Vw TDI 1.6 or 2.0

Dare I say it, a Renault Fluence or Megane.

Grand cars. We have had both. Sound cars for doing up to 200,000km. Then you have to look at spending big money on suspension and steering. On top of that, the 1.5dci engine is not as economical as we are lead to believe. The 2 x 1.5 DCI engines that we have in the house (well, one left last night) do an average of 6 litres per 100km or 47 mpg. The toyota engine does 4.5litres/100km or 64mpg and the Ford 1.6 diesel does much the same as the toyota or even better.

Other options would be a Kia or a hyundai. Both good cars, but its unknown what they will be like with high mileage.

Left of field option, Nissan?

Would you get a Quashqai or the smaller one (Note??) in your budget or is the Diesel engine the same as Renault :scratchhead::angry:?

Buy an older merc with the high tax and you will have comfort and be well able for the big miles .
Good Advice bogman,
We should all take heed of advice from our elders .
Don't mind the running costs, that will help lessen your tax bill .
Think of the looks and comments you will get when you roll into town in a S class .
"That lad has notions"
"Must be a mid life crisis and he's looking for a new woman "
:scratchhead::rolleyes2::fight::scratchhead::rolleyes2::scratchhead::rolleyes2:

Grand cars. We have had both. Sound cars for doing up to 200,000km. Then you have to look at spending big money on suspension and steering. On top of that, the 1.5dci engine is not as economical as we are lead to believe. The 2 x 1.5 DCI engines that we have in the house (well, one left last night) do an average of 6 litres per 100km or 47 mpg. The toyota engine does 4.5litres/100km or 64mpg and the Ford 1.6 diesel does much the same as the toyota or even better.

Other options would be a Kia or a hyundai. Both good cars, but its unknown what they will be like with high mileage.

mate of mine had an i40 which he ran to 350K Kms. with no issues, but loads of reports of gearbox issues on the net,

Buy an older merc with the high tax and you will have comfort and be well able for the big miles .
How about a 5 series BMW E60 09 or 10 good spec in the last of them before the F10 came out. And low km's ones for under 8k with service history. And tax is 280. Unless u go for 535......

How about a 5 series BMW E60 09 or 10 good spec in the last of them before the F10 came out. And low km's ones for under 8k with service history. And tax is 280. Unless u go for 535......
Which ones broke the timing chain. ?
If you could get a low mileage Merc from South Dublin as a lot of them have come on stream with the recovery in the Economy rather than a BMW with white powder in the boot .

If you could get a low mileage Merc from South Dublin as a lot of them have come on stream with the recovery in the Economy rather than a BMW with white powder in the boot .

I know of a 2011 520 that broke the timing chain. I think you have to take out the engine to change the timing chain , hence its a job left on the long finger , with catastrophic results. An 8 speed auto box . Virtually seamless changes.

I know of a 2011 520 that broke the timing chain. I think you have to take out the engine to change the timing chain , hence its a job left on the long finger , with catastrophic results. An 8 speed auto box . Virtually seamless changes.
In the Mini (BMW) the timing chain is changed at 200Km @Profi Farmer ?
Ticking over slow is a major cause of timing belt failure because of the increased torque .
When the first Fiesta with the 1.9 diesel came out an apprentice broke one driving a car for its first service up onto a ramp.

Ticking over slow is a major cause of timing belt failure because of the increased torque .
When the first Fiesta with the 1.9 diesel came out an apprentice broke one driving a car for its first service up onto a ramp.

Never kept one long enough to answer that :scratchhead:

This particular car now has 112 k miles on it afaik , and was bought by the present owner with the engine in boxes , for handy money for what it is . He did all the work himself . Totally uneconomic repair , ifyou had to pay a main dealer , or any garage for that matter.

They are the N47 engine I believe. They came in around 08 or something but were definitely there across 10/11/12/13. BMW garage told me they were replaced from 142 regs onwards.

