What are you up to in the workshop?

Jd 3350 ,I have it 16 years blowing up through the rad/ expansion tank. Tried the simple stuff no joy ,took off the head, fairly obvious gasket failure.
Tractor was running fine, valves and valve seats look ok ,don't think it was overheating.
Is skimming the head compulsory or would a good cleaning and new gaskets suffice.
Keeping the tractor but workload would be around 300hrs/year .
20200612_094441.jpg 20200612_094506.jpg 20200612_122020.jpg

Jd 3350 ,I have it 16 years blowing up through the rad/ expansion tank. Tried the simple stuff no joy ,took off the head, fairly obvious gasket failure.
Tractor was running fine, valves and valve seats look ok ,don't think it was overheating.
Is skimming the head compulsory or would a good cleaning and new gaskets suffice.
Keeping the tractor but workload would be around 300hrs/year .
View attachment 79213 View attachment 79214 View attachment 79215
Head for pj in Lanesboro,skimming it wont put out the light and you will be guaranteed it will be right.

Ahh look lads, it's not the skimming itself that I'm avoiding ,I've been through the process too many times over the years.
But anytime I left a head in for skimming , it ended up with reconditioning of injectors and re-grinding of valves and valve seats injector nozzles etc-etc.
And if I'm honest, I can't say that I noticed much improvement.

There was an item in the workshop section of classic tractor this month about repetitive head gasket failure on a 50 series Deere. The problem was they were reusing the head bolts when they're supposed to be changed each time the head is off.

is a rocker beam axle the same thing as a bogey axle?

Reading a brochure stating that x type of trailer comes on rocker beam axles as opposed full beam axles with leaf springs...

Oil from the exhaust, best case scenario the engine needs a good hard workout, next the valve stem seals have gone hard, after that a broken piston oil control ring on one or more pistons...

Oil from the exhaust, best case scenario the engine needs a good hard workout, next the valve stem seals have gone hard, after that a broken piston oil control ring on one or more pistons...

I do remember it happening before and it cleared away after a bit of roadwork. It happened this time using the logsplitter running about 1000 rpm.

I do remember it happening before and it cleared away after a bit of roadwork. It happened this time using the logsplitter running about 1000 rpm.
Recipe for oil up the exhaust, if you could use most of its horsepower safely for a day it’d come right, the liners are probably glazed from gentle work. Problem is you need to keep reasonably brisk work to them to make sure it doesn’t come back. Diesel engines hate idling. If you really wanted to you could remove the pistons and machine then to take a second oil control ring, this can cost you up to 5% of your HP in friction.

Ahh look lads, it's not the skimming itself that I'm avoiding ,I've been through the process too many times over the years.
But anytime I left a head in for skimming , it ended up with reconditioning of injectors and re-grinding of valves and valve seats injector nozzles etc-etc.
Could you not get the head skimmed and leave all else as is

I’d consider skimming important especially if the engine has overheated. A head gasket and labour would cost more than a skim. It’d be like fitting new brake pads to scored brake discs.

What's the opinions, headgasket or worse? :cry:

View attachment 79271
Probably just needs a good days work, those engines are usually dry but they do like to be worked under load. Have also seen it when a very high spec oil is used and it throws it up the exhaust. Once the correct grade is used it stops it! Head gasket failure is rare enough on these so I wouldn’t be rushing to do it.

The 3600 Ford used do the same on the log splitter. A bit of hard work used burn off the oil and clean it up. The engine was clapped out in it and has since been rebuilt.

Back