Volvo loaders

anyone wit experience of an l45g at silage?
they look small but weigh 9.7 tonnes

you saw plenty in your travels today :D, sexy looking toy isnt she. inside the cab is very tight, or probably my belly is too big is closer to the truth. Wouldnt fancy putting that loader on a pit, but would be some machine to have around for feeding and light farm work

Anyone running a volvo L30, 4200 or similar? Looking for something for the yard, loading diet feeder ect. How reliable are they or is there anything to look out for? thanks in advance for replys !

we have an L30, we bought SH 2007, 92Wx is the reg, with 9800hrs on it, it has closer to 12k hrs on it now

a few things
  • engine in ours is a 236T, its one of the v last as the earlier ones weren't turboed
  • transmission is a clark 18641, the 6 means that it has a high and low speed gearbox in it, don't know where it was ordered this way or whether the last of the L30s were made this way. The regular box would just be 3 speed, a clark 18341 transmission.

FYI the JCB 410s that are quite popular in ireland have the same engine and transmission only these are 12V rather than 24V
  • hydraulics-these left the factory at 2200psi, meaning that you need to adjust the pressure to close a sheargrab successfully. you need 2700-2800psi to close a sheargrab successfully everytime. My neighbour has a JCB farmmaster 412 and he says the L30 will close the grab faster than his, I don't know why, maybe the 3rd service on his has small pipes or something, a 412 should have plenty capacity. This is the 412 he has https://www.google.com/search?q=jcb...bridge-machinery-sale-190-0%3Fpg%3D31;500;375
  • hydraulic controls-levers from the spool block same as a tractor loader, no L30s were made with the servo controls that the 50ties have, great pity that, indeed those same oil over oil servos used on the L50 may be the same as sold today, someone may be able to clarify

Weak points on the L30
  • Brake Seals and Hub seals, not a big deal to repair, but hub seals in particular are v expensive
  • As the brakes are external, brake performance can decrease over time due to dirt getting in around the brakes. my method of testing- go downhill as fast as you can and brake hard, repeat 3 times in quick succession, put your hand on each disk in turn and see are all getting warm
  • bearings in steering arms-if these haven't been replaced as required they may have damaged the rams

Good points
  • Transmission- that clark transmission is supposed to be v good and virtually impossible to see the end of, indeed someone told us that the transmission is good for 180hp, someone more knowledgeable than me may know more thanme gain this depends how often the oil has been changed
    To test transmission it should be able to spin the wheels when its warm
  • Pins and bushes- if these have seen regular greasing they will outlast the machine espically at farm work, its easy to use 2-3 tubes of grease to grease an L30

as someone said earlier in the thread plenty of painted worn machines around so look before you leap, a set of agri tyres will last ~2k hrs, a shovel need agroindustrial tyres due to weight

you saw plenty in your travels today :D, sexy looking toy isnt she. inside the cab is very tight, or probably my belly is too big is closer to the truth. Wouldnt fancy putting that loader on a pit, but would be some machine to have around for feeding and light farm work

ya da belly is clumbsy you can only breath in for so long and then leave it all hang out again. ill prob loose mine alright in da gym over da winter ill be ready for da 45g then.:whistle:
bit expensive for yard work only. there,s a good few of them sold .
id an l70 4 cylinder loading silage this yr weighing 11 tonne on 620r26 and she was ideal clearing from 2 handy size wagons. i reckon da l45g would be just as good as that machine?

I'd say they could be on it alright, those yokes could have been working anywhere and not all jobs are as hard on bodywork as farming. Hours don't matter on a volvo really anyway if she's been looked after.

They really are the cats pyjamas of a loader aren't they.

Back