Vw golf

Tom19

lads im looking for a golf 09-11 preferably a 1.6 Diesel around €5000-6000 if ye know of any around munster let me know :thumbup:

Just dont is all i can say i had a 2010 1.6 tdi golf it was a totall lemmon was in the garage every week with yet another problem.

Edit: Woops just noticed the date a bit late i know but warning still stands.

Just dont is all i can say i had a 2010 1.6 tdi golf it was a totall lemmon was in the garage every week with yet another problem.

Edit: Woops just noticed the date a bit late i know but warning still stands.
No worries lad thanks for the advice anyways

Any 1 ever had a 05/06 Mazda 3 1.6 petrol/diesel car or know if they are any good ?..
I’ve worked on the 6 series, rear brake calipers are a weak point, also rust has been a failing point but may be a general problem.

How would they compare to a 01 Toyota avensis ?

In what way? Driver involvement? interior spec? style?

Most things are better than an 01 a eventless

But in terms of reliability it's hard to beat one, very simple car to work on too.

In what way? Driver involvement? interior spec? style?

Most things are better than an 01 a eventless

But in terms of reliability it's hard to beat one, very simple car to work on too.

I've had 2 Avensises (Avensi?) and a 3rd briefly through my hands and couldn't fault them on reliability. The big problem with them, if you're doing any kind of mileage, is that they're an uncomfortable car. The Corolla that was around at the same time (2001ish on) was a nicer car to sit into but will cost a touch more.

On that gen Avensis look out for rust above the rear window. On a diesel you want to make sure it's not trying to jump out of 5th gear when you accelerate.

So the VW golf is a total no no robbie you reckon ? I was thinking of a 1.4 petrol 05 to 08 ?

Golf are great bar being very expensive, hold their value to an obscene degree ,lovely finish and great handling, wouldn't buy a 1.4 though, too lacking in power

Personally I'd prefer a ford focus but only because I think the golf is too dear

Golf and focus far the best in that segment

If you feel like doing something left of field, alfa romeo giulieta are very cheap second hand, gorgeous car ,good Italian engines and not near as unreliable as assumed to be

Basically a fancy Fiat

Last edited:
Are VW golfs really that bad ?
I had an 08 1.9 diesel from new until 2016 I put 280,000 km on her, the turbo was replaced under warranty because the emission light came on, I still reckon it wasn't the turbo that was at fault. At about 7 years old the passenger door wouldn't unlock. There was a few bushings replaced and that was about all. I wouldn't say they are bad

I had an 08 1.9 diesel from new until 2016 I put 280,000 km on her, the turbo was replaced under warranty because the emission light came on, I still reckon it wasn't the turbo that was at fault. At about 7 years old the passenger door wouldn't unlock. There was a few bushings replaced and that was about all. I wouldn't say they are bad
1.9’s were a great engine, the 1.6 not so much

I put 215k km on a 05 1.9 from new, it needed the dmf (Dublin traffic!), new starter and radiator, I put 130k km on a 2011 1.6 (again from new, but was driven by my wife for its first 2 years, she did very little mileage) it had the egr valve replaced under warranty, my current one is a 2016 1.6 bought it last year @ 3 years old, ex pcp with 28k km on it, with covid I've only put 15k km on it, they have gotten very expensive new, hence the 2nd hand one this time, nice cars, the current one is loaded with spec but it will probably be my last one, they are getting lower and less comfortable for the commute, there again I've been working from home since March so if this continues I'll have the current one for a good while yet!

I put 260k km hard driving on a 07 1.9tdi, only put a fuel pump and battery into it, brilliant engine and very good on diesel.

Have a 2009 2.0 Tdi 170bhp GTD for almost 7 years. Put nearly 200k km's on it. Never let me down, never failed a NCT.

Back