water usage in this dry spell

Mf240

Ok so in 2006 we dug a deeper well as what there wasnt able to keep the cows going.

Its only four liners deep but a good spring. Weve since gone from 30 cows to 55 and put in a new palour which takes more water .

Anyway its seems to be struggling and has airlocked twice this week and even when pump is off, the well is not rising as it should.

Whats the best course of action? Dig another similar well and run two pumps or bore a good deep well and use it on its own.

Anybody else finding springs under pressure?

Ok so in 2006 we dug a deeper well as what there wasnt able to keep the cows going.

Its only four liners deep but a good spring. Weve since gone from 30 cows to 55 and put in a new palour which takes more water .

Anyway its seems to be struggling and has airlocked twice this week and even when pump is off, the well is not rising as it should.

Whats the best course of action? Dig another similar well and run two pumps or bore a good deep well and use it on its own.

If you went deeper would it be to no avail ? Any shallow springs near by you could pipe into it ?

Bored well here Willie and no problems touch wood but then cattle wouldn't use half the water of cows. Tbh I think you'd be throwing good money after bad digging another well. Better off stumping up and boring a good deep well. Also I'd make the well man go deeper then when he hits the spring so you'll have a reserve of water over the pump.

If you went deeper would it be to no avail ? Any shallow springs near by you could pipe into it ?

We met blue rock at the time and even with the breaker it was hard to get down and then we were afraid that if we got into a fault in the rock it all the water would dissapear. We put a full lorry load of drainage stone around the liners to add capacity.

If we could get another spring nearby and put in another similar well and join them up with a large sewrage pipe going from one to the other would this work?

how about a chamber to store a head of water during low use :confused:

We met blue rock at the time and even with the breaker it was hard to get down and then we were afraid that if we got into a fault in the rock it all the water would dissapear. We put a full lorry load of drainage stone around the liners to add capacity.

If we could get another spring nearby and put in another similar well and join them up with a large sewrage pipe going from one to the other would this work?
I can't see why it wouldn't work anyway once the new one was more shallow.
How about harvest rain water ? Or buy a massive stainless tank and fill that when you have plenty of water ?

Bored well here Willie and no problems touch wood but then cattle wouldn't use half the water of cows. Tbh I think you'd be throwing good money after bad digging another well. Better off stumping up and boring a good deep well. Also I'd make the well man go deeper then when he hits the spring so you'll have a reserve of water over the pump.

Ya it would be a lifetime job allright. And might just have to do that.

Pump airlocked wed night and by the time we got it going thursday 55 cows had a 90 a 180 and a 250 gallon trough emptied. Will have do something soon as its a pain in the hole.

I can't see why it wouldn't work anyway once the new one was more shallow.
How about harvest rain water ? Or buy a massive stainless tank and fill that when you have plenty of water ?

Ya have seen that done allright where the pump fills its slowly 24 hrs a day and the tank has capacity for peak times.
Might work but i dont think the existing spring would be good enough even if demand was levelled out.

Ya it would be a lifetime job allright. And might just have to do that.

Pump airlocked wed night and by the time we got it going thursday 55 cows had a 90 a 180 and a 250 gallon trough emptied. Will have do something soon as its a pain in the hole.

Bore a well lad will be the best thing you do . Had a shallow well here at home that if a trough overflowed we`d run out of water. Don`t know how the pump took the constant running dry .Now have enough water that the well spend`s the winter over flowing .
There is (or was ) a grant avaible to bore a well if your can`t get connected to a main`s supply . Get in contact with the water department of your county council .

Could you run a sneaky pipe out to [MENTION=4579]jf 850[/MENTION] during the night:whistle::D:D

Lol. Could allright but thats an outfarm beside him. Im nearly 4 miles away where the cows are. But now that you mention it jf bored a well last year. Will ask him about it tommorow.

Im leaning toward boring a well and have it done right.

No river here ozzy unfortunately.

Hate ringing the council and disturbing them those biscuits wont eat themselves you know:lol::lol:

Thanks lads:thumbup:

Know a few like you MF240 and they did exactly what DP says above and that would be my advice too.

