What are you up to in the workshop?

What tricks do lads have for popping tyres back onto rims.
I dont like petrol i normally use the gas and then egnite it but if your too severe with it id say your burst the tyre!!

DSC_0193.JPG

I dont like petrol i normally use the gas and then egnite it but if your too severe with it id say your burst the tyre!!

View attachment 52284
Tie a cargo strap around the outside of the tyre but be careful when releasing the strap as there can be some kick out of it . I have used the road compressor while inflating with the valve out .
https://www.google.ie/search?q=air+...AUICigB&biw=1350&bih=569#imgrc=duFsKBVIOQk3iM:

Bogmans link above is the best method but the ratchet strap does work but as he said mind your finger`s releasing it . Petrol has been the only method of getting the tyres to set on the rims of the vacumn tank and that`s after multiply attempts with an air blaster ( been done by the proffesionals) . Have you tried kicking the tyre what i mean is jack the tyre up and have air going in to the tyre . And a good slap from the sole of your boot on the round of the tyre might get it to seal enough fro the air to do the rest . As odd as it sound`s thats what i do with the tyres on the combi if / when it comes off the rim and it`s never failed to work yet .( It`s currently in the shed with 3 flat tyres so will be testing this method again shortly :no: )

View attachment 52284

Last edited:
Tie a cargo strap around the outside of the tyre but be careful when releasing the strap as there can be some kick out of it . I have used the road compressor while inflating with the valve out .
https://www.google.ie/search?q=air+...AUICigB&biw=1350&bih=569#imgrc=duFsKBVIOQk3iM:

Bogmans link above is the best method but the ratchet strap does work but as he said mind your finger`s releasing it . Petrol has been the only method of getting the tyres to set on the rims of the vacumn tank and that`s after multiply attempts with an air blaster ( been done by the proffesionals) . Have you tried kicking the tyre what i mean is jack the tyre up and have air going in to the tyre . And a good slap from the sole of your boot on the round of the tyre might get it to seal enough fro the air to do the rest . As odd as it sound`s thats what i do with the tyres on the combi if / when it comes off the rim and it`s never failed to work yet .( It`s currently in the shed with 3 flat tyres so will be testing this method again shortly :no: )

The strap doesnt always work some are a right pain i have used a bike tube before around the rim.
Youd seal the odd one by leaning against it or kicking it as you say i suppose a bazooka is the right tool aright

View attachment 52284
Make your own bead blaster scrap leftovers, I made mine from a 30 litre air tank from a lorry, a 2 ft long steel 2" thick pipe with one end hammered nearly flat, a 2" gate valve for releasing the pressure and a tyre valve suitable for tubeless tyres.
Drill or burn 2" hole in middle of tank, i.e. halfway up the length of it and weld 2 ft long pipe to it. ( fit gate valve to pipe and flatten end of pipe leaving a quarter inch gap on end first). Get a drill bit exactly the same size as the hole in a car rim where the valve goes and drill a hole in the end of air tank. Somewhere on the tank will be a bung or plug screwed into it, remove this. Thread a length of thin wire through a new tubeless valve and feed the wire through the bung and out through the new hole. Pull valve firmly in circular motions to locate it properly on the sleeve. Remove wire and replace plug. Lastly weld a suitable handle onto tank for holding it during use. You now should have a good homemade bead blaster. I can post a photo of the one I have if anyone wants to see how to build one. I inflate to around 100 psi, hold the flattened end against the gap between wheel and tyre and with a swift flick release the gate valve lever.
Only do this if you feel competent with blowing a tyre and possibly yourself up.
MF30

Had to hold a quad bike trailer wheel whilst a lad bead blasted it. Still have a twitch from it!! Ha

Saw lads wrapping a stiff rope round a harvester tire. Then stuck a bale spike between the rope and tyre and began twisting.
Same idea as the strap. But got a serious squeeze going. But be even more careful when releasing the bar!

Make your own bead blaster scrap leftovers, I made mine from a 30 litre air tank from a lorry, a 2 ft long steel 2" thick pipe with one end hammered nearly flat, a 2" gate valve for releasing the pressure and a tyre valve suitable for tubeless tyres.
Drill or burn 2" hole in middle of tank, i.e. halfway up the length of it and weld 2 ft long pipe to it. ( fit gate valve to pipe and flatten end of pipe leaving a quarter inch gap on end first). Get a drill bit exactly the same size as the hole in a car rim where the valve goes and drill a hole in the end of air tank. Somewhere on the tank will be a bung or plug screwed into it, remove this. Thread a length of thin wire through a new tubeless valve and feed the wire through the bung and out through the new hole. Pull valve firmly in circular motions to locate it properly on the sleeve. Remove wire and replace plug. Lastly weld a suitable handle onto tank for holding it during use. You now should have a good homemade bead blaster. I can post a photo of the one I have if anyone wants to see how to build one. I inflate to around 100 psi, hold the flattened end against the gap between wheel and tyre and with a swift flick release the gate valve lever.
Only do this if you feel competent with blowing a tyre and possibly yourself up.
MF30
I think MacGyver now lives in Wexford!!!!

I saw a lad trying the petrol trick but he wasn't quick enough with the match, damn near set fire to a new 420/70-38, personally I prefer to leave tyre fitting and associated stuff to the trade.
I only tried the petrol trick once and i thought there was way too much scope for an accident.
I think they use lighter fuel too

never tried petrol but have used gas on some smaller tyres. Petrol is very explosive.

I've a gas lamp where the gas and ignitor are controlled seperately. point it in for a second or two (count) and ignite. if it doesnt work go another second or two and try again. you're not spilling petrol about the place and can be very measured in your approach.

Only downside is you have to be right in there, but lets be honest if we're looking at safe tyre attachment methods and fire, well we're f*cked anyway.

Are tubeless valves put in from the inside?

If they can be put from the outside then stick and old tube in it. Then deflate the tube and leave it in there.

bunch of feckin:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::rolleyes2:

get the ratchet strap around the middle and if theres still a gap squeeze a tube of grease in

View attachment 52284

I did use propane then a freind near killed himself using propane so I just use the road compressor now,never missed yet :Thumbp2:

Sometimes need to take the valve out to get good flow but never misses.

The molten steel idea for the front weight has fairly swiftly been ruled out, I was told (not by the foundry) that it costs €1/kg so a 1000kg weight would become very expensive. Time to go looking for punchings.

The molten steel idea for the front weight has fairly swiftly been ruled out, I was told (not by the foundry) that it costs €1/kg so a 1000kg weight would become very expensive. Time to go looking for punchings.
The weight here is filled with punching and weights over a tonne. Its for sale too...

Back