What are you up to in the workshop?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BasilSeal, Dec 7, 2009.

1. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

Yep John's one is still going strong from what I heard! ;)

2. tinman

tinman Very Senior Member

good god, that looks even weaker than yours, your safe enuf then so.
    id have a bad habit of over engineering stuff, sometimes lighter will do.

you not too worried about the packer cumin up as far as he was i take it.

3. recycled

recycled Moderator

on mine ive got the box section coming over the top of the mounting points then heavy flat bar down to the holes which gives it a b it more clearance 6 to 8 inch clearance to the roller . were not planning to use it to deep so that should be pleanty till the tynes wear well down

4. Mike

Mike Member

Whats going on the back of the tractor?

5. recycled

recycled Moderator

got some more welded up today , got it fitted on lifted it with the tractor , the front suspension went down the front tyres are a bit soft and the back end lifted and its not of the ground far enough :blushing::blushing::blushing: back to the drawing board :001_rolleyes: think if put the lower links hitch points a bit lower i should get away with it

just a hayes harrow going on the back , for grass reseeds helps to level and firm up the ground

Attached Files:

6. tinman

i know its a wild pile of work now, but could it be a foot closer to the tractor too.

7. recycled

recycled Moderator

cant go any closer, the roller is floating so when you lift the ph the roller drops when its sat into the ground it closer to the links . it might need to be slightly further away when i stick on the lower lifting points

8. tinman

if you go out any further with it you will be able to change the back wheels without a jack:laugh:

9. speedstar

speedstar Well-Known Member

Is your S/P all ways parked outside ?

10. recycled

recycled Moderator

no it was it the shed all winter but it was moved out to make space to take the blue tractor to bits ( breaks) and some maintenance on other stuff as well . new shed badly needed along with concrete floor . last winter we diodnt have a chopper so that helped and this year it spent a month or so at the dealers getting updates done .
    thats the silage pit its sitting in there:lol: all 30foot by 50 ish

11. speedstar

The Brakes away in the blue one or are you just changing the disc's ?

12. recycled

recycled Moderator

4000hrs on the clock it doesn't do any haulage work . 2 discs either side on the back plus proper brakes on the front hubs and the back brakes on left side totaly gone and right side just about away as well

13. recycled

recycled Moderator

some 1 suggested to me today we would have been better mounting the hayes harrow onto the back of the power harrow rather than try and put the ph on the front , it would have been a hell of a length but i got me thinking that hydraulic toplink to the hays harrow for transport and it might have worked just as well :angry: . pto causing us bother now to , pulled it of thought it would be best to use the origional is its got a dirty great clutch on it , but it turns out its got a big 6 spline shaft on it and on the side we want to drive its just a standard 6 spline shaft and were having problems sorcing an adapter to take it from a large 6 splin to the standard 1 , it seems its easy to get a large 21 spling to a standard 6 but not a large 6 to a standard 6 , good a dealer looking 4 1 for us

14. speedstar

Its the same old story with all 50kph tractor the brakes are not up to the job of stopping the tractor on its own,Think you need to take that a part every year & put new disc's in there, just done a one of our MF's never been on a trailer in the last year , but the brakes had a lot of were on them so put a set of disc in it at £115 each cheap :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:Would have been a big job if the brakes had gone all together

Attached Files:

15. recycled

recycled Moderator

we been doing the claas tractors after 5000hrs but the silage trailer brakes and slurry tanker brakes are all in good working order , 1 1 claas with a dodgy trailer braking valve , pressure was coming on but not holding , its second set of brakes didnt last long , we found the fault after that . oviously the claas brakes are identical to the ones in your pics . nh discs were £200 each and another 200 for 1 of the steel plates thats between the discs

16. speedstar

Yes saw the claas back ends getting made in the Gima MF factory last week, same set up as the MF, we do ours every year now & have done for the last 3 or 4 year, Only takes a afternoon to do both sides now so its not a big job.

17. Gander

Gander Well-Known Member

Same here, do brakes every year in every tractor, cept the 62, it never gets out of C range anyway. Still managed to pull a set out of a 6820 in 2 months though, you would think the lad driving it would notice that the trailer brakes were completlely out of ajustment, got a nasty shock when I went to plough one day.

Its not a big job to change them, and saves any worry.

18. recycled

recycled Moderator

back at the frame again today , got the linkage points lowered and thats given more hight but had to then lower and lengthen top link as well , its starting to resemble apatchwork quilt now :001_rolleyes:. some of the pics a bit smudgy

Attached Files:

19. tinman

what pressure is in that front tyre as it is?

20. davedb

davedb Well-Known Member

looks like your getting there now, front tyres are well squashed, how heavy will that ph be? some weight i bet.
    will you put it on a trailer for road use? looks like it would be a bit lethal with its on the front.

21. tinman

when he has all on she will be real handy to turn into a field.:lol:
    maybe they have good wide gaps round cycles parts, not so the case round here.
    yrs ago i put on 2x 13 ft gates on my silage ground fields, men stopped to tell me i was wasting gates:whistling:

22. recycled

recycled Moderator

i put some air in the tyres the other day ,it said on the gauge 20psi but i think it will be closer to 16psi or less , my good gauge packed in the other day , there big tyres though and will cope with the weight no problem , theres a hell of a weight in our front reeler with 600m+ of layflat on it and they cope with it alright . did look at the plate today think it 1400kg in it presumably that includes the roller

23. tinman

you would be safe enuf in good ground, ground here is soft at the best of times so that weight up front would be a no go.

looks good now tho, you have it well sorted :thumbup1:

24. recycled

recycled Moderator

the option to stick on the back is still there :thumbup1: gearbox didnt require turning

25. recycled

recycled Moderator

this power harrow is turning out to be a right royal pain in the arse:thumbdown:
    we were hoping to use the original pto shaft on it but when we pulled it off we discovered that it was a bigger than standard 6 spline shaft on it . the measurement might be wrong im doing it from memory but i think its an 1"3/4 6 spline shaft thats on it instead of a standard 1"3/8 shaft like whats on a tractor ,and the shaft coming out of the grearbox is the same as a standard 6 spline shaft . no problem just get an adapter but not surprisingly no 1 does an adapter for the standard shaft up to the big shaft , can get 1 the other way and a 21 spline up to the big 6 but not the standard 6 up to a big 6 spline . so he started phoning round to see what others had done , we already new that ancroft-tractors had made a dozen or more frames for mounting it onto the front but they wouldnt tell us what they had done with the drive and just told us we would need to go back to the dealer and get him to get onto kuhn to find out how to do it . so we got onto kuhn and they dont do kits for front mounting so they dont know anything about these front mounted ph but he thought it could be done ok . then they got back to us to say the gearbox might need to get turned which wont be easy either as its off set so top cover would need to come of to do it . then they came back again and said that wouldnt work as the pto would be turning the wrong way and its a ratchet type cluch thats on it so it wont work going in reverse . so back to the standard shaft thats already coming out the back on the gearbox but it turns out now that its only for driving an air drill and its not a propper hardened shaft , instead its just been case hardened and not strong enough to take the full drive through it :001_rolleyes: but kuhn reckon we should be able to get a shaft made up for it probably a 21 spline witch we can get an adapter for but that still leaves us with a drive shaft clutch thats going the wrong way