What are you up to in the workshop?

I see a lad locally selling stainless steel catering tables (worktops) fairly reasonably.

Has anyone ever used such things as a workbench?

Obviously I'd mound my vice on something much heavier.
But thinking a SS table either side would be just the job?

they don't tend to be very thick. take a look underneath and see if there's much structure. if not then it should be easy to bond a sheet of ply or similar underneath which would make it a lot more dent resistant.

Reactions: AYF
I see a lad locally selling stainless steel catering tables (worktops) fairly reasonably.

Has anyone ever used such things as a workbench?

Obviously I'd mound my vice on something much heavier.
But thinking a SS table either side would be just the job?
Another consideration,if you're planning welding mild steel near or on it ,weld spots/ snots, really take a good holt to stainless.

Bearing collapsed on one of the idlers, locked the whole thing solid.
Gears were ok so replaced all the bearings when it was apart.

Them kuhns are weak enough but nothing to touch them to cut.
There new mowers look serious
That’s one thing I wouldn’t praise works 3160 Kuhn for (cutting well) . Not fond of very lodged crops great mower to follow the ground though . Blade guards between the skids are very poorly held in place . . Supposedly the newer version has a different profile to the bed and cuts lodged grass cleaner .

That’s one thing I wouldn’t praise works 3160 Kuhn for (cutting well) . Not fond of very lodged crops great mower to follow the ground though . Blade guards between the skids are very poorly held in place . . Supposedly the newer version has a different profile to the bed and cuts lodged grass cleaner .
That's interesting if i was changing mowers kuhn would be my too choice

8 different gears with broken teeth, whole stripdown and washout necessary in case theres a chip lurking in the case still.

I think the reason my 700 and 800 Kuhn mowers have lasted so well is the fact there belt driven,I remember a local contractor scrapping a 702 at only a couple of years old because it ate itself,he said his belt drive Kuhns never had any bother.

I think the reason my 700 and 800 Kuhn mowers have lasted so well is the fact there belt driven,I remember a local contractor scrapping a 702 at only a couple of years old because it ate itself,he said his belt drive Kuhns never had any bother.
I’d say this one encountered an immovable obstacle, problem is if one tooth broke you still need to do a total strip down if you can’t find the shrapnel. The belts are your weak link rather than a shaft drive, there is a slip clutch on this one though.

we rebuilt the bed on our krone and i somehow think it looked easier than most outer makes to strip and build. parts not that dear either compared to others

Local lad had a demo of a front and back mounted john deere mower`s recenlty . Was really impressed with the cut from them . Under the john deere green paint you could see kuhn red after the first field .
That's interesting if i was changing mowers kuhn would be my too choice

Back