Welger RP245 xtracut baler short grass problem

We have a new xtracut and it is putting out blocks of bales in short grass , they are sagging a good bit after a day but it's dairymans grass , short and green . It is raked in 30fts and we can adjust the width hydraulically so I leave it as wide as I can for the pickup and drop the crop roller , i also drop the knives or maybe leave up 8 as its short anyway , also run it at full density in that grass .I don't think any baler would make a better bale in the a lot of the grass I bale . There should be no difference in the way a jubilee/xtracut or profi make a bale as they all have the same chamber / pickup and locking mechanism, the rotors are different but that shouldn't make much difference in bale density .

We have a new xtracut and it is putting out blocks of bales in short grass , they are sagging a good bit after a day but it's dairymans grass , short and green . It is raked in 30fts and we can adjust the width hydraulically so I leave it as wide as I can for the pickup and drop the crop roller , i also drop the knives or maybe leave up 8 as its short anyway , also run it at full density in that grass .I don't think any baler would make a better bale in the a lot of the grass I bale . There should be no difference in the way a jubilee/xtracut or profi make a bale as they all have the same chamber / pickup and locking mechanism, the rotors are different but that shouldn't make much difference in bale density .

I remember baling green wet stuff last year.
A lad landed on with a 100 hp tractor and loader.
The back end lifted off the ground.
He went away and put a weight on and then it wouldn't lift the bale.
The bale that comes out of them is something else

Try baling directly out of the swarth without raking.
I know it will be slower, though if the bales are better that's far more important.

A three year parts and labour warranty is a good deal to get, just a bit of advice it won't be got as handy the next time if it's being posted about on a public forum imo.
Maybe I'm wrong and there is a three year warranty available on all new lely balers??

[QUO"ithastopay, post: 464672, member: 3048"]Try baling directly out of the swarth without raking.
I know it will be slower, though if the bales are better that's far more important.

A three year parts and labour warranty is a good deal to get, just a bit of advice it won't be got as handy the next time if it's being posted about on a public forum imo.
Maybe I'm wrong and there is a three year warranty available on all new lely balers??[/QUOTE

Maybe I'm wrong and there is a three year warranty available on all new lely balers??

Yea he's tried to bale straight from the mowers swarths but to no great avail in short light crops. It does make some rock solid bales in longer grass or heavier crops. Just seemed a strange one how its reacting to short grass. Only mentioned the guarantee in relation to Tippcon questions of what he wants and how he's moved brands. Not sure but i think that guarantee is available to all, maybe for a small fee but still.

yeha we have a 3 year warranty.. they just have to service the baler at the end of each year

No nothing about a Welger but someone already mentioned baling in manual mode and driving on until the pressure gauge is well up the bringing in the net manually.
That's what I sometimes have to do in short paddocks

I don't know, in theory the Xtracut should be better than the Jubilee, and the Profi better than the Xtracut, you would imagine the baler with the most feed fingers in the rotor would make the most even bale. Unless the man with the problem has put his McHale baling the same stuff in the same field at the same time I wouldn't think it was a problem with the baler, as others have said it's very hard to make a perfect bale in that kind of grass.

Is it possible to have a pic of a bad bale? @JOHNNY BOY
If the tractor is on it's knee's there can't be much wrong with the density.
Is the net going on properly? net brake working? net slipping once the bale has come out? Even too much density almost can make it worse in short grass.

Is it possible to have a pic of a bad bale? @JOHNNY BOY
If the tractor is on it's knee's there can't be much wrong with the density.
Is the net going on properly? net brake working? net slipping once the bale has come out? Even too much density almost can make it worse in short grass.
Will see if I can get a picture of him. Its not so much lopsided as just not packed out around the edges, some eggshaped ones to just saggie bales. You would nearly say the baler isn't been pushed or the density set to low but all these have been checked and it's been driven. Maybe its the density set so high.

Will see if I can get a picture of him. Its not so much lopsided as just not packed out around the edges, some eggshaped ones to just saggie bales. You would nearly say the baler isn't been pushed or the density set to low but all these have been checked and it's been driven. Maybe its the density set so high.
Swath is too narrow

I dunno

I know when i have a biggish crop i only need to set the rake out about 3-4inches each side to get a good bale but if the grass is short and light i need to push the rake near right out

20160623_154830.jpg thought i had more pics of the rows and bales
Was 10 bales acre of haylage
All bales a tidy shape
I dont like ro rake much in front of the baler as i can see what shape they come out then adjust the rake accordingly

View attachment 37592 thought i had more pics of the rows and bales
Was 10 bales acre of haylage
All bales a tidy shape
I dont like ro rake much in front of the baler as i can see what shape they come out then adjust the rake accordingly
Were not talking about crops near as heavy as thar @headcase. Theres no problems bailing that sort of stuff it's just the shorter younger grass, like 5 or 6 bales to the acre.

Mind saying that 10 bales to the acre is light to some of you lot over the pond there:lol:
Ah ha but wich is the wisest of them all 5 to 6 bales of quality silage or 10 to 15 bales of chewing gum to the acre :whistle::whistle:
Of course been fed to the same cattle with a specific desired effect i.e finishing or maintaing suckler cows waiting to calf ????

Back