What are you up to in the workshop?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BasilSeal, Dec 7, 2009.

1. c4l

c4l Well-Known Member

just done my first year in mechanical engineering. its an alright course. kind of found it boring at times we had a workshop and welding modules which made up for it. i like the workshop stuff but god awful at it. guess i'll get better with experience

gone likes this.
  2. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

Where you doing that?

3. c4l

c4l Well-Known Member

cit

4. massey 6480

massey 6480 Well-Known Member

Its exactly where the bearing sits . The drilled hole is used for the grub screw on the bearing to set the distance it sits out past the bearing .
    Supposed to be new .

It looks like someone went at it with a flap disc on a grinder when you look at it from another angle . The overall lenght of that shaft is 19" the other side isnt as bad but terrible at the same time . Shaft isnt even running straight between the 2 bearings and a fine wobble on the pto when its attached .

5. fraserb

fraserb Well-Known Member

6. MF30

MF30 Well-Known Member

If the shaft isn't running straight or is wobbling I'd be afraid it'll let go at speed when a good load is applied. It's really not acceptable to sell a part like that, as long as it doesn't damage another part of the drivetrain or tractor you'll be lucky.

bagenal likes this.
  7. Carrigogunnell

Carrigogunnell Well-Known Member

Ye surely got onto them about this

8. fraserb

fraserb Well-Known Member

9. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

Had a little project on the go last week.
    Bit of an experiment really. We have a lamb weigher with a digital conversion kit. But wasn't working as we wanted so decided to take the plunge and buy proper load bars.
    We like our current crate but needs modifying to really suit being able to run ewes and lambs through it, some of the bigger ewes can't fit through at the moment, and needed a new frame to mount the load bars properly. So new frame was first off. Amd use the current 'crate' bit till I get time to build a new version of it.
    We especially like the concentina gates front and back, can stop a lamb easilly, and no need for the gate to have toom to slide like a slider, no other manufacturers seem to offer one like it, and the manufacturer of this one had no intrest in making one for us!
    One regeret is the use of 3mm thick 25mm box. Steel stockists had nothing else so went with it... and it suits my welding abilitys!! Has wound up a tad heavy!

Currently 'between workshops' so went with an old kitchen table and sheet steel for a workbench!!
    Used an old sash clamp to square things out a bit. Worked well!
    By now it also has a wheel kit and transport handles!
    Thinking that phase two could be a re make of it in thinner steel (get a mate with a mig for that job!)
    Screenshot_20190612-193740_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190612-193821_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190612-193801_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190612-193821_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190612-193834_Gallery.jpg

JohnBoy, Mf 7715, Danube and 14 others like this.
  10. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

Was stripping off one link arm on the 6620 this morning. Must say well done for designing the castings so that the ends of the pins are nice and accesible..... Not!