I know of several around here that have gone.

The F10 5 series came out in March '10 that's the 1 with the timing chain issue. The E60 came out in 03/04 til March '10.

The F10 5 series came out in March '10 that's the 1 with the timing chain issue. The E60 came out in 03/04 til March '10.

Yes but there have been some timing chain issues with the preceding E60 too that had the N47 engine. The N47 engine straddled E60 and F10 models.

They usually don't break the timing chain, the chain stretches and rounds off the sprockets and slips the timing, the chain is at the rear of the engine hence the engine out job.

Mucky, you mentioned the Focus. That reminded me to say make sure it is a well specced one (at least the Edge version) as the lower spec ones have much more uncomfortable seats in my view and that's important with the miles you are doing.

mate of mine had an i40 which he ran to 350K Kms. with no issues, but loads of reports of gearbox issues on the net,
I think a lot of it comes down to 2 things. 1. The driver and 2, how you look after it. I know people who have cars and only service them when they have an nct. A car could go 2 years and do 20k miles without a service.

From my own perspective, my scenic did 330kkm without anything major. But the gearbox was getting very loose. I don't think it would make the 400k. Whereas, my auris before that did 415kkm and is still going. With 400kkm on it, it still drove very solidly. Before that I had a corolla and put 359kkm on it without a sweat. And before that a golf that did 300k miles without any major parts. The only thing that I have going for me is that I am a stickler for a service at 15kkm. Its the besting thing going for a car!

Mucky, you mentioned the Focus. That reminded me to say make sure it is a well specced one (at least the Edge version) as the lower spec ones have much more uncomfortable seats in my view and that's important with the miles you are doing.

Will do. I'm looking at one this morning. It's a mid spec zetec.
Its a bloody minefield. I had a deal done on a fairly high spec 2012 focus but no deposit paid and I went off for half an hour to get a coffee while I did a history check, before I paid the deposit. Very disappointed to find that my 75k miles focus actually had 130k miles on it. I have done history checks on 2 other cars this week as well where the mileage didn't match. And they were all with "dealers". I have €60 spent on history checks, but I think its money well spent.

I'm looking at one this morning with 95k miles. The owner has a full service record - not all from a ford garage, but the non ford receipts are from a garage that I know and I spoke to them last night and they said that the car is genuine. Its more miles than I'd like, but it's a bit less money than ones being sold by dealers, and the history check on it came back clear too. Its an Irish car too whereas a lot being sold are brought from NI or UK.

Have a 09 2.0 Golf 170bhp here for the past 5 years. 290,000 km now. It has been flawless. They need to be driven hard occasionally. 1.6 are more troublesome, EGR's etc.

Will do. I'm looking at one this morning. It's a mid spec zetec.
Its a bloody minefield. I had a deal done on a fairly high spec 2012 focus but no deposit paid and I went off for half an hour to get a coffee while I did a history check, before I paid the deposit. Very disappointed to find that my 75k miles focus actually had 130k miles on it. I have done history checks on 2 other cars this week as well where the mileage didn't match. And they were all with "dealers". I have €60 spent on history checks, but I think its money well spent.

I'm looking at one this morning with 95k miles. The owner has a full service record - not all from a ford garage, but the non ford receipts are from a garage that I know and I spoke to them last night and they said that the car is genuine. Its more miles than I'd like, but it's a bit less money than ones being sold by dealers, and the history check on it came back clear too. Its an Irish car too whereas a lot being sold are brought from NI or UK.
Why not up your budget for something newer and with fewer miles,we ran our last Mondeo to 400k but at the last NCT it needed a ball of money spent on it which we couldn’t justify,so a very brief search land a 132 Mondeo 1.6 at a local main dealer with new NCT and warranty.
I was warned off any Uk import by a friend in the trade who said any uk car he has seen has had a haircut of some description.
Anyway you’ll either have payments or repairs and imo there’s not much between them except peace of mind ...hopefully

Back