What are you up to in the workshop?

Will do that tommorow.
Father is thinking we might try it on the 6620 tommorow and see if it miss behaves there. Then we at least know if its the tractor or wagon to blame.

Will do that tommorow.
Father is thinking we might try it on the 6620 tommorow and see if it miss behaves there. Then we at least know if its the tractor or wagon to blame.
Have you got a voltmeter you could tee into the power supply?

Screenshot_20171212-160425.png

Yeah... it was time to replace them!
Pit face had been getting worse and worse but you don't realise how worn things are over time. Had to put one new tine on last week and had a moment of realisation!! Rest of the set was ordered that afternoon!!

Tines are the same make as original SMH I think. But new tines had much smaller heads. Conus 2 on the ends were perfect match. But the conus 1's were smaller. Didn't appear to be any other options. Tines themselves were the same thickness and seemed to fit well enough once on.
Have standards changed or just them scrimping?

Anyone else seen a conus 1.5??!!! Ha!

View attachment 50109

Yeah... it was time to replace them!
Pit face had been getting worse and worse but you don't realise how worn things are over time. Had to put one new tine on last week and had a moment of realisation!! Rest of the set was ordered that afternoon!!

Tines are the same make as original SMH I think. But new tines had much smaller heads. Conus 2 on the ends were perfect match. But the conus 1's were smaller. Didn't appear to be any other options. Tines themselves were the same thickness and seemed to fit well enough once on.
Have standards changed or just them scrimping?

Anyone else seen a conus 1.5??!!! Ha!
I put a new tine base in my shear grab and put 2 extra tines in as it was dropping a bit too much stuff, they needed a different bush to the originals, mine are all cranked. looking at your worn ones it would be impossible to leave a tidy face and probably the tines trying to come up sooner than the blade go down.

Reactions: AYF
I put a new tine base in my shear grab and put 2 extra tines in as it was dropping a bit too much stuff, they needed a different bush to the originals, mine are all cranked. looking at your worn ones it would be impossible to leave a tidy face and probably the tines trying to come up sooner than the blade go down.

Hopefully these will do in the bushes that are there. They've tightened up fine anyway.

Were likely to trade the grab up to a bigger one next year. So they will do till then.

It wasn't cutting too bad till the middle of last years pit. So time didn't allow a change till now!

i bought a s/h redrock shear grab this year and its doing a poor job to be honest, not in the same league as my mckenna, tines are the same length as 2 new ones i put into it and the blades are razor sharp but it still doesn,t slice as well as the mckenna ( i,ve tried them side by side so its not a different pit) any suggestions ?

i bought a s/h redrock shear grab this year and its doing a poor job to be honest, not in the same league as my mckenna, tines are the same length as 2 new ones i put into it and the blades are razor sharp but it still doesn,t slice as well as the mckenna ( i,ve tried them side by side so its not a different pit) any suggestions ?

I bought a SH Parmiter off a neighbor 7 years ago , as he had bought a new McHale. He said the Parmiter wouldn't cut anymore. I cut out the straight cutting edge , and put in sections. It still wouldn't cut. :angry:. Opened the rams , and one seal was damaged , so replaced all the seals. Cuts better than yer mans McHale now, Several have commented on the tidy face its leaving.:Thumbp2:
One of the heavy side tines was loose finishing up last winter. I tried tightening it lately but no go. would need heat. got left , and it broke yesterday. I put a new tine in today , but it really needs a new bushing, from wearing when left loose. Would a hole saw take it out tidy , or just get someone to gas it out ?

I bought a SH Parmiter off a neighbor 7 years ago , as he had bought a new McHale. He said the Parmiter wouldn't cut anymore. I cut out the straight cutting edge , and put in sections. It still wouldn't cut. :angry:. Opened the rams , and one seal was damaged , so replaced all the seals. Cuts better than yer mans McHale now, Several have commented on the tidy face its leaving.:Thumbp2:
One of the heavy side tines was loose finishing up last winter. I tried tightening it lately but no go. would need heat. got left , and it broke yesterday. I put a new tine in today , but it really needs a new bushing, from wearing when left loose. Would a hole saw take it out tidy , or just get someone to gas it out ?

Ye the seals in the rams are likely the problem. I put in a new set into my rossmore this year and it's doing a great job now. I'd try the whole saw before the gas anyway.

No need for any special tools, just cut it off flush with a grinder and punch out the bushing with a sledge and punch.

I saw a lad on YouTube raving about square steel stakes for concrete form pegs.

Having watched a few of his videos they do look mighty useful. In the states they are something you could buy in a builders providers but I've never seen them before over here.

Two lengths of 20mm bar will give me 16 stakes, eight holes in each one.

I have a job or two coming up, they don't need forms but will need props so decided to knock out a set.

Also tweaking some 6inch gate hangers to fit around 6inch pipe. (6.5 inch outside)

Going to be hanging a 16 foot heavy gibney gate off it, I think filling the pipe with concrete might be no harm. It's a fine piece of pipe, but a decent lump of a gate too.

Attachments

• DSC_0899-01.jpeg
    DSC_0899-01.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 78
Essential craftsman I take it. Have watched a lot of his vids lately . One of the better YouTube channels .

Having watched a few of his videos they do look mighty useful. In the states they are something you could buy in a builders providers but I've never seen them before over here.

I have a job or two coming up, they don't need forms but will need props so decided to knock out a set.

Also tweaking some 6inch gate hangers to fit around 6inch pipe. (6.5 inch outside)

Going to be hanging a 16 foot heavy gibney gate off it, I think filling the pipe with concrete might be no harm. It's a fine piece of pipe, but a decent lump of a gate too.

The very man, to be honest even if you weren't really into what he's doing you could nearly listen to him all day anyway, he's a natural at it

They're solid bar as opposed to box, but basically they're pegs for holding concrete forms/models

Here's an example of him using them to their best effect.

They look a lot easier to set accurately than 2*2 timber.

I doubt I'll make more than what I've done today, I think just having them for the initial setup would be enough given I'm not exactly at concrete every day

They're solid bar as opposed to box, but basically they're pegs for holding concrete forms/models

Here's an example of him using them to their best effect.

They look a lot easier to set accurately than 2*2 timber.

I doubt I'll make more than what I've done today, I think just having them for the initial setup would be enough given I'm not exactly at concrete every day
Bloody good job that! Very useful!

But is it just me or do they not look strong enough to hold a foot of concrete back!?

Might just be me. We are always inclined to over engineer our forms. And never poured over 6 inch so....

Normal practice around here would be 15-18 inch lengths of rebar and staples, no drilling required.

Back