque should be in tested when engine is running because it fills the turbine,when busy at silage you wouldn't ask a million questions,you'd get atf and throw it in.

There's a lad in athy that worked in pat o donnells and you need to talk to him what that lad can't do with them ain't worth doing

Pat o d o n n e l l's the lumia won't let me spell it any other way

Is that the Mark Hughes Kilcullen lad?

Can remember exactly he was don't at Tommy Connors shovel in portlaoise,he had it fixed in ten minutes and didn't charge much!

I have extra atf in the transmission. Don,t supose any one has a number for that guy or a way of finding him.:confused1:

Dont worry bout the fluid

have you tried a liter or 3 overfull??
id be verry wary about overfilling a transmission, its a great way to test seals...

as for the different brands of oils that you could get,
this is a helpfull site for deciding on which is the best oil for a particular use.
http://ew5.earlweb.com/recommendati...e=19861&site=38&region=56&language=5&brand=42

90% of the oil i use here is mobil.
the rest is total.
find them very good tbh, a wee bit dearer than the normal run of the mill oils but not a wild pile more tbh.

comma are a tad light on the forthcummings on the spec of their oil.:001_unsure:
http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/189

this is the recommended oil for a l30 transmission and would be my choice of oil.
http://www.suburbanoil.com/data_sheets/042010083441_Mobil_DTE_10_Exce-_Product_Data_Sheet[2].pdf
some say oil is oil, but that's your typical farmer's answer imo.
no doubt all oils look similar, but the buck stops there, there can be a world of difference in them.
not the end of the world now, its only my opinion really from a little experience.

leone75 on here would be a better man to explain this tbh.
maybe he might comment on it.

Hello I have been asked to comment on this transmission.
I have no direct experience of this transmission but I have worked on other clarke transmissions and if the pressure is slow to build it would normally be seals in a pack somewhere.
The solenoids are working if the pressure changes when a gear is engaged. I reason it is slow to pickup is that the torque converter only fills after the clutches are pressurised therefore if the packs are leaking then the converter is not getting enough oil.

I have a look to see if I have any more info on it

Leone75

Progress update.
The outer springs on the forward & reverse accumulators were broken as can be seen in the picture. Got a new set of springs and gaskets-shims for the charge pump. Transmission is working perfect with no delay.:001_smile:

Just a few words on how I found my problem. If you have any trouble with your Volvo or Clark equipment don,t bother calling anyone here. They know less than nothing. They will only send you in the wrong direction ( A case of won't tell - can't tell).:thumbdown:
All I kept on being told was my tranny was worn out, seals leaking, charge pump worn etc. I knew from my tests that this was all wrong as it just did not add up. Long story short I called this company( Centeral driveline) in the UK and talked to a Guy called Steve. Now this guy knows his Clarks. It took less than 5 min he told me what and where my problem was. :thumbup:
If anyone wants to contact them here is there details
Centeral driveline
Hockley Way,
Nix's Hill industrial estate,
Alfreton,
Derbyshire,
DE55 7 FA
Tel 44 1773 605 444
They are agents for repair and parts of Dana, Clark, Hurth, Sige, Comaxle and Kirkstall.

Back