We haven't had a major drought yet this year so if you are struggling at the minute I don't think your idea will work and be more like a waste of money so you might as well do it right now.

Lol. Could allright but thats an outfarm beside him. Im nearly 4 miles away where the cows are. But now that you mention it jf bored a well last year. Will ask him about it tommorow.

Hate ringing the council and disturbing them those biscuits wont eat themselves you know:lol::lol:

you will sink your well now and pinch all the water form your neighbour:whistle:
:D

We had a shallow well but it was going dry during the dry spells, stumped up and bored a well here last week, couldnt have been bothered messing around with the shallow well, there always seemed to be a problem with it.

Going to bore one and be done with it. Messing with it again this morning , fcuk this for a game .

Local drilling contractor calling in this evening for a look see.

Could you run a sneaky pipe out to @jf 850 during the night:whistle::D:D

He has 20 cattle next me at minute and a lot of 2nd cut let up. He would want a very long pipe to get to his cows. If you want a drop you are welcome to run a pipe across. Gave years fluting about over water. Had to get a well bored finally last July. went 460 ft:no:, that cost 3300. Pump and cable cost 1800. Had to put a heavier cable due to the depth. No labour cost as two sons did the wiring etc. Very happy with it . You soon forget the cost once you have a decent supply of good water. Ironic the depth considering that if we dug a hole for a slattedtank we could have 2 ft of water in the hole. Got the same diviner to find springs in a wet field before shoring it. He found one spring 3 ft down that would supply a town but its .3 mile away from hse or power. On the other hand I have dug a well on an outfarm 3 liners deep in 05, had to break a hole 2ft from top of it and dig a shore to nearest drain as it was swamping the field. Only a Lister nose pump on it but there were 50 1.5 yr old cattle on it last summer and it never stopped running out the shore. Didn't bother with the council grant for boring the well , and they needn't bother me with water charges down the road.

having problems with our pump, its not long down but its very hard water. Plumber coming after dinner to bleed it and the knock off switch isnt knocking off

having problems with our pump, its not long down but its very hard water. Plumber coming after dinner to bleed it and the knock off switch isnt knocking off

Dirt in the switch so it is not tripping.

Nearly an expert at that here too :whistling:

How does your well preform during the rest of the year mf ?this happened me before to but my well went dry and I ended up digging a new well :crying: but I got them to deepen the other well aswell and hit a good supply of water so now ive it set up in such away that one well kicks in when the others under pressure

He has 20 cattle next me at minute and a lot of 2nd cut let up. He would want a very long pipe to get to his cows. If you want a drop you are welcome to run a pipe across. Gave years fluting about over water. Had to get a well bored finally last July. went 460 ft:no:, that cost 3300. Pump and cable cost 1800. Had to put a heavier cable due to the depth. No labour cost as two sons did the wiring etc. Very happy with it . You soon forget the cost once you have a decent supply of good water. Ironic the depth considering that if we dug a hole for a slattedtank we could have 2 ft of water in the hole. Got the same diviner to find springs in a wet field before shoring it. He found one spring 3 ft down that would supply a town but its .3 mile away from hse or power. On the other hand I have dug a well on an outfarm 3 liners deep in 05, had to break a hole 2ft from top of it and dig a shore to nearest drain as it was swamping the field. Only a Lister nose pump on it but there were 50 1.5 yr old cattle on it last summer and it never stopped running out the shore. Didn't bother with the council grant for boring the well , and they needn't bother me with water charges down the road.

Fair detail ye went to there [MENTION=4579]jf 850[/MENTION] :lol::eek:

How does your well preform during the rest of the year mf ?this happened me before to but my well went dry and I ended up digging a new well :crying: but I got them to deepen the other well aswell and hit a good supply of water so now ive it set up in such away that one well kicks in when the others under pressure

Its ok but if a pipe bursts or a ball valve gets stuck down its pumped dry in a couple of hours and then the pump gets air locked and youve to try keep it going untill it rises.

Hoping to drill tommorrow.

Back