Weed

jf 850

I am wondering can anyone say what this weed is? Notice a number of them growing beside where a ring feeder was for while in April . The bales fed there could have come from 4 different places , but not grown here by me.
It reminds me of a Dahlia plant. Is it poisonous?
20180809_124549.jpg
20180809_124529.jpg

Don't know what it is but loads of it growing here on the hardcore yard.

The reason for my interest in this plant ,

Over the past 2 1/2 weeks I have had 6 bucket fed weanlings go down with what I thought initially to be meningitis.
The vet reckoned lead poisoning, which might have been possible , as there were old machines put in the corner of the field they were in when when the 1st calf got sick , but cattle have often been in the field , with no ill effects.

The calf will be blind , mad as a hatter, a green scour , possibly going to either the left or right . After a short time , they can’t get up. Thankfully , I haven’t lost any , but it takes a lot out of them , but a couple are still blind.

Treatment , anti inflammatory, antibiotic, and vitamin B1. The B1 costs 50 a bottle...of only 50 ml.

It was only today that my wife noticed maybe a dozen of those weeds , in a circle around a ring feeder.

They have been moved to aftergrass for nearly 2 weeks now , and didn’t have any since , until yesterday , when there was another one. Lead poisoning occurs within 24 to 48hours from exposure.

Cerebrorticol Necrosis CCN, has come up on Google.....

Over the past 2 1/2 weeks I have had 6 bucket fed weanlings go down with what I thought initially to be meningitis.
The vet reckoned lead poisoning, which might have been possible , as there were old machines put in the corner of the field they were in when when the 1st calf got sick , but cattle have often been in the field , with no ill effects.

The calf will be blind , mad as a hatter, a green scour , possibly going to either the left or right . After a short time , they can’t get up. Thankfully , I haven’t lost any , but it takes a lot out of them , but a couple are still blind.

Treatment , anti inflammatory, antibiotic, and vitamin B1. The B1 costs 50 a bottle...of only 50 ml.

It was only today that my wife noticed maybe a dozen of those weeds , in a circle around a ring feeder.

They have been moved to aftergrass for nearly 2 weeks now , and didn’t have any since , until yesterday , when there was another one. Lead poisoning occurs within 24 to 48hours from exposure.

That's some dose. Have had three cases of coccidious in two weeks here in 18 month old bullocks and bad as that is :no:

We had CCN in sheep and they had similar symtoms .

I am wondering can anyone say what this weed is? Notice a number of them growing beside where a ring feeder was for while in April . The bales fed there could have come from 4 different places , but not grown here by me.
View attachment 57427 View attachment 57428
I'm not able to get a proper ID so far, but my expert reckons it is a member of the Artemisia family.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_(genus)
Most are bitter and unpalatable to cattle and sheep and tend to grow around bare area like around troughs, some can cause seizures if eaten in large quantities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_absinthium.
I think I saw them in imported wild flower mixes, or something very similar.
Sorry no definite answer only a best guess

Was asking the Brother and he said injection with Vitamin B12 . I remember it happening in dry years. How are they for copper.

Was asking the Brother and he said injection with Vitamin B12 . I remember it happening in dry years. How are they for copper.

I gave them all copper boluses about a month ago. Here is a high Molybdenum area; so copper , selenium and iodine are a problem

Do you mean giving each animal Vitamin B12 as a preventative? It's €40something for a 50 cc bottle .

I gave them all copper boluses about a month ago. Here is a high Molybdenum area; so copper , selenium and iodine are a problem

Do you mean giving each animal Vitamin B12 as a preventative? It's €40something for a 50 cc bottle .

B12 was the cure. Prevention was cobalt but that was for sheep,not calves.

View attachment 57427 View attachment 57428
Saw the same weed in a bit of rough ground today, this spot would never have had a round feeder so whatever it is it must have been lying dormant but got cut up a bit this spring.
IMG_20180815_112231.jpg

Saw the same weed in a bit of rough ground today, this spot would never have had a round feeder so whatever it is it must have been lying dormant but got cut up a bit this spring.View attachment 57653

That it alright , Arthur.

I don't think it's harmful.
I got my local digger man to dig a new gateway into a field . He left the top soil in a heap , to be be put over stuff that has to be drawn to a hollow. I copped that heifers had grazed that weed on Friday morning. They seem okay , and hopefully stay that way.

They have a mineral bucket .I didn't see them eating stones . They may have ingested clay , due to the dry weather, dust , bare patches etc.
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/disease-management/cattle-diseases/polioencephalomalacia/

Good Practice based on Current Knowledge
  • Feed a diet with at least 60% of the dry matter being fresh or conserved green forage
  • Avoid feeds and water with a high sulphur content or introduce these slowly.
  • Be aware of risks associated with grazing bracken
  • Be aware of risks associated with animals starting grazing after a long period without or on a reduced diet (particularly following long and severe periods of rainfall)
  • Do not use ammonium sulphate as an acidity regulator in vitamin/mineral premixes, if these are used on the farm. Administer thiamine HCl (10-15 mg/kg BW iv) or multi-B vitamin preparations i.v. to the affected animal every three to four hours until recovered.
  • If there is no response to treatment, arrange for on-farm casualty slaughter
  • Supplement in-contact animals with thiamine propyl disulphide or thiamine tetrafurfuryldisulphide until normal rumen fermentation is re-established.

https://www.farmhealthonline.com/disease-management/cattle-diseases/polioencephalomalacia/

Good Practice based on Current Knowledge
  • Feed a diet with at least 60% of the dry matter being fresh or conserved green forage
  • Avoid feeds and water with a high sulphur content or introduce these slowly.
  • Be aware of risks associated with grazing bracken
  • Be aware of risks associated with animals starting grazing after a long period without or on a reduced diet (particularly following long and severe periods of rainfall)
  • Do not use ammonium sulphate as an acidity regulator in vitamin/mineral premixes, if these are used on the farm. Administer thiamine HCl (10-15 mg/kg BW iv) or multi-B vitamin preparations i.v. to the affected animal every three to four hours until recovered.
  • If there is no response to treatment, arrange for on-farm casualty slaughter
  • Supplement in-contact animals with thiamine propyl disulphide or thiamine tetrafurfuryldisulphide until normal rumen fermentation is re-established.
What is either Thiamine Propyl Disulphide or thiamine tetrafurfuryldisulpide commonly known as ?

Theould lad in the local Glanbia would look at you asking for either

Back