Vw TDI 1.6 or 2.0

muckymanor

Anyone got any views on these engines? It the 2.0 a good engine or is it better to stick to the much more common 1.6?

Anyone got any views on these engines? It the 2.0 a good engine or is it better to stick to the much more common 1.6?

We bought a 131 Passat 4 months ago . My mechanic advised to get a 1.6. I didn’t ask why.
It’s livelier than the 1.9 red I We had before it , but needs to be driven more , if that makes sense. Its lively if you use the gears , but the old 1.9 could accelerate well enough from 30 mph in 5 th gear . This one is 6 speed but you have no business being in 6 th unless up on 100 km.

We bought a 131 Passat 4 months ago . My mechanic advised to get a 1.6. I didn’t ask why.
It’s livelier than the 1.9 red I We had before it , but needs to be driven more , if that makes sense. Its lively if you use the gears , but the old 1.9 could accelerate well enough from 30 mph in 5 th gear . This one is 6 speed but you have no business being in 6 th unless up on 100 km.
We are looking at a 12 golf that a friend has. Its a 2 litre. My parents have had a few 1.6 jettas with no problems. We know this golf so it is tempting.

I wouldn't recommend the 1.6 TDI , the turbo failed on my 2016 Seat Leon at 50k .
The vanes had seized so the complete turbo was replaced by VW under warranty.

It's started hesitating at 1800 rpm recently and the dealer can't find the problem despite having the car 3 times to investigate.
Car always serviced on time by the main dealer.
Not impressed...

I had a 2008 1.9 Golf and changed to a 2016 2.0 Jetta. Both 5 speed and the Jetta is easier on diesel. Before I bought I got a 1.6 Golf out for two days and a 2.0 Jetta out for two days. If you wanted to pass something in the golf you needed to drop 2 gears not 1, you really had to work her hard to do anything. If the 2.0 is moving at all, put your foot down and she will take of in 2nd gear. It is not very good at accelerating from a low speed in 5th gear as the 1.9 but a lot better in the lower gears.
My sister has a 2.0 Golf 6 speed and you are never in the right gear, its probably ok for motorways or straight roads where you can keep a constant speed but not so good on twisty country roads.
I have 90000km on the 2.0 with no trouble so far.

I wouldn't recommend the 1.6 TDI , the turbo failed on my 2016 Seat Leon at 50k .
The vanes had seized so the complete turbo was replaced by VW under warranty.

It's started hesitating at 1800 rpm recently and the dealer can't find the problem despite having the car 3 times to investigate.
Car always serviced on time by the main dealer.
Not impressed...

I had a 2008 1.9 Golf and changed to a 2016 2.0 Jetta. Both 5 speed and the Jetta is easier on diesel. Before I bought I got a 1.6 Golf out for two days and a 2.0 Jetta out for two days. If you wanted to pass something in the golf you needed to drop 2 gears not 1, you really had to work her hard to do anything. If the 2.0 is moving at all, put your foot down and she will take of in 2nd gear. It is not very good at accelerating from a low speed in 5th gear as the 1.9 but a lot better in the lower gears.
My sister has a 2.0 Golf 6 speed and you are never in the right gear, its probably ok for motorways or straight roads where you can keep a constant speed but not so good on twisty country roads.
I have 90000km on the 2.0 with no trouble so far.

Do you know what the timing belt replacement interval is on one of these 2.0 tdi engines? (2012)

2 2ltr mk6 golfs here. Ones an 09 5sp 110 the other is a 12 6sp 140. There both up over 120k miles atm
The 110 needed an actuator done on the turbo back in Oct. there is kind of a surprising difference in driving the 2 we both prefer my 140 but think it’s just there’s a bit more pull in it although the clutch also feels a little lighter too. 6th really does only come into it once your hitting up around the 100km mark.

The best I’ve ever seen was 69mpg but that was a long continuous motorway spin from start to finish. Normal driving on mine would run in or around 50mpg but I have noticed the 110 anytime I’m driving it seems to reckon it’s up at around 54mpg.

Nothing major other than the actuator done to either car yet and I’ve put about 35k miles on mine and I think about 25k on the other since it was gotten.

Do you know what the timing belt replacement interval is on one of these 2.0 tdi engines? (2012)
I got mine done at 100k miles and the other is getting it this week at 120ish :unsure: probably should have been done a lot sooner but it may have been done before.

Do you know which engine it is? When I went to get the kit for the 110 it turns out it’s a fair bit more expensive than the rest of them for some reason!

I got mine done at 100k miles and the other is getting it this week at 120ish :unsure: probably should have been done a lot sooner but it may have been done before.

Do you know which engine it is? When I went to get the kit for the 110 it turns out it’s a fair bit more expensive than the rest of them for some reason!

I think its 140bhp.
If the car is 7 years old, it should probably have been done when it was 4 years old regardless or mileage and it should be due another timing belt at 8 years old. (The car has 85,00 miles). I just want to be prepared before I go to look at it.

