What are you up to in the workshop?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BasilSeal, Dec 7, 2009.

1. whichwire

whichwire Well-Known Member

in spots, theres a timber floor underneath but know the checker plate will start peeling soon, its in use most days on delieverys or up and down to galvanisers...

2. Ó hÉidin

Ó hÉidin Well-Known Member

who do you use to galvanise?

i've just made 15 sheep hurdles that would benefit from being done, whats the going rate??

3. snowcat

snowcat Well-Known Member

wish I had filled the yard this time last year, but If i had of course steel would have drooped:no:

decided about 15 years ago Id never be rich farming and about 10 that I never get rich being a fabricator I'm off to be a banker;)

4. whichwire

Know the feeling about trying to earn living never mind getting rich as a fabricator :laugh:

We get our stuff dipped in Sperrin Galvanisers in Tynagh, Co Galway (its handy only about 10 miles away) RSJ, beams etc for about €500/Tonne, hollow section, brackets etc €600/Tonne.

There owned by Galco tho so expect prices would be same in Dublin/Waterford.

Also use Shannonside Galvanising down in Limerick, good efficent and friendly operation and offer one day turnaround but at €1000/tonne. Handy if your under a bit of pressure for a few small items. They also have an inhouse shot blasting service if your dipping something that was previously painted. They can recycle the shot so are fairly competitive.

5. Ó hÉidin

thats where we were going, they aren't much more from 10 miles from us either, but was getting it hard to get exact prices!!

6. whichwire

it can be hard to estimate because its all based on weight. The price is based on weighing the galvansied item. They've got a complicated system of a base price and then a surcharge for the zinc that goes up and down as the global price changes but the ones I quoted I confirmed with them last week...

I have a spreadsheet with all the weights/m of different steel sections that I use and then you add 5% to that weight to estimate the galv weight.

but the simple thing is that galvanised stuff is going to be there a lot longer (and less sums) :thumbup1:

7. Ó hÉidin

thats the logic. but around here, if it doesn't get done now, it won't at all.

where are you based?

8. whichwire

based in Loughrea...

9. Ó hÉidin

was in it today. we are further east on the N6, first village!

10. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

Where abouts in Kilkenny did you go with her? Not far from the border myself.

Zetor 6718 in the background?

11. Mike

Mike Member

Galvanising is costly, but well worth it I suppose. It doesnt take a whole lot of steel to make up a ton!

12. whichwire

Pickups new home is in Kilmaganny, big VW man there with lots of buses and campers!

yep the zetor is my dads resto baby, finished it there last year, not many of them being entered in the competitions :lol:

13. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

I know the village alright. Down that way quite a bit at the moment.

I have heard of that guy also. (Have a camper fan sitting behind me in work!).

14. snowcat

snowcat Well-Known Member

around here, Flatt prices are the norm including your environ tax, last lot I had done was around the £1 per KG mark, sure thats gone up by now..... and then of course the fortune they might charge you to crudely gas a vent hole in if they don't think yours is sufficient:sneaky2:

also the other major problem is if the tank doesn't warp everything then the numb nuts who work there will, or lose stuff....

15. whichwire

know the feeling, there are some real idots out there in charge of forklifts...I find the only way is to have to try to get to know a few of them personally so that your stuff might actually stand out from the crowd. Used to let them pick up the stuff from the yard but now make a point of heading in myself. They;ll tell ya it happened in the tank but 9 times outta 10 its some idiot that drove into the thing you spend an age getting nice and square, mop polishing welds n all.... nope I have no beef with the galvanisers :lol:

16. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Well-Known Member

Got a set of gates done last week, was a bit worried as they have been sitting outside since Sept & the rust was heavy but turned out ok :thumbup1:....wouldn't have minded filling the trailer up while I was there :whistling:.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  17. Mike

Mike Member

That is one tidy farmyard :yes:

18. James

James Well-Known Member

smart looking job there :thumbup1:

19. tinman

tinman Very Senior Member

you use the same man as i do then so.;)

20. Jay Dee

Thanks James.

It's only got tidy lately Mike, since the concrete went down last year....was just looking through them photos the other night &
    my farther was just saying that in every 1 the yard is either full of broken concrete or shyte :lol::lol:.

21. Jay Dee

It's only lately I've got anything done, can be up there in 20 mins in the cvx.

22. tinman

tinman Very Senior Member

it takes me a tad longer:lol:, but mostly i get them to collect, its free:thumbup1:

23. whichwire

welding clamp

got sick of those crocodile style earth clamps, we all used a vice grips but found this in a local eng supply place, just the thing and half the price of the big screw on clamp!

Attached Files:

24. recycled

recycled Moderator

i quite often get fed up with the crap earth clamps and just weld it to the steel :yes:

25. Gander

Gander Well-Known Member

Been there done that:yes:, set the bloody shed on fire yesterday:no:, rotten quickcut with a leaky tank. Needless to say, the fire extinguishers are empty, and the quickcut is lying outside with a pile of rubbish.

It really wasn't going to hang about burning either:scared: