Welger RP245 xtracut baler short grass problem

JOHNNY BOY

Ya don't half contradict yourself, you were giving out about the mchale a few weeks ago saying it was a disaster in short wet grass now your saying you'd have no fear of a belt baler directly under a comment saying there no good in short wet grass by a man that has experience of one with a post a lot more constructive than " there a animal"
Without trying to start up the old argument here of Welger v Mc Hale here I have a question for alad I know.
He has run jd balrrs and mc hale balers until this year he bought a new welger baler. He findsit a good baler in general unless he is in short grass. Wet or dry he has an awful job to get it to make a good bale with it. He has even gone to the point of using the 27ft krone rake in any light crops he's bailing. The Welger men have been out two or three times since the first days of June and the tensioner is turned up fully on the baler.
He is very concerned about how he's going to manage come second cut as no matter what he does he cant seem to make as good a bale in short grass. Said I'd ask here for him as a few of yee here have fresh Welger balers.
Sorry if a bit of topic.

Without trying to start up the old argument here of Welger v Mc Hale here I have a question for alad I know.
He has run jd balrrs and mc hale balers until this year he bought a new welger baler. He findsit a good baler in general unless he is in short grass. Wet or dry he has an awful job to get it to make a good bale with it. He has even gone to the point of using the 27ft krone rake in any light crops he's bailing. The Welger men have been out two or three times since the first days of June and the tensioner is turned up fully on the baler.
He is very concerned about how he's going to manage come second cut as no matter what he does he cant seem to make as good a bale in short grass. Said I'd ask here for him as a few of yee here have fresh Welger balers.
Sorry if a bit of topic.

as in it lacking in density or formation ?

Sorry if a bit of topic.

Is it a Jubliee, Xtracut or Profi and how many knives is he chopping with?

Ya don't half contradict yourself, you were giving out about the mchale a few weeks ago saying it was a disaster in short wet grass now your saying you'd have no fear of a belt baler directly under a comment saying there no good in short wet grass by a man that has experience of one with a post a lot more constructive than " there a animal"
I dont tink Tippcon ever had a belt baler I might be wrong we have a belt baler and never had an issue with it in short wet grass but maybe that's an exception.
A mchale is a balls because the grass doesn't go as far as the chamber before the problem starts the belt baler would be giving bother with the belts If it was to give any.
I dont really see the point to your post?

Sorry if a bit of topic.
@Danielk had the same problem last year I tink

Formation mostly, some of the bales come out looking ok but are softish. Driven by a jd 6920s and he has had it on her knees packing.
would it be basically like grass cuttings going into the baler ?? baled a few fields like that before. if its real short i drop the knives and bale away. also what might help is to weave over and back the sward to ensure the center of the bale is full. if the grass is light the center of the sward is usually empty

If you go into the diagnostics on the controller and press the top right button 3 times I tink it will show you what way the back door sensors are set.
They should both be the same but one might be out I tink it's 1.7volts empty and 2.7 at density 10? I can't rightly remember
I'd assume the dealer has checked it tho

If you go into the diagnostics on the controller and press the top right button 3 times I tink it will show you what way the back door sensors are set.
They should both be the same but one might be out I tink it's 1.7volts empty and 2.7 at density 10? I can't rightly remember
I'd assume the dealer has checked it tho
Cheers will pass that onto him jd. :Thumbp2:

There well packed you make out just lopsided?
Has had a few come out nearly egg shaped and mostly there just like a badly packed bale though. He came back to one customer to dk a second bit of first cut for him and was horrified to see the first lot done. They didn't even look the same height and some had gone vey bellyish he said. Before he leaves anywhere now if he sees anybales not right he's taking a picture off them for the dealer then cutting the net of rolling them out and rebailing them.:scared:

Even like that in say a 5 to 6 bale to the acre young grass crop. He said he's tried weaving and seems to get better performance with the rake but still not just right. Its only in shortish grass he has this problem. Has tried bailing very fast and very slow.
Has no problem in longer grasses. He's tried all ways with the knives.
noticed that with our one the odd time but not much. our one has the basic hand set so im of no help to you that way

Has had a few come out nearly egg shaped and mostly there just like a badly packed bale though. He came back to one customer to dk a second bit of first cut for him and was horrified to see the first lot done. They didn't even look the same height and some had gone vey bellyish he said. Before he leaves anywhere now if he sees anybales not right he's taking a picture off them for the dealer then cutting the net of rolling them out and rebailing them.:scared:

Quarter of an hour would make up a plate to pressure test the back door himself too.
You basically put a jack with a pressure gauge on the back door and against the frame of the baler. Keep pumping it up to 150 that should fill the density bars on the gauge to 10.
Has he tried setting the net to manual and driving as far as he can?

Quarter of an hour would make up a plate to pressure test the back door himself too.
You basically put a jack with a pressure gauge on the back door and against the frame of the baler. Keep pumping it up to 150 that should fill the density bars on the gauge to 10.
Has he tried setting the net to manual and driving as far as he can?
I'm not really sure bar what he's told me as i haven't been near the baler. I just know he's worried about second cut and not best suited either. I do know she's on a jd 6920s and he has it on her knees packing in short grass he reckons, as in packing it till the tractor is undera lot of pressure.

I'm not really sure bar what he's told me as i haven't been near the baler. I just know he's worried about second cut and not best suited either. I do know she's on a jd 6920s and he has it on her knees packing in short grass he reckons, as in packing it till the tractor is undera lot of pressure.
Ah I know sure can't you chat to him and come back with what info he has.
Out of curiosity are the dealers being helpful or is it a case of the computer says no

Ah I know sure can't you chat to him and come back with what info he has.
Out of curiosity are the dealers being helpful or is it a case of the computer says no
They have been out twice anyways as far as i know but it's only really causing the problem in shortish grass. Never really seems to have that when they arrive of course hence the pictures he takes of any bales he has to role out and re bale.

They have been out twice anyways as far as i know but it's only really causing the problem in shortish grass. Never really seems to have that when they arrive of course hence the pictures he takes of any bales he has to role out and re bale.

Sounds like an odd one alright. If the tractor is on it's knees then there's nothing wrong with the door sensor, that would only cause a variation in density from bale to bale. Could be any number of problems, it would be hard to know without seeing the baler in action, and if he has had several balers previously he probably has as good an idea as any of us. What is he looking for from the dealer? Does he want the baler rectified, replaced, or his money back?

Sounds like an odd one alright. If the tractor is on it's knees then there's nothing wrong with the door sensor, that would only cause a variation in density from bale to bale. Could be any number of problems, it would be hard to know without seeing the baler in action, and if he has had several balers previously he probably has as good an idea as any of us. What is he looking for from the dealer? Does he want the baler rectified, replaced, or his money back?
Rectified or repaced id presume. He only went welger this time as no one wanted to know about trading a mc hale in at 3 years old with the biggest part of 50k bales done, plus he said he got a 3 year parts and labour warranty with the welger.

Is it the dealer coming out to it or a lely mechanic . It's an odd one really . Have a 245 here and baling for zero grazing everyday at the moment and no issues with real short wet grass in 10ft rows .

Is it the dealer coming out to it or a lely mechanic . It's an odd one really . Have a 245 here and baling for zero grazing everyday at the moment and no issues with real short wet grass in 10ft rows .
The dealer is both.
How do you find it for actually picking the grass, does it not kinda role in front of you.

In general the rake makes a fairly good row if you have a decent driver on it. He also has a nine foot pottinger mower wich leaves a lovely wide swarth.
Is the rake man taking full width of the rake?if not you will end up with eggs

Back