I think its 140bhp.
If the car is 7 years old, it should probably have been done when it was 4 years old regardless or mileage and it should be due another timing belt at 8 years old. (The car has 85,00 miles). I just want to be prepared before I go to look at it.
At that mileage from my experience you hopefully shouldn’t have much trouble with it so hopefully! Is it a bluemotion(stop start)? Mine is and I used to find it annoying and always turned it off with the button but don’t bother as much anymore unless I’m in traffic as I can’t see it being helpful to the starter motor

I had an 07 2.0 140bhp DSG previously. Great car and loved it. Put nearly 200,000 miles on it (320,000 kms). Had it from 10,000 miles. . I know where the car is now and it’s going trouble free since I sold it. Engine would have massive “hours” on it as Monday to Friday as a daily 2-3 hr round trip into DUBLIN but only covering 34 miles in the total round trip. On top of big trips up and down country that gave high overall mileage
Gave the usual 2.0 and Passat b6 troubles
2.0d - injectors (at only 2 years old)
Fuel pump replacement
Steering lock/conviememce control unit (twice)
Both rear handbrake motors
Gasket between vacuum pump and camshaft/engine - costly layout element
Timing belt every 60,000 as per main dealer recommended
DSG oil every 40,000 miles - c€300 bit a great box to drive and never have trouble
Did the oil pump drive - when it was ripped the drive was nearly rounded so luckily it was done before it went.
Great car but did cost a lot in repairs

We drove it last night. Didn't like it one bit. Didn't like the fact that it was 7 years old and had 130 k km and hadn't ever a timing belt. It was a UK import 3 years ago. Couldn't find the reg number anywhere on the windows or the documentation to check its mot history.

Service book had the same stamp for all UK services. No date, but the date and mileage handwritten. Same writing all the time. Brake calipers and discs looked very rusted. Alloy wheels looked very bashed.

We turned and walked away.

Might be an idea to look for a low milage 1.9 possibly in an octavia or superb

Awful hard to get one with relatively low mileage. Also, if I buy something that 10 or more years old, then I'm looking at an annual nct.
A 2011 car gives me 2 years of driving without the hassle of an nct. A 2012 means a text next year, but that test will last for 2 years.

I took a deposit on my Grand Scenic on monday and the buyer is supposed to come up chips with cash for the downpayment tonight. (and he has already texted me to say that he has the money ready)

A mechanic friend just sent me details of a 2012 Ford Focus with 70k miles and a warranty that comes near my budget.

I didn't think it was going to be this hard to find a car! But I'm not going to jump into something just for the sake of it either. I have a relative who will lend me a car for a week or 2 if I need it.

Mucky,with the milage that you're doing why are you not looking at new cars?
It might not be the car he's doing all the mileage in but still jasus if I wanted a car or even more so a specific car id just go to a few garages and buy whatever one I was happy with.
I'd do alot of things before id go borrowing a car for two weeks

It might not be the car he's doing all the mileage in but still jasus if I wanted a car or even more so a specific car id just go to a few garages and buy whatever one I was happy with.

I'll be doing the same the next time I'm changing anyway. Back during the summer the engine in the grand Vitara boiled. Spent half the day taking off the head to find a crack in it. Spent a couple of weeks looking for a replacement head for it and ended up buying a complete engine in the end. The only saving grace was that there was a nearly new clutch attached to the new engine which was great as my original one was one it's last legs too. It cost me around 500 euros to get back on the road but the hassle.

I'll be doing the same the next time I'm changing anyway. Back during the summer the engine in the grand Vitara boiled. Spent half the day taking off the head to find a crack in it. Spent a couple of weeks looking for a replacement head for it and ended up buying a complete engine in the end. The only saving grace was that there was a nearly new clutch attached to the new engine which was great as my original one was one it's last legs too. It cost me around 500 euros to get back on the road but the hassle.
I've a 2004 bora and we have a 2002 l200 for the contracting.
We will keep doing small bits to them while they need it.
If either of them packed up I'd just go and buy whatever I could afford be it 500 or 5000.
I know of a fella and meet him often whenever he's buying something he'd do a heap of research and go and look at something 40 times before committing.
He always ends up with something troublesome

Mucky,with the milage that you're doing why are you not looking at new cars?

I can buy a 20k car and leave it worth 6 or 7k in 4 years by putting 240000km on it. I have done it. Its a costly exercise.

I'm experimenting with a cheaper car this time around. 7 k spend and I hope to get 3 or 4 years out of it. It might not work. But at this stage in my life with kids in creche and working shorter hours than I used to, I don't want to go down for the cost of a new or nearly new car.

I can wait for the right car to come up. I have looked in a lot of garages. It's very difficult to get a car in my budget with low miles. I have to have low miles because I'm going to put a mountain of miles on it. Loads of 6 or 7 year old cars with 100k miles. Very few with 70k miles. Garages tend to not get them. Some garages that have them, have them because they clocked them. They come up on dd f you are prepared to wait a week or 2. Best poace to get a genuine one is in a private sale. I have no problem waiting, but I think I might have found something that I will be able to get my hands on next week.

And sure its an adventure. You learn a lot from it and you meet new people.

Mucky are you afraid of the newer Auris'?

I remember asking my mechanic about hatchbacks one day and he'd rate a Golf at 5, a Focus at 7 and a Corolla at 8 but felt new shape Auris had slipped.

Think you'd have a better chance getting a lower mileage Focus, they'd be seen as more of an older persons car :blushing: so might be traded in with lower mileage.

Your problem really is you are half way in value or no man's land basically between franchised dealers and private sales.

Mucky are you afraid of the newer Auris'?

I remember asking my mechanic about hatchbacks one day and he'd rate a Golf at 5, a Focus at 7 and a Corolla at 8 but felt new shape Auris had slipped.

Think you'd have a better chance getting a lower mileage Focus, they'd be seen as more of an older persons car :blushing: so might be traded in with lower mileage.

Your problem really is you are half way in value or no man's land basically between franchised dealers and private sales.

That's pretty accurate. There isn't much out there in my range. Dealers don't carry many cars under 5 years anymore.

Plenty of non franchised dealers with what I want but I'm sceptical of some of their honesty.

An auris is not in my budget in the years or max mileage. I have found some corollas that are but I'm thinking that I'd prefer a hatchback.

Focus is up there. I am going to look at a 12 focus. I have checked its mot history and it is accurate. Dealer has good reviews and is offering a good warranty. We will see.

Back