water usage in this dry spell

Any reliable springs nearby? Iron has a bad habit of clogging up pressure cut off switches etc, we'd have to clean the pressure switch here twice a year to keep it right.

Nothing thats nearby. I'll have to get someone in to divine for water.

Both wells given trouble ATM. Between the two of them their struggling to supply the cattle and I've a problem with iron in the water as well. I was talking to a man today and he was telling me that I should put down a precast tank and pump the well water in to it that way id have enough water for the cattle and the iron should settle in the bottom of the tank. Has anyone a similar system?
Work have that system in place not for iron mind but the well cant supply the demand at peak times . Works well enough but a complicated enough system . There are probes in the well for high water level and low water level . Well pump only cuts in once high level is reached and out at low . Theres also then floats fitted in the precast tank for the same purpose to stop it been over filled or ran dry . Works well most of the time but well probes and floats in the tank give trouble . If you could bore a well and have a good constant supply it would be my preference .

Bored a 12" well last Autumn and put a pump in that capable of filling 120 gallons/minute . We pump all the water that we use on the farm through the plate cooler during milking in to an overhead store. The water is then gravity fed to troughs etc during the date through 1.5" pipes.
The gravity works perfect, putting in the pipes big enough, and RXP/Hansen ballcocks is key. I think your farm yard is the highest part of your farm Peter?

Bored a 12" well last Autumn and put a pump in that capable of filling 120 gallons/minute . We pump all the water that we use on the farm through the plate cooler during milking in to an overhead store. The water is then gravity fed to troughs etc during the date through 1.5" pipes.
The gravity works perfect, putting in the pipes big enough, and RXP/Hansen ballcocks is key. I think your farm yard is the highest part of your farm Peter?

How big is your overhead store Bruce? Your right the farmyard is the highest point on the farm. The wells are beside the house.

How big is your overhead store Bruce? Your right the farmyard is the highest point on the farm. The wells are beside the house.

Back